Hello! New here looking for advice

Jewelk

Jan 4, 2024
Hello i currently am in a situation of caring for a man who has lived with me now for 20 years, he has Down syndrome, and Alzheimer’s and it is very frustrating dealing with him. I find myself losing patience. If anyone understands Down syndrome a personality trait is stubbornness. But he is also very limited verbally with much difficulty speaking, and now moments where He appears not to have a clue what I’m telling him. I know he can’t help it, but it makes it extremely difficult to communicate with him at all. I don’t know whether Alzheimer’s presents differently in someone with a mental and social, verbal disability or if it is similar. Just reaching out to see if anyone else has similar situation?

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Jewelk and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a lot of shared experience of dementia to be found here, so I am glad you have joined us.
I am sorry to read of your situation. I'm afraid I don't have any knowledge or experience the issues you mention, but I'm sure others do and will be along with their suggestions.
I just wanted to welcome you, and hope you will find this forum useful for information, and any particular advice if you need it, do just ask, as members here really do want to help.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Jewelk Welcome from me too.

I don`t know if these links will help you but I`m posting it just in case.