Where to get help

mum&daughter1

Dec 18, 2023
Hello there,

I need to get some help with my parents and am going round in circle. I was advised by adult services after a meeting that they had round my parnet house that my parents don't want any help- but the lady could clearly she can see that I need someone else to take the slack from me and also could see that mum isnt washing or walking/exercising etc. She said i was in that tricky stage before they really really need help. She suggested I start with getting a cleaner that is willing to do a bit more as it may be more accepted by my parents- but so far the person I was recommended to said I need more than she is able to do.
Is there any type of person that is a kind of helper in general out there? I dont even know what to google. I currently need someone else who pops in once a day- make sure mum is up- encourages that she changes her incontinence pants and does a wipe all over and changes her clothes, encourages her to do her rehab exercises and gets her up and walking a few times. And also someone that can take my parents to appointments as they are endless with both their health issues- and I need someone who listens as well as take as they don't remember anything . Everything with mum has gone very fast with this time last year being a difference that would take anyones (who knows her) breath away. Dad has been showing signs for longer despite being 8 years younger than mum. But since diagosed and being on meds he has stayed roughly the same. The latest thing being his licence taken away but I think the slight decline is down to Mum not being able to tell him what to do. She always bossed him around and more so when he started being forgetful, but now he has no-one dictating things. He looks after himself showering etc, but he doesn't see what mum needs and will accept whatever she says to the point i had to insist on him buying ready meals for both of them for dinner and making sure mum has a meal instead of a bowl of prawns- and not asking mum if she wants prawns and half a roll for dinner as that was what she had fancied 2 years agao when she had just got over an illness but was now capable of eating more. Is this basically a carer? Mum really needs personal care as she is now double incontinent and doesnt wash and stays in the same clothes all week until I insist that we change them. She says they just look the same but they get washed and changed, but I point out the food all down and she agrees to change.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I am assuming that your parents would be funding this themselves? If so then maybe you need to ring around care agencies to see what they will offer and if it matches what you need. Sadly there is a huge shortage of paid carers so I’m sorry to say you may struggle with this. Would just having a cleaner in be a good starting place, they may not do the level of things you require but it would take some of the strain off you and it is a good place to start getting your parents used to having people around. Then you can build up to personal care. I’m afraid that the sw is right, they can’t make someone accept care if that person still has mental capacity.
It might also be worth looking to see if there are any befriending services locally to your parents .(although they can be a bit relief the person has dementia)

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I engaged a befriender/carer to 'help with the dog'. It was only once a week for 6 hours (giving me some leisure time) but made a big difference to my wife's personal care and hygiene routine. Grudging at first. my wife soon got used to having someone else to talk to and take her out. Something similar for fewer hours and several times a week might be an option for you. My wife was self-funding so social services were not involved beyond doing an initial assessment.