Forward Ho!

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
So sorry to hear this, Lady A . Hope they can get William back to the nursing home asap. Will be thinking of you both, hoping William is as comfortable as possible.

Take care of yourself :)

Lindy xx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
LadyA thinking of you and William and praying for a swift and peaceful resolution to William's suffering. x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Lady A, I haven't forgotten you, I sit here on the far side and remember.....I sit here and I thank the Lord that I was spared so much....I am so grateful that it was just my Mum and not my spouse....and I am comforted by the memory of the support you gave me, when we were going through the final stage.

So my hand is holding yours, my arms are around you both too. My thoughts are with you, as they are with all who have reached this stage in the journey of Dementia..... look after yourself first...you cannot support William if you are worn out. Enjoy any brief breaks which come your way, and know that you have done your best...
Wishing you both peace and comfort in the coming days/weeks/ months.

Love Maureen.x.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
My thoughts are with you and William, LadyA - nothing I can add except to say I share your sadness and pain at this traumatic time. WIFE

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I actually feel very "switched off" about it all. I suppose that in order to make the decisions, you have to be?

There are tentative plans (in the absence today of the over-seeing Dr.) to transfer William back to the nursing home tomorrow afternoon. With notes to the nursing home about comfort feeding, not sending him back to the hospital the next time, and putting hospice home care in place if/when needed down the line for administering pain relief if that's needed. They said they very much doubt he will be very mobile from now on, but that he may be trying to get up and walk, and that's a worry because he won't have the strength. So they will communicate with the nursing home about the need for a proper chair (that he can't get out of). They also said that they would be pretty sure he will get another bout of the aspiration pneumonia - we do produce saliva all the time, and normally swallow that, but William can't swallow - and they would think the next bout will be his last.

I'm finding it all a bit ironic, because William actually looks better (if you don't count the very vacant look in his eyes) than he has in ages - because of being properly hydrated. I'm so glad his favourite grandson came a couple of weeks ago, and that William recognised him - and that William got to enjoy his favourite chocolate peppermint patties from the US! And how weird to think of how many of them he ate, just a couple of weeks ago!

I treated myself to a luxurious bottle of bath soak with Argan Oil today, so am off for a bath and an early night with a magazine.

I keep thinking I am coming down with a horrible cold - but I've come to the conclusion that it's an allergy to something they use in the hospital, as in the mornings I'm fine!

Ooh yes - today a patient in the corner bed, a very heavy man who is in with congestive heart failure (and I think he has early stage dementia too, but I wouldn't worry his wife by saying so!) fell and cracked his head off the radiator! His bed was by the wall. He was sitting on the side of the bed, went to stand up, and instead just crumpled in a heap! I had to go running for a nurse. There was pandemonium because apparently (according to the other patients in the ward) the day that William was in Resus, waiting to be brought up and there was a delay because they had had an emergency in the AMU and lost a patient, (as I heard one of the nurses tell another) - what had happened was that a patient had either died and fallen out of bed in doing so or had fallen out of bed and died - either way, the poor man had ended up dead on the ward floor, in front of the other poor patients! So when this man fell today, it caused a bit of a stir! :eek: He was moved pretty pronto to the ward directly opposite the nurses station, and the bed nearest the door, where they could keep a better eye on him!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
That happened when my husband was in hospital, I had been chatting to the chap in the bed opposite who was telling me he had had a massive heart attack but he seemed quite chipper, went off to the toilet under his own steam and never came back. Big rush of staff, screens up around the toilets and that was that, he'd dropped dead. Certainly shakes you up.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point