Tribute to Talking Point

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by Lynne, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Lynne

Lynne Registered User

Jun 3, 2005
    Suffolk,England
    #1 Lynne, Jun 8, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
    I am reproducing below part of a response posted elsewhere in answer to a researcher asking about the popularity and benefits of health forums like Talking Point.

It occurred to me that perhaps we don't say 'thank you' often enough to the founders and moderators of TP, and express how much their creation means to us. This is what it means to me.

2. mel

mel Registered User

Apr 30, 2006
    Sheffield
    Hi Lynne
    That's absolutely fantastic....
    I agree with everything you say..
    Wonderful!!
    finding this site has given me an absolute lifeline....I have learned so much in the short time I've been a member.....and it keeps me sane!!!
    Wendy

3. Kathleen

Kathleen Registered User

Mar 12, 2005
    West Sussex
    Hi Lynne

Well done, I have been able to share thoughts and feelings that only those on this site understand, others who are unaffected by AD would never ever be able to understand.

Here, talking to others, I feel comfortable, understood and never judged.

Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart.

Kathleen

4. DickG

DickG Registered User

Feb 26, 2006
    Stow-on-the-Wold
    Hi Lynne

How right you are , we owe so much to those who created TP and to the moderators who do a sterling job.

On TP I can be the hard man, the wimp, decisive, indecisive, happy, sad and even suicidal and there is always someone who has been there, who understands and can offer sound advice. Thank you all.

Dick

5. dmc

dmc Registered User

Mar 13, 2006
    I too would like to add my own thanks to the others, apart from all the serious issues ive also been so uplifted by the spirit of those on here as well.
    I dont know what id do without TP and its members
    THANKYOU xx

6. Nutty Nan

Nutty Nan Registered User

Nov 2, 2003
    Buckinghamshire
    Longest thread

I couldn't agree more with all that has been said so far! This should be the start of the longest thread ever - on TP, we stand united.
    We don't have to mince our words, we give and get support, nobody sees our tears (very therapeutic at times!), and above all, we never have to worry about boring someone by talking about the same old subject, yet again ....... With (most) friends and colleagues I try and avoid the subject, pretend that it is no big deal, for fear that they will end up avoiding me if I 'go on about it'. But sometimes that's all I want to do: talk about this totally absorbing subject that has turned our lives upside down and keeps us all prisoners. My husband has lost his freedom, his independence, his dignity and a lot of his spirit, whilst the rest of the family are caught up in his care, and with that have lost the spontaneity of the brighter side of life.
    As soon as we manage a new development on this scary rollercoaster, something new hits us, and it is the easiest thing to visit TP, ask everyone else's advice - we never feel odd, nothing is tabu, no answerphones that don't get answered, no office hours, no GPs/CPNs/SSs who make us feel we are a nuisance, we are never on our own, there is always someone who can give us advice, a lift, a hug, or cheer us up with a silly joke - and there is always someone else who is worse off: not always an easy read, but it does put things into perspective and often makes me count my blessings.
    THANKS to those who started it, and to everyone of you who is keeping TP going. It is, indeed, a veritable lifeline!!!