Dementia sufferers on holiday

Chris100

Nov 19, 2021
Does anybody have experience of taking away a moderate sufferer on flights abroad or UK holidays? My wife panics at changes to routine even in our daily life.

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
It's hard to advise because everyone is different - if you look at my holiday threads you can see some of the issues I have with my oh. There is a lot of help at airports - you can pick up a hidden disability lanyard at the support desk in airport which will give you fast track (or sometimes a separate queue) to avoid queuing, at check in, security and passport control. They will also let you on the plane in the first group if this will help and you can sit with the people waiting for special assistance or in quiet dementia friendly rooms though the ones I've looked at are a bit claustrophobic. My oh gets very worried about handing things in at security to be checked so this time I made sure he went with empty pockets, no bag and no belt which helped but was worried about our checked in cases and climbed through gate onto tarmac (to check if cases were on the plane!)attracting 3 very kind security guides to help him.

I have just been on a coach holiday in England - not what I would normally choose but it was very relaxing as you just go along where they take you. On ours we sat at shared tables of 10 for meals which was good for me as carer as conversation with oh is very limited. My husband got the suitcase out after the first night to pack to go home but settled in after a day or so. I find 4 or 5 nights is enough for both of us which makes uk more attractive than abroad. Although I think my husband would be more settled if we stayed at home he also gets bored so I think (hope?) that he benefits from the stimulation of the change. He is always glad to go home and to be honest so am I but it is good to have things to look forward to and I enjoy meeting new people and seeing new places so I feel it is worth it.

I am trying a Dementia adventure holiday later in the year where you share a house in the countryside usually with other dementia couples or groups and have people to take you out and look after you - might be worth checking out.

I hope this is helpful.

Fugs

Feb 16, 2023
At the other end of the scale I stopped overnight visits about a year ago, when it became clear that my wife can't cope with being away from home. Now all trips are completed in a day.

Galloping grannie

Feb 24, 2022
thank you for sharing your holiday experience. Haven’t booked anything this year yet, not quite sure why I’m hesitating so much. Had a lovely holiday last year flying from Lands End to Scilly Isles. This was a coach holiday company, but we chose to sit at a table on our own for meals. Have not heard of a Dementia adventure holiday so will be looking into that as this sounds right up our street.

Chris100

Nov 19, 2021
At the other end of the scale I stopped overnight visits about a year ago, when it became clear that my wife can't cope with being away from home. Now all trips are completed in a day.
Thanks

Chris100

Nov 19, 2021
thank you for sharing your holiday experience. Haven’t booked anything this year yet, not quite sure why I’m hesitating so much. Had a lovely holiday last year flying from Lands End to Scilly Isles. This was a coach holiday company, but we chose to sit at a table on our own for meals. Have not heard of a Dementia adventure holiday so will be looking into that as this sounds right up our street.
Thanks. Be prepared for energetic activities.