Forward Ho!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Lovely tea, LadyA. Picked my first (1) runner bean yesterday. Hopefully there will be more. Have had first toms from greenhouse and also courgettes and new pots, so beginning to progress. Eggs aren't home produced (!) but are free range from a local farm. Hope your arthritis is less painful. Good news for you, Es. I'm sure these additions will very helpful. These OTs can be worth their weight in gold sometimes. Sounds as though your kitchen is coming together too. Have a good day both. Katie is back to fur pulling. Guess the long term steroid is wearing off. Another trip to vet! Looks like the vaccine this time unless she decides on steroid use in the summer months when she's out and about and just diet in the winter when she becomes an indoor cat. Got to pay for my week's holiday next month. Guess I'll be raiding my rainy day account

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Lovely tea, LadyA. Picked my first (1) runner bean yesterday. Hopefully there will be more. Have had first toms from greenhouse and also courgettes and new pots, so beginning to progress. Eggs aren't home produced (!) but are free range from a local farm. Hope your arthritis is less painful. Good news for you, Es. I'm sure these additions will very helpful. These OTs can be worth their weight in gold sometimes. Sounds as though your kitchen is coming together too. Have a good day both. Katie is back to fur pulling. Guess the long term steroid is wearing off. Another trip to vet! Looks like the vaccine this time unless she decides on steroid use in the summer months when she's out and about and just diet in the winter when she becomes an indoor cat. Got to pay for my week's holiday next month. Guess I'll be raiding my rainy day account

Poor Katie! Does vet think it's an allergy or what? Lizzy does seem to get off clumps - and has er, "gotten up" a couple of huge furballs this summer already. Better out than in, as they say! At least she does get them up - I have heard of cats having to be operated on to remove them, when they don't get them up, and they end up with a blockage! In Winter when Lizzy is indoors more, I do groom her more.

I've had a(nother) busy day! Work this morning, then a bit with mum, then out to dau's (they're still away) because we have our community group meeting in their house this evening, and I wanted to air the house and tidy a bit before. Glad I went this afternoon - the place STANK! Compost container sitting on the draining board, half full of rotting scraps! And I couldn't get out the back door to their compost bin, as I only had a key to the front door, so I took the container home with me and put it in my compost bin, scrubbed the container out and will bring it back tonight. I also washed up the dishes that were in the sink, cleared up the dishes dau had already washed and left in the drainer (they believe in air drying everything, so there's always a pile of dishes "drying" on the drainer!) cleaned off her countertop and cleaned it down. Seriously - I know she works. I know she hurt her ankle. But the place was manky! She was busy making elderflower cordial and stuff - and then getting ready for the holiday. Dead and rotting flowers left in vases. All clean and tidy now and her sink scrubbed out. She'll either not notice or have a fit! :rolleyes: :D But what was I going to do while I had the windows open airing the place out? Sit on my behind twiddling my thumbs??!
Then when I got home, I had to make jam from the strawberries I picked last night. And now I have to go back to dau's for the meeting. Could be worse - I could be bored!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Ha!!! You bored??? Can't see that happening. Your dau probably rushed off in a hurry without realising how quickly things go off in this weather.
Katie had the allergy tests done about 6 weeks ago. She has 17 allergies (!!) the most prominent being grass, weeds, pollen, elder, etc. That is anything basically outdoors. She is also allergic to chicken, turkey and duck and most of all to kapok (do they still use that?) She had a long term steroid injection about a month ago and has a vetinerary hypoallergenic diet food. The idea is that she has a special vaccine made up to have regular injections to improve her immune system but am wondering if she can get by on monthly steroid injections during the summer with the diet as she is an indoor cat in the winter and might be better. Will see what vet says next week. She seems to have been fine while the steroid lasted but it's obviously wearing off now.
Hope you enjoyed your meeting.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Um.. What's wrong with air-drying dishes? I do it all the time! :confused:

Not a thing Beate. It's just that dau never gets around to putting any away! So when you come to wash up the next lot, there's nowhere to put them, because the previous lot are still "drying"! For myself, it just drives me nuts because my sink & draining board happens to be the first thing in your line of sight when you open my kitchen door! So I have to have that area clean, clear & tidy! I just hate to have the first thing I see to be a pile of dishes! I like it all tidied away and the draining board wiped down. I'm not saying I always achieve that - just that that's the way I like it! :D
Dau says it's 39.7C where they are! :eek:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Think mum has had a lucky escape!
I decided to give her place a thorough vacuuming. My niece occasionally runs around with mum's 'stick' vacuum cleaner, but I wanted to get behind beds, do skirting boards, around edges etc. In the spare room, which is rarely used, I had to pull out a locker and unplug an ancient clock/radio to plug in the vacuum cleaner. As I did, I noticed the clock/radio was stained at one side of the top. Closer examination showed it wasn't a stain, but a scorch mark, and the clock was pretty warm to the touch just in one spot, under the stain. I removed it and explained to mum. Could have been disastrous though - had it started a fire, she wouldn't have noticed straight off, as she never uses that room and the door is kept closed.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
That's scary LadyA, what a good job you noticed it. Doesn't bear thinking about. You are a veritable whirlwind, decorating, looking after a huge garden, sorting out your dau's kitchen and saving your mum from disaster. Hope you are getting a bit of a chance to sit out on the decking these lovely warm light evenings, maybe with a candle and a glass of wine for company. I do love the garden in that dimpsy light, especially when it's still and the bats are flying.
Sorry you are having so much trouble with poor Katie Verity, it all sounds very expensive too. Where are you going on holiday?
I have finished painting the doors! Hoorah. Still have to varnish them and I'm decorating them with daisy stencils.
Decided to take the garden in hand this evening so went out with shears and chopped away. It's looking a bit tidier now. Cut the comfrey right down because it was huge and took out a couple of plants which had got too large and unruly. It all looks lovely in May and June then goes mad this time of year. Still lots and lots to do out there. Best wishes to all
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Was just lucky I had to unplug the clock - you could go in and out fifty times without noticing the clock!

Today I am to go visit Mount Congreve gardens with friends. They are only a few km from here. http://www.mountcongreve.com/gardens I've never been, even though they are so near.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Enjoy, LadyA. Gold star for you too in spotting the danger for your mother. That could have been so bad. Your garden sounds beautiful, es. Mine still looks OK in the early mornings and evenings but pretty overblown in the sunshine. What a lovely idea to stencil daisies on your cupboards. Photos in due course please. A widowed friend and I have booked a river cruise. It's not until November as we wanted single cabins without having to pay a supplement and it was the only one available for this year. It's on the River Douro in Portugal and hopefully the weather should be warmish but obviously not summer heat. We got in early for next year's bookIngs and have managed to get 2 cabins on a Danube cruise next July which is the one we really wanted to do this year, so have to find the funds now! I'm sure it will feel very strange to go away without Fred as we always went on ocean cruises but thought that a river cruise would be different enough to make it bearable, if you see what I mean.

Hope you have a productive day

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
I do know what you mean Verity. Nick and I always meant to do one of those river cruises but when the dog got frail we couldn't leave him. We thought his death was imminent for four years! Not that he was really poorly, he still enjoyed life, but we thought each year would be his last. I know I will feel like you if/when I do go away by myself. Having said that my dau has booked tickets for us to see Bob Dylan in Cardiff on the 29th October, and she's booked accomodation for us. I just have to get my train ticket. So exciting, but I will have to arrange respite care for Nick which feels like a very big step. It will just be one or two nights. We've had an assessment with SS and they are coming to do a financial assessment on Tuesday. I don't know if that means we have been approved for a package of respite care or not. It's all a bit of a mystery to me, but I understand I can book with a CH anyway so I need to start looking. I feel mean and a bit guilty but I think it's good that he has a calm planned introduction to staying away from home in case I get ill and he has to go on an emergency basis.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Enjoy, LadyA. Gold star for you too in spotting the danger for your mother. That could have been so bad. Your garden sounds beautiful, es. Mine still looks OK in the early mornings and evenings but pretty overblown in the sunshine. What a lovely idea to stencil daisies on your cupboards. Photos in due course please. A widowed friend and I have booked a river cruise. It's not until November as we wanted single cabins without having to pay a supplement and it was the only one available for this year. It's on the River Douro in Portugal and hopefully the weather should be warmish but obviously not summer heat. We got in early for next year's bookIngs and have managed to get 2 cabins on a Danube cruise next July which is the one we really wanted to do this year, so have to find the funds now! I'm sure it will feel very strange to go away without Fred as we always went on ocean cruises but thought that a river cruise would be different enough to make it bearable, if you see what I mean.

That cruise sounds lovely Verity.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone

Oh the Danube is beautiful Verity I have been along it in Germany but it goes through various other country's . You have to take photos for me plz xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Think you're very sensible taking that approach, Es. Enjoy Bob Dylan when it comes. The rate the year is going by it seems as though it could be next week!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
What a fantabulous day I've had!:)
It was very chilly - I had a sweatshirt and a jacket and was still pretty cold! - and it was pretty wet toward the end, and we had to hurry through the last part of our walk because we were getting soaked - but we were there for hours. You could literally walk all day and still not see it all. I have to say, their little map that they give you of the gardens etc. is useless! And there are little signposts - equally useless! We were looking for the "Summerhouse" - we followed both map and signposts - and never found it! But we found lots of other lovely areas! I had to think though. Imagine when places like this were just someone's home. Imagine just saying "I'm going for a walk around the garden." - and not getting back for five or six hours!!:D

This is not the best time of year to visit. The gardens are particularly famous for their Camelias, Azaleas & Rhododendrons - none of which of course were in bloom - except an occasional late flowering azalea. But there drifts & banks of Astilbe, which was lovely. And I treated myself to a Buddleia Bush. I've wanted one for ages. I love the sort of honey scent of them.

On the way home I stopped to the nursing home for an hour, and had tea with William. He's very frustrated at being strapped into a chair between walks. He just wants to keep getting up and walking! Don't know what the solution is. Poor love, he is so unhappy about it, and doesn't understand what it's all about. And when I got home, I got out the hoe & garden claw (on a long handle) and gave the veg garden a quick going over. Day out or no- have to try and keep on top of things!

It's a cold, wet, miserable night. Think I'm going to take a bath and watch a dvd.:)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
So pleased you have had a lovely day. Poor William, he must get so frustrated. I don't have any suggestions either. It's very hard when he doesn't understand it's for his safekeeping. Hope you enjoyed your bath. All dry here for moment but rain tomorrow I think.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
What a fantabulous day I've had!:)
It was very chilly - I had a sweatshirt and a jacket and was still pretty cold! - and it was pretty wet toward the end, and we had to hurry through the last part of our walk because we were getting soaked - but we were there for hours. You could literally walk all day and still not see it all. I have to say, their little map that they give you of the gardens etc. is useless! And there are little signposts - equally useless! We were looking for the "Summerhouse" - we followed both map and signposts - and never found it! But we found lots of other lovely areas! I had to think though. Imagine when places like this were just someone's home. Imagine just saying "I'm going for a walk around the garden." - and not getting back for five or six hours!!:D

This is not the best time of year to visit. The gardens are particularly famous for their Camelias, Azaleas & Rhododendrons - none of which of course were in bloom - except an occasional late flowering azalea. But there drifts & banks of Astilbe, which was lovely. And I treated myself to a Buddleia Bush. I've wanted one for ages. I love the sort of honey scent of them.

On the way home I stopped to the nursing home for an hour, and had tea with William. He's very frustrated at being strapped into a chair between walks. He just wants to keep getting up and walking! Don't know what the solution is. Poor love, he is so unhappy about it, and doesn't understand what it's all about. And when I got home, I got out the hoe & garden claw (on a long handle) and gave the veg garden a quick going over. Day out or no- have to try and keep on top of things!

It's a cold, wet, miserable night. Think I'm going to take a bath and watch a dvd.:)

What a lovely day ladya wish we had something similar here :) sorry about poor William wanting to get up and walking and not understanding . Have no solution either but sending hugs to both of you instead xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well, much better visit yesterday. I caught William just finishing tea in the dining room. So, the care assistant and I walked him back - to the day room, the care assistant was aiming for. Not so, William decided! He veered sharply, and headed to the corridor where his room is!:) So I explained about he frustrated he is getting when I visit while he is in the day room, that I know he wants to go, as we always used to, to his room, where he can relax and watch tv with me, and he can actually hear me! So that's what we did! William has to be strapped into a chair though, as he will fall if he tries to stand without assistance. So he sat, strapped in an armchair in his room, and I sat with him, and we watched tv for an hour or so. And William was happy as a clam, and never even tried to get up!

On the down side, he is starting with a very chesty cough again. This doesn't bode well. He doesn't have the strength to fight any infections off at this stage, really. Not after the last lot. Hoping it won't come to anything. He doesn't seem ill at all. Just coughing quite a bit yesterday evening, and he had other visitors today, and one of them phoned me this afternoon and told me he was coughing quite a bit today too, but the nurse was aware of it.