Handing out cards

Chrismitch

Jun 23, 2011
I've just read some posts on another thread about giving people you meet a card explaining that your OH has Alzheimer's. I do this all the time, especially if I can see my husband beginning to become argumentative. It says, Peter M has AD. Please be understanding if any difficulties may arise. This usually diffuses the situation immediately and people change and become very helpful and understanding. I hope this helps.
Chris

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Our Alzheimers Society has printed card similar to yours and I would keep a few in my handbag. I didn't hand out a lot but did once or twice when Ray got agitated in a shop and wanted me to buy something we didn't need or protested because I put the armfull of chocolate biscuits back on the shelves. As he was diabetic it was a problem if he had access to them, and high sugar combined with dementia is a disaster waiting to happen.

I do think the general public does respond well once they know it is a problem that you are finding it difficult to deal with also.

Sue.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Just a thought, many people won't know what AD is, I certainly didn't until I came on this forum, I have "Allen has dementia" on my pieces of card that I sometimes have to use I think everyone will understand that ,

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband carried a card in his wallet that was supplied to us by the Carers Association. It simply said I have dementia and had contact numbers on it.

He was admitted to an assessment centre last year and the carers there said that on several occasions when he had been very agitated and difficult he had whipped out his wallet taken out the card held it in front of their noses and declared " I have dementia".
They said it was just like he was saying I have dementia and I am allowed to act this way.

Jay

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My husband carried a card in his wallet that was supplied to us by the Carers Association. It simply said I have dementia and had contact numbers on it.

He was admitted to an assessment centre last year and the carers there said that on several occasions when he had been very agitated and difficult he had whipped out his wallet taken out the card held it in front of their noses and declared " I have dementia".
They said it was just like he was saying I have dementia and I am allowed to act this way.

Jay

My husband doesn't know that he has dementia and is never alone so this couldn't happen but I can see it being a problem for someone who does,they could use it as a excuse for unsocial behaviour,

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband doesn't know that he has dementia and is never alone so this couldn't happen but I can see it being a problem for someone who does,they could use it as a excuse for unsocial behaviour,

My husband was fine with saying he had dementia but would not accept the word Alzheimer's. If he saw anything to do with Alzheimer's it always seemed to be in the late stages and he would say I don't have that do I? I would always reply by saying dementia comes in many different forms, that is just one of them. Not lying just telling the truth. He appeared to be very afraid of the word Alzheimer's so I was not going to add to his distress.

My husband was never on his own but I felt the card in his wallet a safety issue just in case and I also carried a card saying I was a carer with contact numbers on, in case something happened to me and someone else would know there would be problem.

Of course if my husband had not known he had dementia then his card would not have existed but I would have still carried one. I can't answer for others but my husband used his in the assessment centre to explain there was a reason for his behaviour not as an excuse to behave badly.

Caution is my middle name,

Jay

Last edited: