Forward Ho!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
That happened when my husband was in hospital, I had been chatting to the chap in the bed opposite who was telling me he had had a massive heart attack but he seemed quite chipper, went off to the toilet under his own steam and never came back. Big rush of staff, screens up around the toilets and that was that, he'd dropped dead. Certainly shakes you up.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

:-o It would do!

Here is William, looking better than he has in absolutely ages, thanks to all the fluids he's had by IV this week!

Attachments

• 1432765434268.jpg
    1432765434268.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 419

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And here, for anyone interested, are the very busy bees yesterday!

Attachments

• 1432765549480.jpg
    1432765549480.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 458

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
What a lovely picture of William. He looks so young and well that it's hard to believe he has been so ill. Hope his return to CH goes smoothly and he is made comfortable.

Love the hive. Do you get much honey? Can't imagine a garden without bees.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yes, he does look very well - as people say here "It's amazing how well you look when you're sick!" He hasn't looked so well in so very long - no doubt it won't take long for him to go down, once they remove the IV.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Yes, he does look very well - as people say here "It's amazing how well you look when you're sick!" He hasn't looked so well in so very long - no doubt it won't take long for him to go down, once they remove the IV.

Lovely, heartwarming photo LadyA :) how are you bearing up? Lots of love to you and William xxxx ❤️ xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
smashing photo Lady A, he looks so well, hope he stays well when he returns to home.
Look after yourself. love the bees. x

He won't stay well too long Mabbs. He can no longer swallow, so he will just be on tiny teaspoons of very thickened "comfort" food - not enough to sustain him. And he certainly won't be able to take in enough fluids to sustain him that way. He is on end of life care now. And in spite of all the IV antibiotics, he still has a horrible chesty cough. So, it really is only a matter of time. How long is anybody's guess.

He didn't get back to the nursing home today after all. The ambulance guys were actually standing at the bottom of his bed with the transfer trolley, the transfer letter was there, attached to his chart, waiting to go with them to the nursing home. Then the doctor came along and said no, they were keeping him another 24 hours as his sodium levels were too high, and they wanted to give him more fluids! So they have re-booked the ambulance for tomorrow afternoon.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh - I forgot the question about the honey! No, so far we haven't had any. The bees only arrived during the middle of last Summer. In my chimney! What happened was that a small swarm landed in the chimney, so SIL borrowed a "bee box" - a small box like a small hive, to try and lure them out of the chimney and into that. The box was put out beside the house, on the driveway. The swarm duly went into the box. Sadly, it was only a very small swarm, and it didn't stay there. We though "Oh well." - but I didn't get around to putting the box away! I just moved it out of my way, and put it against the garage door. A couple of days later, the care assistant was coming in one evening to bath William, and he said "What gives? There's some load of bees out there!" - I went out to check, and the bee box was positively vibrating with the buzzing from inside, and there were literally hundreds of bees congregating around the area! Called SIL and he & his brother came around dusk to check - and there were literally thousands of bees in the box! So we transferred it to the waiting empty hive, and the colony has thrived. But as they were new there, they didn't take any honey last year, they let the bees have it to feed themselves through the Winter. This year, not sure if they are going to take any either - SIL's brother is the experienced bee-keeper, and he wants to multiply the colonies by dividing this one, as they are particularly placid bees. You can work right around the hive and they don't bother you at all. Eventually, they hope to have several hives and be able to sell some honey. Personally, I could just sit out there for a long time, watching and listening to the bees!

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Hope William gets back to the NH and the calmer environment of his own room LadyA. Amazing what a bit of saline can do to the visage - perhaps we should all be hooked up during the hours of darkness. Seriously though, when my husband allowed himself to be hydrated (IV lines did not stay in his arms for very long I can tell you) he returned to looking young and handsome just like William in that wonderful photo. Loving thoughts to both of you WIFE

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yes, his IV line had to be held in by bandaging his entire forearm, wrist to elbow!
He is now back in the nursing home. The hospital estimate he will survive another six to eight weeks, maximum. Bless him, when he found himself back in his own bed and room, he started to cry and said " Is it really really? " and managed a couple of smiles when familiar staff came to say hello.
Fast asleep now, clutching my hand.

I have a cold and am fed up, so took myself to the hairdressers this morning and had my hair done.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Hope William has made it 'home' today, LadyA, and, as WIFE says, is more comfortable. Fascinating reading about the bees and how they returned to the box. They are such amazing little creatures.

Thinking of you both.

Verity xx

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Yes, his IV line had to be held in by bandaging his entire forearm, wrist to elbow!
He is now back in the nursing home. The hospital estimate he will survive another six to eight weeks, maximum. Bless him, when he found himself back in his own bed and room, he started to cry and said " Is it really really? " and managed a couple of smiles when familiar staff came to say hello.
Fast asleep now, clutching my hand.

I have a cold and am fed up, so took myself to the hairdressers this morning and had my hair done.

Im glad he's back in familiar surroundings & I hope the hairdo lifted your spirits xx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Glad to hear William is back in familiar surroundings . Wishing you strength for the coming weeks Lady A , squeezing you tightly , much love xxxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so glad William is back (and what a lovely photo :D) as I began to worry that the doctor was doing a lot of bum covering and it would either never happen or poor William would be subjected to a lot of invasive things.