Criteria for Care Home Placement

Moemoe69

Aug 26, 2023
Hello - I am caring for my 76 yr old husband who has moderate Alzheimer’s. I live in the US, so our health system options are limited unless you can afford 10k a month!
Here is my situation:
Husband hasn’t driven in over a year. Is only pleasant when he gets his way. If I encourage him to go to a Sr Day Program for a few hrs, he get angry, agitated, aggressive. He’s tried to hit me. I’m exhausted trying to keep the peace.
Is there medication that can address his behavior? It’s too early push for a care placement. He’s continent. He can shower, shave. His short term memory is gone.
I’ve enjoyed reading other’s stories and know that I’m not alone.
Thanks for any advice.
Maureen

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Moemoe69.

I’m sorry to read about your situation. I’m glad you’ve found the forum and have been finding the posts you’ve read helpful. You’re certainly not alone here.

It’s worrying that you’re facing physical aggression. I‘m not sure what support services would be available for you in the US. It might be helpful for you to have a look at what support might be available to you locally using this link -

We have members from all over the world here on this forum and I think you’ll find lots of support and understanding here.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If my (now late) wife had written this about me I'd telling her to put me in home. It was her that had the AZ not me so I never felt too threatened by her, other than the time she got her hands on a kitchen knife, but that's another story.
K