Forward Ho!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I too think of you both ladya , hope the sleep has found you xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

It does Heike, with the aid of the herbal remedies I'm taking! I'm using Lane's Kalms tablets by day,and Melissa Dream at night. Sleeping pretty well, which is something new!

I was talking to two friends in the last couple of days, both ex nurses (one dementia care, the other theatre sister), and they both said they wouldn't be inclined to allow them to put a peg in - apart from the fact that surgery on someone in William's condition would not be good at all, and the fact that he would most likely not leave a peg in - they both said that not inserting a peg in the first place is one thing. But that once they have inserted it and started peg feeding, it would be almost impossible for me to get them to remove it later. Because they would be afraid of being accused of euthanasia - because removing the peg could be construed as actively doing something to cause a death. Unlikely, in and of itself, but the possibility is there.

We actually had a very interesting case locally a couple of years ago. A woman in a nursing home died. Her son was with her at the time, and apparently he told a family member he couldn't stand watching her anymore, and had put a pillow over her face. He was arrested and charged with murder. The post mortem showed the woman had died from asphyxiation. So it went to trial. At the trial though, the doctor who certified death said that he wouldn't be at all sure that she wasn't already dead before the pillow was put over her face. So the son was acquitted, with the judge saying that it was just unfortunate that the case had ever had to come to court, as the son had acted purely out of love and compassion for his mother. Bless that doctor.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh LadyA ((hugs))

Well, it's hard to know at the moment with William, Kjn. Antibiotics have such a horrendous affect on them, don't they? So, he may actually rally again. Until next time. So right now, it's day by day and wait and see. Poor William has always been such a terrible patient, having such a horror and dread of doctors and hospitals, and a fear of medicine etc. I've always hoped he would have a swift death, and not linger on, with all this hospitalisation and prodding and probing. He would have hated this. Not what he would have wanted at all.

Must go and try and get some more grass mowed before I go to the hospital.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Oh ladyA your comments about the judge certainly makes me think! Hoping William will rally round without too many evasive intervention , specially if he finds that uncomfortable and confusing . Thinking of both of you (((( huge hug))) xxxxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Dear LadyA. Looks like my app problem is sorted now. Have been able to read but not post without booting up my computer. Am really sorry that William has had such an ordeal and you so much more worry. Hope he will be able to return 'home' soon to peace and quiet. Thinking of you. Love. Verityxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And today, the news is not very good.
This morning, he couldn't swallow anything at all without choking, so the SALT team were called to do a full assessment. It turns out that he has just about no swallowing reflex at all left. So when he appears to be swallowing, what's happening is that stuff is "pooling" in his throat. It takes over ten "swallow" attempts for him to get even the tiniest bit down - and even then there's no guarantee it will go where it should. Thankfully, peg feeding is not a viable option because of his age and condition - they said the surgery would be too much anyway, and would leave him open to so many infections, so they looked quite relieved when I brought the subject up and said it wasn't a road we wanted to go down. So what they are aiming for in the next couple of days is to try and get him "comfort feeding" - to where he can take just a tiny bit, just to have the comfort and taste of a little something. Wouldn't be enough to sustain him though. Then he will go back to the nursing home to be kept comfortable.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
You are so strong lady a to stick to your and Williams chosen path. I hope I will be the same when the time cones.
I hope things will go peacefully for you both

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
And today, the news is not very good.
This morning, he couldn't swallow anything at all without choking, so the SALT team were called to do a full assessment. It turns out that he has just about no swallowing reflex at all left. So when he appears to be swallowing, what's happening is that stuff is "pooling" in his throat. It takes over ten "swallow" attempts for him to get even the tiniest bit down - and even then there's no guarantee it will go where it should. Thankfully, peg feeding is not a viable option because of his age and condition - they said the surgery would be too much anyway, and would leave him open to so many infections, so they looked quite relieved when I brought the subject up and said it wasn't a road we wanted to go down. So what they are aiming for in the next couple of days is to try and get him "comfort feeding" - to where he can take just a tiny bit, just to have the comfort and taste of a little something. Wouldn't be enough to sustain him though. Then he will go back to the nursing home to be kept comfortable.

Oh ladyA I just don't know what to say . Wishing you strength for the coming days ahead. Pleased he be back at the home . Lots of hugs and love to you both xxxxxxx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm so very sorry, Lady A. It's horrible to have to see your husband suffer like this. It really is a rotten illness isn't it.
Thinking of you and William.x