Forward Ho!

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Well, if I'm honest, I had misgivings about that house. There were two acres of land with it, which I thought was a bit too much for son in law to take care of, given that he doesn't have time to breathe as it is! But they had such dreams! Hopefully, something will come up before prices rise much further.

And as for the trousers not fitting - I find that since William went into full time care, I've lost weight. Not a huge amount, but I've certainly changed shape, and clothes that were tightish, now fit easily. The dress I wore to the party on Saturday night had been uncomfortably tight even with the aid of a pair of Spanx underneath - on Saturday night, the zip just slipped easily up, with room to spare - without the industrial underwear! :)

Oooo that's a lot of land - nice! Mind it would probably need a lot of looking after?! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Hate industrial garments with a vengeance. They are either too big and useless or too tight and uncomfortable and, as for getting them on and off . You can tell I have no vanity left! Like my comfort these days but must up the exercise and reduce the intake

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oooo that's a lot of land - nice! Mind it would probably need a lot of looking after?! Xx

Believe it, it would! And although son in law does gardening/landscaping as a business, he is under so much pressure workwise, he just wouldn't have time. I often think I would love more land - but more "useable" land, not garden! I would have loved enough to keep a house cow for milk & cheese - but then, that's an awful lot of milk! And I'd love room to grow some barley & wheat. But then you are talking ploughing. And I think I am gone past that kind of work! I have 7/10 of an acre, but it's not tillable, so most of it is garden. There is a huge fenced area for the chickens, lucky madams, and a large by most standards vegetable garden and lots of fruit trees and a large polytunnel. But so much grass to be mowed. And I don't think I'll ever be able to get my flowerbed back, after the last few years of neglect! The lawn has crept in over it. :( Tomorrow though my car is going to the mechanic, so I hope to get some gardening done.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Believe it, it would! And although son in law does gardening/landscaping as a business, he is under so much pressure workwise, he just wouldn't have time. I often think I would love more land - but more "useable" land, not garden! I would have loved enough to keep a house cow for milk & cheese - but then, that's an awful lot of milk! And I'd love room to grow some barley & wheat. But then you are talking ploughing. And I think I am gone past that kind of work! I have 7/10 of an acre, but it's not tillable, so most of it is garden. There is a huge fenced area for the chickens, lucky madams, and a large by most standards vegetable garden and lots of fruit trees and a large polytunnel. But so much grass to be mowed. And I don't think I'll ever be able to get my flowerbed back, after the last few years of neglect! The lawn has crept in over it. :( Tomorrow though my car is going to the mechanic, so I hope to get some gardening done.

Your garden sounds lovely :) ours is small compared to yours but I just about manage it and John helps on good days! We have got a raise bed for Mia who is nearly 5 and she grows salad and tomatoes with John :) she loves doing weeding and watering with him and is quite possessive with her bedding plants :) we entered her in the young gardeners competition this year ! Xxx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'd love to have a garden or an allotment to grow my own vegetables but realistically I know I wouldn't have time to do all the required work so I'll just have to visit other people's great gardens!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'd love to have a garden or an allotment to grow my own vegetables but realistically I know I wouldn't have time to do all the required work so I'll just have to visit other people's great gardens!

Mine was totally neglected for the last few years Beate- I simply couldn't spend any time out there while William was so bad. Last Summer, my son in law dug it over and we stuck a few things in. It was so nice to have home grown veg again. This year, we are hoping to grow a lot of stuff. Dau and I have the same goal to work toward over the next few years: to end up buying as little as possible in the supermarket. Neither of us have large freezers (they cost money to run!) but I have been teaching her how to bottle fruit and vegetables, and I have a large dehydrator for drying them too. So we are well set up!

It's also lovely when there's a surplus of stuff, to be able to share with other people.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I have finally started my bedroom , all emptied and wood chip stripped :) pulled a muscle though ouch , moving bookshelf out but all good so far. Tomorrow is filling the holes and undercoating all the woodwork! Least favourite as I get bored with them ! Hope you had a good day ? Xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well done indeed! I hate woodwork too. You have to be so careful.
I spent the morning sweeping the driveway. A jolly good workout - watched carefully by the herd of cows next door! Afterwards, I delivered a bookcase to a freecycler, and then tried to start my strimmer, but couldn't! So no strumming done. I'll get son in law to check it for me. I'm also going through and shredding yet another file of 20 year old papers! But it's time I had some lunch, if not dinner! No wonder I get headaches! :-(

Attachments

• 1429637977238.jpg
    1429637977238.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 358

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Think we are having cattle in the fields at the bottom of our garden this year. First time for years. They are preparing the pasture. Love to see them there, they are so nosey, and they eat all the nettles. Only problem is that they do bring the flies. Luckily I have good neighbours too.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Think we are having cattle in the fields at the bottom of our garden this year. First time for years. They are preparing the pasture. Love to see them there, they are so nosey, and they eat all the nettles. Only problem is that they do bring the flies. Luckily I have good neighbours too.

We have sheep in the fields next to us on one side and a great view :) xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Cows on one side and sheep on the other would be perfect.
I have nice neighbours but not next door!

Nooo Saffie! Sheep are the noisiest beggars! Especially in Spring - you wouldn't get a wink of sleep! When they have lambs the mothers are constantly calling the lambs and the lambs constantly calling back - day and night! Loudly! And I think sheep bring more flies than cows, particularly in Summer. We often end up with cattle in the field behind us and sheep beside us. I put up fly traps out in the garden, that helps - because my chicken pen doesn't help with the fly problems either!:D

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I walk my dog by a field of sheep and stand watching the lambs for ages. I love to hear them but appreciate it might become a bit wearing all the time and especially at night.
I do hear the cows lowing when the calves have been taken awayand they do this all night long. It upsets me not because of the noise but because of their distress. So sad.

Nooo Saffie!

You don't know my neighbours!

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I walk my dog by a field of sheep and stand watching the lambs for ages. I love to hear them but appreciate it might become a bit wearing all the time and especially at night.
I do hear the cows lowing when the calves have been taken awayand they do this all night long. It upsets me not because of the noise but because of their distress. So sad.

You don't know my neighbours!

I descendant of your neighbour must have moved next to me ! I won't say more than that Saffie ;) xx I love the sheep and when I watch the lambs I laugh out loud because they can be so funny and cute xx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Lady A's comments on the sheep remind me of staying at MIL's one spring in rural Scotland. Then 12 year old daughter was in bedroom right by field and must have heard sheep and lamps calling to each other all night. She woke up having dreamt of eating roast lamb and her brother eating lamb Balti (curry).