Had enough today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
LadyA, morning to you as well. Yes, last night I got that autumnal sensation too.

Anyway, I won't keep you from your work... back out to that orchard.:D

Hope everyone is ok, it's quiet here.

Hug xxx

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Hope everyone here is OK. Lavender - sounds like some good news for you, hope it continues to be better news all the time.

I've had a splitting headache the last few days and yesterday felt sick with it. I was starting to get a bit worried last night, but it's a bit better today. I had a pain in my face again too, so guess maybe sinus related. Really debilitating, a headache like that, horrid. At one point I was actually sitting on the sofa, looking at mum in her armchair, and thinking that physically, she's possibly in better condition than me right now! Last Thursday the carer told me she was up and down the stairs 7 times when I was out - she said it's amazing a 91 year old has so much energy. You're telling me! She's still calm most of the time, but getting more and more confused, just stringing things together, but they don't really make sense. Her hearing is getting worse too, so that doesn't help. She's not deaf, just doesn't seem to clearly hear me sometimes.

I was thinking of calling SS and seeing if they could find somewhere for her in October so that I can go on my walking holiday that's been booked for ages, but wonder if they would let me cancel the request later, if I change my mind? I just have this awful thought that I've been doing this for nearly two years, I put her in somewhere for two weeks, she gets so confused/anxious/agitated, has a fall, that leads to her demise, then what was the 2 years of effort for? The counsellor told me none of this is my fault. I know that, but still ....

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Afternoon Ladies, yes been very quiet on here lately, hope your all ok.
Its very humid here and the odd scattered shower, anyway got the grass cut yesterday in between.
Just been up to the cemetery and all the plants I planted are in full bloom and look lovely so that made me happy.
Marnie regarding your Mum up and down the stairs you wonder were they get the energy from. I remember a few days before Mum went on palliative care, she managed to get down the stairs but no way could we get her back, it was a good job DN arrived as we both carried her back to bed, sadly that was the last time and we got a bed down stairs after that.
All your apples sound scrummy LadyA are you doing any pies or crumbles with them. My Daughter brought me a bowl of brambles yesterday, got them in a crumble as we speak:eek:
Enjoy the rest of the day x

Pollytickle

Nov 15, 2015
My mum utters noises that sound like words & when I don't respond as she thinks I should, she gets so annoyed :( And she is forever slamming down her mug/glass onto a plate or bowl ( 2 dinner plates & a saucer gone to the great crockery rockery in the sky in the last four months :eek: ) or bangs her mug for another cup of tea, thinking she's being funny :eek: ...maybe the first 300 times but not now.

I've been thinking about this list of 'new' symptoms idea...shall we start another thread & nominate one person to have access to fiddle with the post that actually has the List, & can edit in the thread & post number if folk would like to read more? Sort of:-

Want to go home :- known as Sun-downing, as often most noticeable early evening.
Where is Home, posts 72, 102, 447->
Incontinence :- can be urine, bowel or both
Help with Bathing; What help is Available, posts 97-115

What do you think?

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Morning all.

I've been sitting trawling amazon and eBay for fake money for mum. Money seems to have become her latest obsession.

So many fake money sets are one sided, mum's not going to be fooled by that so I thought I'd try the alzheimers society shop.

Sadly the alzheimers society shop doesn't seem to sell fake money which is such a shame, it would be so useful for so many of us. What they do sell is a wooden rounders bat and ball and pegs to mark the bases.

The bat looks to be a proper bat, the pegs have pointy ends. Can you imagine my mum with this lot. Talk about armed and dangerous. I appreciate that products being sold are not just for people with dementia, but please alzheimer's society a few less rounders bat's and pegs (weapons) and a bit of double sided fake money would be so useful.

Moan ends! Have a good day everyone. Xxx

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Good Morning,
Lavender I got Mum some fake money from a toy shop have you any around you. Trouble is even with dementia it didn't wash and she wouldn't accept it.
In the end I just used to give her plenty of change instead. Good luck!
Hope you all have a good start to the week.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Hi Jorgie.

Mum is demanding notes rather than change from the staff, canny or what!

I'm off to the early learning centre in a bit, theirs says it's double sided, it would be good to see how convincing it is. Have a good day. X

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
I hope you source it easily, Lavender. I remember a thread on this topic so I imagine people will reply with ideas.

Wishing everyone a manageable day. Hugs xxx

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Could you scan or photo copy some notes? As long as they are not correct, I.e. Do front ok and the back wrong way up, you are not counterfeiting or trying to defraud with them

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Hope you're successful Lavender sounds like it's going to have to be pretty convincing to fool your Mum, had to laugh only wants notes

My Mum this ks tissues are money, she will fold them quite small then ask me whats written on it then pop it in her pocket seemingly reassured that she's got money with her.

Sorry everyone but I'm back onto bowels again. My GP said to give Mum Laxido morning and night to hopefully keep her going. Well I've only given her 1 sachet each night and this morning before we went to singing for the brain I had to change 3 pads,we leave home at 10.15am and then when we got home change pad again and had Mum sat on loo for 20mins. Everytime I thought that was it cleaned Mum up then more would come. Poor mum can't understand why she needed to stay sat on toilet she has no idea its happening just cant believe it Mum is hardly eating anything where's it all coming From?

On the bright side Mum enjoyed her singing this morning and is now zonked out not surprisingly.

Jorgie so pleased all your plants have grown at the cemetery bet they look lovely.

Hope everyone else is having a reasonable day, LadyA and Jorgie got me wanting all things Apple!

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Rosy I did a bramble crumble yesterday and have never stopped going to the loo:eek:, try your Mum with some if you have any bramble bushes near.
Glad you got to sing for the brain without an accident!
Well after a morning of house cleaning I went and sat down in the Sun and bobbed off, the rain as just woke me up, must have been asleep at least and hour or more.
How have you got on with the pretend money Lavender did you manage to get some and most importantly fool your Mum. Maybe she wants it for a taxi when she next plans her escape:D
Worrier hope your ok not heard from you for a while x
HarryD too.x

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Well I bought the ELC play money. It honestly bares no resemblance to the real thing, but mum accepted it as real and seemed pleased enough with it. She also introduced me to one of the care staff on the ward as her sister Edie (dead in reality), clearly Amanda (the real me) has disappeared from mum's version of the world.

I've had another bit of a challenge to deal with, buying mum shoes without her trying them on first. I ordered some from cosyfeet and took them on today. Mum seems pleased and said they are comfortable so it worked out OK. It was weird though. X

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Morning all.

I've been sitting trawling amazon and eBay for fake money for mum. Money seems to have become her latest obsession.

So many fake money sets are one sided, mum's not going to be fooled by that so I thought I'd try the alzheimers society shop.

Sadly the alzheimers society shop doesn't seem to sell fake money which is such a shame, it would be so useful for so many of us. What they do sell is a wooden rounders bat and ball and pegs to mark the bases.

The bat looks to be a proper bat, the pegs have pointy ends. Can you imagine my mum with this lot. Talk about armed and dangerous. I appreciate that products being sold are not just for people with dementia, but please alzheimer's society a few less rounders bat's and pegs (weapons) and a bit of double sided fake money would be so useful.

Moan ends! Have a good day everyone. Xxx

Hi Lavender,

I got my Dad some fake money (from eBay). it looked the part but as it still cost a few quid and I thought well this will just get lost, so I will I photocopy it and glue the two sides together...kind of defeated the object, as I could have just photocopied real notes!! When folded over and put in a plastic money bag, it looked the part. I gave it to Dad, he put in his shirt pocket and 5 minutes later he asked me again about money.....We can but try! :rolleyes: Gx

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Lavender, good to hear the money you got is satisfactory.

I used to trace around my mum's shoes, looked bonkers placing shop shoes on the template but I didn't mind once it worked. Kept receipts mind you, just in case.

Oh, rosy, what an ordeal for you both. Hope all iscalm this evening. Hugs x

(((Jorgie))) x

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
I'm convinced your Mums planning a break out Lavender, she's got her fare to wherever Now! xx

Will get the bramley apples once Mum has stopped going Jorgie. At present we are still filling the pads, never had children but now have a real empathy for all those nappy changes. Had another 3 changes before we managed to get out of the house to go singing again, wasn't sure if we would make it but today was at the fire station and I wasn't going to give up today's perks in a hurry so armed with extra pads in my bag off we went.
Mum enjoyed it and yes you guessed so did I

Hope everyone is having a good day poured down here early on but beautiful now xx

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Evening everyone. Lavender - your post about the rounders kit made me laugh. I hope the fake money pacifies your mum and hope everyone else's ideas haven't prompted illegal activity!

Rosy - I never had children either but often think "this must be what it's like" when helping mum in the loo. I guess it's easier with smaller people though. I don't actually mind it as much as I thought I would, but when mum has the odd bout of diarrhoea, well, that's not very nice. My mum seems to be obsessed with tissues. At the moment before she starts to eat at the table, she has to fold and lay three tissues around the plate. It's all very weird, but neither dangerous nor annoying, so I just let her get on with it. Sometimes she will sit on a box of tissues and flatten it - no idea what that's about!

Mum is now much calmer, even the carer says she's more subdued (apart from the going up and down stairs several times). I don't mind her doing the stairs, but I guess the carer is worried there may be a fall on her watch (though mum seems to be very careful about holding onto the bannister). My headache has finally eased, thank God. I think it was sinus related. I read on line that taking antihistamine can help, so I did, and it did. It's been much better today. Took mum to M&S for a food shop today, she loves fish and it seems to be the best place to get a nice variety. They do nice cakes as well! As soon as we get back from somewhere she's asking if we're going out. She seems to be retaining less and less. But, the incontinence is still very minimal, which I'm very grateful for. It was dreadful at the start, she had no control over her bladder whatsoever, but eventually that improved. Odd, but very welcome.

I've accepted my fate now and am even more determined for mum's dementia not to beat me into submission, so will carry on at home. I really, really hope and pray that she continues to become even calmer, which will hopefully make things a bit easier for me.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Marnie, have you thought about putting a second bannister rail on the stairs? Mum's got one on each side. She had the second one fitted when she had her knee replacement several years ago, and it really helps her now that she's older and has some mobility problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.