Game's to play with mother who has late stage dementia...

Jjrog62

Nov 18, 2020
Orléans
Hi , My mom is in the late stages of dementia, I was getting very frustrated because she can't call out anymore because she can't use the phone and rarely can pick up . She used to watch a lot of TV but now can't use the remote and loses interest very quickly.
Why was I getting frustrated when I just needed to find something that would make her and me happy.
I soon started trying different things and they seem to work.
I noticed she had very little strength in her hands so I took a pair of socks and rolled them up and we started to play catch, slowly at first then after a few weeks she could really toss that rock. Now she can hold cups better and her strength has greatly improved.
After a few weeks of that I got her in to sock basketball. I will do up around 5 socks in balls and have a waste paper basket and she tries to score a hoop, she does pretty good but I often have to move pretty fast to make sure it goes in.
The best thing for her is when she tosses the sock as far away as possible and laughs like crazy as she sees me fall to the ground.
I am trying some other things like Soccer, challenging for her but don't get to close to her when she kicks away. I am trying to find a really light racquet to see if she might be able to do that.
She is teaching me so much in how I have to find things that adapt to her and not me trying to follow traditional ways.
It is pretty amazing how people can adapt to change, she is teaching me this big time.

If anyone has different things they have found that are helpful please share.

I also have lots of stuffed animals around the room which she loves and probably her favorite thing is watching the kids across the street through her 2 large windows . Also keep stereo on low with music...

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well done @Jjrog62 You are really trying hard to think of something to help your mother stay active.

I don`t know if there`s anything here which is suitable although I think you`ll fine it hard to improve on ball socks. Do you think a badminton racquet would be lightweight enough?

Would your mum like children`s snap cards or picture lotto?

Jjrog62

Nov 18, 2020
Orléans
Badminton racquet was one of the first things I tried but was to hard for her to handle. I will just keep trying things that make her smile .
Used a ping pong ball which was small and she could throw but it tired me out chasing it all over the room.
It will be different for everyone but keep trying.
The one thing I found very frustrating is instead of trying to help them walk again they just put people in wheelchairs and give them now therapy. It's so hard to see your loved one being limited in what they can do.

Anyone have an idea for when you try and call someone with dementia and they don't hang up the phone but there is no one to hang it up for them. Phone that will automatically reset when off the hook.
Have not been able to find such a thing.

Thanks Jeff

🌼Always try and remember you are not alone and if you think you are the only one going through this that is not the case...Ask a question, just keep going forward even though it is so hard...🌼

CathSons

Jan 28, 2024
Hi , My mom is in the late stages of dementia, I was getting very frustrated because she can't call out anymore because she can't use the phone and rarely can pick up . She used to watch a lot of TV but now can't use the remote and loses interest very quickly.
Why was I getting frustrated when I just needed to find something that would make her and me happy.
I noticed she had very little strength in her hands so I took a pair of socks and rolled them up and we started to play catch, slowly at first then after a few weeks she could really toss that rock. Now she can hold cups better and her strength has greatly improved.
After a few weeks of that I got her in to sock basketball. I will do up around 5 socks in balls and have a waste paper basket and she tries to score a hoop, she does pretty good but I often have to move pretty fast to make sure it goes in.
The best thing for her is when she tosses the sock as far away as possible and laughs like crazy as she sees me fall to the ground.
I am trying some other things like Soccer, challenging for her but don't get to close to her when she kicks away. I am trying to find a really light racquet to see if she might be able to do that.
She is teaching me so much in how I have to find things that adapt to her and not me trying to follow traditional ways.
It is pretty amazing how people can adapt to change, she is teaching me this big time.

I also have lots of stuffed animals around the room which she loves and probably her favorite thing is watching the kids across the street through her 2 large windows . Also keep stereo on low with music...
That’s a great idea I will definitely give that a go with my mum! Thanks!

Jjrog62

Nov 18, 2020
Orléans
Just a though that those people out there with parents or loved ones in later stages of dementia. Regular TV is very hard for most people in late stage dementia to keep track. I have started to either set the tv on some of these HD channels that show different shows about wildlife or aquarium channels , I also have done up several USB sticks that repeat funny cat videos or anything they may like.
The idea is anything they look up it will get them interested and usually a big smile will follow.
You can even set up some great Screensavers on most tvs...

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023

Hi @Jjrog62 , it's difficult to suggest games as skills are lost at different rates. Would she manage Jenga, velcro target games, patting balloons ,straw and tennis ball blown like a blow football? Would she find snakes and ladders amusing if you kept going down snakes and she landed on ladders? How about a toddlers type of shape sorter or puzzles with single pieces to slot in a board? It depends on whether she has dexterity and her level of thinking skill. My OH is late mid stage at a guess and these are the type of things he can manage with help.

Jjrog62

Nov 18, 2020
Orléans
Thanks for the ideas , most of them are beyond her ability but the one that I think she might like is the straw and the balloon blowing it back and forth also be great for her breathing.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Thanks for the ideas , most of them are beyond her ability but the one that I think she might like is the straw and the balloon blowing it back and forth also be great for her breathing.
In my last post meant straw and table tennis ball. Think tennis ball would take too much puff 😂😂 can she suck up a straw to lift and transfer something lightweight?

Jjrog62

Nov 18, 2020
Orléans
Something I will have to try with her,
You're right the tennis ball would take so really good lungs...we all keep trying and listening and giving each other ideas...Thanks from my Mom and me...

Bfam

Jun 24, 2017
Sounds like you are doing a great job with activities, so hard to find what works with some days better than others - Some I found helpful were sorting, drawing painting (loved all the mess!) baking, just being in nature good, pets (dog), videos and picture books, music & dance - I put together playlists & took to 'singing for the brain' and continued the same songs when we could no longer go. M&S do a 'memories' magazine every couple of months that has stuff in for men and women, I understand there is a specific TV streaming channel for Dementia, think its called My Live TV. Aromatherapy, manicures ... Website DailySparkle.co.uk for care home activity coordinators has lots

Jjrog62

Nov 18, 2020
Orléans
With the TV which has a slot for a memory card I just go on places like Utube or many other sites . Download the good ones and edit it down where she can have 1 0 hours or more to watch whenever she wants.