Forward Ho!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Back is ok thanks Heike. Still "dragging " a bit. But not bad.
My godmother has died this morning. Not unexpected - the staff at her nursing home didn't know how she was lasting so long. And it really is a merciful release for her. It made me so thankful, and realise how very fortunate we are, that the medication William was given to calm his extreme agitation and terror worked for him. It didn't work at all for my aunt. She lived in absolute torment right to the end, and nothing the doctors tried seemed to help. She's better now. Funeral is on Thursday morning.

And this morning, for the first time in about 25 years, I've been to the hairdressers! I've had my hair cut to about chin level in front, slightly longer in back, and layered. I have to admit, it looks very glamorous! And makes me look a lot less tired and careworn. Lifts my whole face. I feel very light - my hair was quite heavy. :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Voila, new hair, a bit windblown by the time I got home.

Attachments

• 1429030305410.jpg
    1429030305410.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 374

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
:-D Apart from the hair, I got a first coat of preserver oil on the deck and am nearly finished a humongous load of ironing. And I scored a beautiful Per Una summer dress in a charity shop today for ten euro! Blue linen, fully lined. And a classic white blazer type jacket in Tesco - don't like the button on it, but that's easily fixed. And the dress still had its original tags on too! Brand new.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I thought I had posted a picture at Christmas. Maybe on a different forum.
Thank you for kind words! Going grey, I feel I look a bit "vague " when I've no makeup on! Like the invisible woman - which is a fascinating story, and I wish I could remember who wrote it, so I could read it again. About a middle aged wife who feels (rightly) that her husband is hardly noticing her anymore, as long as housework was done and meals ready
Then she realises that it's more than that - she has become so unobtrusive in middle age, so "average " that no-one really sees her anymore. To test her theory, she hides in the house when her husband is home, and loiters in shops - and finds she is right.

It's not just the makeup or lack thereof though. In the years caring for William, I've realised I stopped caring for me. I started living in :$ jogging pants - I've never jogged in my life and have no intention of starting now! - and jeans, and sweatshirts or big jumpers. What was the point in dressing nicely, no-one was going to see me? But of course that wasn't true - I was seeing me! And I think gradually slopping around like that affects the mind, or the confidence or something. Before, I only dressed like that if I was decorating! Jeans, yes, but always nice jeans.
So I am taking myself in hand. Time to start dressing the way I used to, even if only the cat sees! Forward Ho! - again!

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I think I know the book you mean... Maybe...

The one I'm thinking of is set in 1950's....

I googled invisible woman and that came up with charles Dickens mistress

The other one was a Parker Payne mystery....

Neither are the book I'm thinking of

Fit the title in my mind housewife tale.... Or something like that.....

I was sleepy..... Now I'm wide awake trying to think of the book title :D :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Lovely photo, LadyA. The new hair style really suits you. Remember seeing your previous photo at Chistmas when I mistook you for your daughter and you put me right Know what you mean about starting to take a bit more care of yourself appearances wise. Have suddenly developed a fetish for nail varnish. Have always used it when 'dressed up' but suddenly am trying all these new, to me, colours and don't care that I am now more than partly75, so what

Sorry to hear about your godmother. What an awful way to end your days, so sad. Hope your back is better but take care not to strain it again in the garden.

Attachments

• 1429085184079.jpg
    1429085184079.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 319

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Lovely photo, LadyA. The new hair style really suits you. Remember seeing your previous photo at Chistmas when I mistook you for your daughter and you put me right Know what you mean about starting to take a bit more care of yourself appearances wise. Have suddenly developed a fetish for nail varnish. Have always used it when 'dressed up' but suddenly am trying all these new, to me, colours and don't care that I am now more than partly75, so what

Sorry to hear about your godmother. What an awful way to end your days, so sad. Hope your back is better but take care not to strain it again in the garden.

Ooh - those are lovely! Sadly, I have awful nails. A side effect of one of my meds, I think. And also, from when I was young and kept them quite long, and was typing all day with them - they now, if they do grow any, grow rather crooked! So I keep them short. Love all the colours that you can get now though.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone

Love the colour Verity and a bit of sparkle too :) looks fab :) how are you Verity as haven't seen much posts from you? Xxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Think it's the Omega 3 tablets I take daily as they used to be very weak. Now I have to cut them and file them down, which I hate doing but otherwise they go through the washing up/gardening gloves Am fine thanks, chick , keeping myself busy in the garden when not visiting Fred. Still reading everyone's posts even though I don't always join in. Love to you all. Xx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Think it's the Omega 3 tablets I take daily as they used to be very weak. Now I have to cut them and file them down, which I hate doing but otherwise they go through the washing up/gardening gloves Am fine thanks, chick , keeping myself busy in the garden when not visiting Fred. Still reading everyone's posts even though I don't always join in. Love to you all. Xx

Good to hear from you we also have been busy gardening and my Magnolia are in bloom . So happy as I have been trying to grow them for years but they never took until last year. Today is mend to be overcast and after yesterday's scorcher a bit of a let down :( but hopefully it will be dry so I can weed my last bit of borders :) xxxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
So, here I am back again after my godmother's funeral. Last evening was the "removal" service at the funeral home and out to the church about four or five miles away, another few prayers out there, yappity yappity with all the relatives that I haven't seen for ages and home. And then this morning the funeral and burial. And after the burial, a sort of funeral reception at a local pub, in the function room. A full sit down meal too - very nice. Unfortunately, the meal was delayed so long, I had to leave before dessert (which looked wonderful!) as I had to get to work this afternoon.

Even more unfortunately, one of "The Uncs" - my late father's brothers, and brother of my godmother, who was my father's only sister - was taken ill at the meal and had to be taken off to the doctor and to hospital for x-rays. However, he was fine after a while, and is home, but needs some more tests. He had suddenly choked - just could not swallow at all. Not even water. X-rays however didn't reveal any sort of blockage, and after a bit, he was able to swallow again. So they are thinking some sort of spasm or something, but need to do more tests. It sounds like a similar condition to what my father had - he had to have minor surgery for it.

I spoke to a couple of my cousins about the possibility of getting the extended family together sometime apart from in the funeral home! It seems that in recent years, that's the only place we see each other, which is a shame. The ones that live distantly I can understand - but the ones that live locally, we really should make more of an effort. I would hate to think that once The Uncs generation have passed on, the entire clan will just dissolve. My dau hardly knows any of our family, but she loves being with them on the occasions we are together because (a) they are a very entertaining bunch and (b) she says it's so lovely to be around people that she feels normal height with! Her husband says our family is like being in the Land of the Giants! My brothers and all my male cousins, with the exception of one, are way over six feet tall, and all the women are at least my height, around 5ft 7 and taller - except one who takes after her mother, and is about 5'2"!

Anyway - my cousins agreed that we should try and get together, so we are going to see if we can organise something for this summer, when one of The Uncs turns 80 and the youngest one turns 70. I do hope it pans out - would be nice to meet on a happy occasion!

It felt a bit weird for me to be dressed up in good clothes two days in a row - and make-up on too! But you know what? I was talking to a friend the other day, explaining why I had got my hair cut. I really felt like I had "given up" on caring for myself in recent years. I had no decent clothes - mostly jeans & track suits etc. So, although it felt weird to be in good clothes, (and funeral clothes I suppose would always feel weird!) it also felt very sort of empowering. Like "I" was back again. A much more confident "I" than has been around recently. I like her better than the jogging-pants one! Although I don't think I'd like to have to do all the make-up thing every day!!:D Been there, done that, don't want to go back to that again!