Forward Ho!

LadyA

Sorry to hear of your financial panic. I have moments like that too. Think I mentioned that I have just had a form from our local Council asking for details of any increase in Fred's State and private pensions so that they can reassess our contribution. It never ends
No, it doesn't, does it?!:(

truth24

These are the macropetala clematis, I have, LadyA. The pink one is past it now but just to show the colour. 1429953637831.jpg

LadyA

Beautiful! And bloom so early! I'm on a hunt for bee friendly plants. Wonder do bees like clematis?

LadyA

They do. They also love fuchsias.

Yes - fuchsias are for later though! I'm on the hunt for early flowering plants, for when the bees come out first! We are lucky in that right beside the hive is a tree which I think William said is called a Spindle tree. It's really more of a large shrubby thing. But it blooms very early - such tiny flowers in a greenish-yellow, you'd hardly realise they were flowers! The bees know though! This year, it bloomed end of February/beginning of March, and the bees were already active then - the tree was positively vibrating! I'm sure the bees were glad of it, right next door!

I love the sound of the bees around the place, and I'm fortunate in that the bees here seem particularly placid. Even visiting seasoned bee keepers have remarked on it. When I was out checking the fruit trees the other day, the pear trees, which are in full bloom was alive with bees! All you could hear out there in the sunshine was this constant zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Lovely. :) And I don't have to do anything with them - they aren't my bees! :D Best of both worlds!

Cat27

I love bees too.
I've got a bleeding heart that is just starting to flower. I've seen bees there already.

canary

Hi LadyA. I have a flowering ribes (ornamental current) that is a large-ish shrub that has hanging pink flowers in the spring. It is flowering at the moment and is always covered with bees. Bees also like the native primroses and cowslips that are blooming at the moment.
I dont have a large garden and its been rather neglected recently, but Im very fond of it and I try and make it wildlife friendly.

LadyA

I
Hi LadyA. I have a flowering ribes (ornamental current) that is a large-ish shrub that has hanging pink flowers in the spring. It is flowering at the moment and is always covered with bees. Bees also like the native primroses and cowslips that are blooming at the moment.
I dont have a large garden and its been rather neglected recently, but Im very fond of it and I try and make it wildlife friendly.

Yep, got lots of primroses etc. Flowering currant- now there's one I haven't seen for years! Wonder if it would do ok by the sea?
Remember that nuisance dog that was chasing my chickens? He's still getting in! I had to call the owner again today. And today my mother, who is partly disabled, quite frail, frightened of dogs anyway, and has to use a crutch for support, was out in my front garden when the dog came bursting through the hedge, almost knocking her flying as he shot past on his way to the chicken pen! :-(

William was in very bad form today. Very upset in himself - and for the first time in five or six months, said "Please take me home! " Usually, he's so content, I was very surprised. He didn't eat much lunch for me, and his nose was streaming, not sure if he's going down with a cold or it was because he was upset. I told the nurse, and she said they are keeping an eye on him as he's not himself all day.

Last edited:

Grey Lad

I

Yep, got lots of primroses etc. Flowering currant- now there's one I haven't seen for years! Wonder if it would do ok by the sea?
Remember that nuisance dog that was chasing my chickens? He's still getting in! I had to call the owner again today. And today my mother, who is partly disabled, quite frail, frightened of dogs anyway, and has to use a crutch for support, was out in my front garden when the dog came bursting through the hedge, almost knocking her flying as he shot past on his way to the chicken pen! :-(

William was in very bad form today. Very upset in himself - and for the first time in five or six months, said "Please take me home! " Usually, he's so content, I was very surprised. He didn't eat much lunch for me, and his nose was streaming, not sure if he's going down with a cold or it was because he was upset. I told the nurse, and she said they are keeping an eye on him as he's not himself all day.

Hope you manage to keep that pesky dog at bay and William feels a lot better very soon.

truth24

Grrrrrr. Your poor mum could have been quite badly hurt. Those owners should train them properly before any injury/damage is done. Sorry to hear Wilam was so unsettled. Hope it is just a hiccup but one more worry for you.

My winter flowering heathers are a bee magnet as well as bringing much needed colour into the garden in the early spring and have lots of lavenders in the summer. Also have a small wildflower bed for them too. At the risk of being considered odder than usual, I must confess to talking to the bees too and apologising if I have to disturb them. Am always terribly polite and they seem to appreciate it

Last edited:

jugglingmum

I thought about getting a flowering currant a while ago, but decided that it's flowering season was so short and I didn't like it that much without flowers. I've seen lots of bees about, but not sure what they are on, but have fruit set now on gooseberrys, red, white and blackcurrants. Plum blossom normally attracts them and has just gone over. Everything here (Cheshire /wirral coast area) is very late, plum blossom normally over by end of March and only came out 10 days into April. Most disappointing is the rhubarb is a month behind.

Hope William picks up quickly.

LadyA

Grrrrrr. Your poor mum could have been quite badly hurt. Those owners should train them properly before any injury/damage is done. Sorry to hear Wilam was so unsettled. Hope it is just a hiccup but one more worry for you.

My winter flowering heathers are a bee magnet as well as bringing much needed colour into the garden in the early spring and have lots of lavenders in the summer. Also have a small wildflower bed for them too. At the risk of being considered odder than usual, I must confess to talking to the bees too and apologising if I have to disturb them. Am always terribly polite and they seem to appreciate it
Not just me then!:D
Actually, it's an old - superstition I suppose you'd call it - that you should tell the bees in your hives all the household news or they will be very offended. Like any comings & goings, deaths, marriages, births etc.

LadyA

I thought about getting a flowering currant a while ago, but decided that it's flowering season was so short and I didn't like it that much without flowers. I've seen lots of bees about, but not sure what they are on, but have fruit set now on gooseberrys, red, white and blackcurrants. Plum blossom normally attracts them and has just gone over. Everything here (Cheshire /wirral coast area) is very late, plum blossom normally over by end of March and only came out 10 days into April. Most disappointing is the rhubarb is a month behind.

Hope William picks up quickly.
I used to live about two miles down the same road I'm on now, and had lovely rhubarb down there. And grew fabulous brussels sprouts there too. Since we moved to this house, I've not been able to grow rhubarb, nor has my neighbour! And brussels sprouts don't do well here either! Funny how things change so much in a short distance. My water for example, is very soft - almost too much so. Yet friends who live less than a mile distant have such hard water that they had to get a (very expensive!) softening system installed - they were going through three kettles, three immersion coils etc. every year because of limescale buildup!

canary

I

I live on the south coast. OK, not right on the coast-line, but we get gulls overhead and you can taste the salt in the air. Im very fond of my flowering currant. I know it looks a bit boring when not in flower, but it looks so spectacular when it is that I forgive it anything.

Hope william is better soon

2jays

The flowering currants in my garden is home to the ladybirds - I've got loads of them all snugged up under the leaves. The babies are sooo tiny and cute :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LadyA

The washing machine repair man has been. He could find nothing wrong! Machine working perfectly! He said it's possible something was temporarily caught in the outlet, and freed itself when I manually drained the machine. Weird or what? No awful noises, machine draining perfectly.

LadyA

Such good news. Hope you didn't have to pay call out fee.

Nope - that was covered under the warranty. :) Second load in. So far so good. He said that the unbalanced noises the drum was making going around may be because I am UNDER loading the machine. He said not having enough clothes in it is almost as bad as overloading it!

LadyA

Taking mum to the Theatre tonight, for a local Musical Society's production of Carousel. Very excited! Haven't been to the theatre since I was a child!

chick1962

Taking mum to the Theatre tonight, for a local Musical Society's production of Carousel. Very excited! Haven't been to the theatre since I was a child!

Morning LadyA , hope you and mum enjoyed the theatre. It makes you feel special I think ! Last time I went was to watch Riverdance wow what a show! Bought Lord of the dance after as I got hooked :) x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point