Forward Ho!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Lovely William. There seems to be a thing of aggressiveness about sudden wakening as Fred is like that too but fine when he has come to. Lucky carer.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I'm experiencing very rapid mood changes with Bernard lately, one minute I'm wonderful and the next I'm the worst thing and can't touch him or go near to help. He's not really aggressive just very assertive. I guess the carers who deal with this all the time get savvy about what's likely to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm experiencing very rapid mood changes with Bernard lately, one minute I'm wonderful and the next I'm the worst thing and can't touch him or go near to help. He's not really aggressive just very assertive. I guess the carers who deal with this all the time get savvy about what's likely to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Indeed. Even when William was at home - and he's ten months in the nursing home now - I learned that to change his pad, it was sometimes best to approach him from the front, talking nicely and calmly to him - but change the pad from behind, so he couldn't get me!:D

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
I imagine William was a very gentle and courteous man LadyA, and Fred too Verity. Sad that the dementia can change this, even momentarily.
Sorry you're experiencing Bernard's mood swings Jinx. Must be difficult to deal with such inconsistencies.
Absolutely mad here today, friend who's doing work on the kitchen was here and the electrician and plumber. Inevitable hitches, like the cupboard not being big enough for the eye level oven my friend gave me, space half an inch too short! New worktops had to be taken off and adjusted. Then in the middle of it all the sw came. I had remembered first thing that she was coming to sign the Care and Support plan, then completely forgot. She brought a list of ch's that offer respite, but unfortunately it's only the Age Concern one that will allow you to prebook! So you have choice (good) but can't book ahead (hopeless). I am grateful that we are being offered anything though
Hiya Heikechick, yes I think it does come down to acceptance. of our lives as they are now rather than hankering after how we want things to be
Suddenly very very tired. I'll say goodnight everyone. Wishing you calm nights.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Excited and also for some reason, a bit nervous! The tiler is coming to put the tiles up in the kitchen this morning! He just phoned last night and asked if today would suit. Oooh!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
So excited - the tiles are just beautiful! Guy is really interesting too. A refugee, who fled a certain middle eastern country at the age of 15, when he became a christian. Made his way across Europe to here. "That's no place and no way to live." he said when I asked if he misses his homeland.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Photo! Doesn't do it justice!

Attachments

• 1437241887149.jpg
    1437241887149.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 407

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
They're a much stronger green than they look in the pic. The colour is "Kiwi", and they're by Johnson Tile Co.

Verity, I sanded the cabinets down and put a couple of coats of varnish on them with a washing-up sponge. The sort that have a scourer on with a big sponge to hold? Was messy to do - you definitely need disposable gloves! - but gave such nice even coverage, it almost looks like it was sprayed on. I took the handles off, but didn't take the doors off.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Forgot to show you this bit! The tiler saw this tile that I was using as a trivet. It's a souvenir of where we lived in New Mexico, showing the traditional pottery of the local Tribes. At the last minute, he decided to make a feature of it on the wall! And was sorry he hadn't thought of it earlier when he realised I had a similar type tile hanging on the wall over the back door! He said if he had thought of it, he could have used that one on the other side of the window. Still this looks great by itself.

Attachments

• 1437256024724.jpg
    1437256024724.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 468

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Looks great LadyA, especially love the New Mexican tile, makes it so individual and personal. The tiler did a brilliant job, and nice that he was interested enough to suggest this.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
This looks really good and I am amazed at your skill in sanding and varnishing your cabinets. Well done you and as Es says, what a good tiler.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
What's more - he noticed that my washing machine was further out than it should be, and that it wobbled! So he pulled it out, tightened up the feet and manhandled it back in under the countertop again! Very difficult to get it back in, as the space is so tight, and the feet stick to the vinyl floor!