Forward Ho!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Sorry to hear about William's cough, hope it doesn't develop. I had to take Bernard to the doctor again today as he has started a very productive cough again and sure enough it's another chest infection. It's been one a month since the beginning of the year. At last they're going to do a sputum test this time to see what ABs he ought to have, provided I can get him to produce something and lodge it in the little tube. Yuck!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sorry to hear about William's cough, hope it doesn't develop. I had to take Bernard to the doctor again today as he has started a very productive cough again and sure enough it's another chest infection. It's been one a month since the beginning of the year. At last they're going to do a sputum test this time to see what ABs he ought to have, provided I can get him to produce something and lodge it in the little tube. Yuck!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

William had a period like that a few years ago. Think he had something like 9 infections in six months! Then he went for a while without anything major, once he started using the nebuliser regularly. But then he started refusing that too, so his chest started getting more easily congested again.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Nice to have had such a peaceful visit with William LadyA. I hope the cough passes off soon, it must be awfully worrying for you
SW phoned today to say funding for the respite care package has been approved. She is coming on Friday and will bring a list of Care Agencies as well as all the paperwork. It sounds like a good system, you have a card with so much money on it and you can use it to buy care as and when you want it. I hate the thought though, and feel sure there are other people more deserving. Good that there is TP or I would be utterly lost in understanding any of it.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Nice to have had such a peaceful visit with William LadyA. I hope the cough passes off soon, it must be awfully worrying for you
SW phoned today to say funding for the respite care package has been approved. She is coming on Friday and will bring a list of Care Agencies as well as all the paperwork. It sounds like a good system, you have a card with so much money on it and you can use it to buy care as and when you want it. I hate the thought though, and feel sure there are other people more deserving. Good that there is TP or I would be utterly lost in understanding any of it.

Hello Es , glad to hear your care package has come through but understand it's also pulling on the heart strings . Lots of love to you and Nick xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
William had a period like that a few years ago. Think he had something like 9 infections in six months! Then he went for a while without anything major, once he started using the nebuliser regularly. But then he started refusing that too, so his chest started getting more easily congested again.

LadyA sorry to hear about Williams cough as it must be a worry . Hopefully it won't develop into a chest infection . Ahhh a cosy visit , just you and William , so lovely xxxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland

Well, Es, from what I read on TP, they are not exactly handing out funding with open-handed largesse in the UK either!! So I would say if you have been approved funding for a respite care package - it's because they recognise that you desperately need it and there's no way around it! Respite can make all the difference.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Misc Squash

My goodness me you have sent me some magic seeds. Don't they grow fast? I am wondering if there will be a pot of gold for me at the end of all this?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside

I'm so glad you're getting stuff sorted Es.

I hope William's cough isn't anything too serious Lady A :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My goodness me you have sent me some magic seeds. Don't they grow fast? I am wondering if there will be a pot of gold for me at the end of all this?

I hope so! I don't think any of mine survived, sadly. :( I think I still have seeds here though, so will try again next year.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs

You my deserving friend should take everything on offer. Sounds a wonderful system and I hope it all works out for you and you get the respite YOU DESERVE.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You couldn't make it up!:rolleyes:
Today was mum's wedding anniversary, so as I do every year, I was taking her out for a celebration coffee & cake. But before I did, I decided to try and get some things done around here - which made me in a hurry! As I was about to leave, I noticed that I had gotten one sleeve of my top very grubby. Ran to the bedroom to change that. Rushed out the door, realised I had forgotten something I had told mum I'd bring. Back into the house, got that, and off I merrily went. Got to mum's house - and realised I didn't have my keys to get in. Which meant that I also didn't have the keys to my own house, as they are on the same ring!!:eek: Aargh! How could I have locked myself out?? Shelved that problem for the moment, and went off for our coffee & cake, to a nice cafe where they serve such humongous slices of cake that we just got one piece divided in two -and it was still almost too much for us! Like, one of their slices of cake is almost quarter of the cake!! And their cakes are so high! Lovely though - coffee/walnut. While in the cafe, discovered (when my sister texted) that I had also taken my glasses off when I changed my top, and walked out without any glasses! I have several pairs of reading glasses - and had none with me! Ended up with mum & I passing her bi-focals back & forth, and mum ended up helpless with laughing at me!

Anyway, after our coffee, we zipped round to daughter's house to get the spare keys of my house, then back around to my house - to find that :eek::eek: my own keys were there - hanging in the front door!! I had left them there when I went back in to the house to get the stuff for mum!

Too much rushing, I suppose, and not paying attention. But I do sometimes wonder about myself!:confused:

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Have to laugh, although you wouldn't have got away with that here. You would probably have come home to find your house empty or squatters moved in. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration really but you never know who's around here. Glad you managed to enjoy your day with amazing cake too but would love to have seen you passing the bifocals between you

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I will get caught out one of these days, Verity! Too careless. Another day I went off down to the neighbour's and stayed there for over an hour, and had left my front door wide open!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Thank you for all your kind comments everyone. I suppose it's just because Nick is always so easygoing and there are people on TP who have to deal with such difficult behaviours I really have to count my self as very fortunate. Having to always be thinking/ anticipating and physically helping another person who can do very little without at the very least verbal prompting is quite relentless though. Millbrook is the organisation which provides equipment to make life easier (possible) The man who drives the van knows us so well he waves to me in the street when he drives past now!! Today we were provided with something called a 'patient turner'. Like a sort of turntable with a superstructure to hold onto. Hopefully it will make transferring from wheelchair to chair, or the bath much easier. We should have some fun with it anyway.

Kitchen is coming along well - rest of the house is total chaos. We should start to get straight next week. I'm still painting and stencilling - will post pics soon.

Had to laugh at your day LadyA. Glad everything turned out well in the end. Just the sort of thing I would do (have done).

Hope everyone has a peaceful night and a good day tomorrow.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thank you for all your kind comments everyone. I suppose it's just because Nick is always so easygoing and there are people on TP who have to deal with such difficult behaviours I really have to count my self as very fortunate. Having to always be thinking/ anticipating and physically helping another person who can do very little without at the very least verbal prompting is quite relentless though. Millbrook is the organisation which provides equipment to make life easier (possible) The man who drives the van knows us so well he waves to me in the street when he drives past now!! Today we were provided with something called a 'patient turner'. Like a sort of turntable with a superstructure to hold onto. Hopefully it will make transferring from wheelchair to chair, or the bath much easier. We should have some fun with it anyway.

Kitchen is coming along well - rest of the house is total chaos. We should start to get straight next week. I'm still painting and stencilling - will post pics soon.

Had to laugh at your day LadyA. Glad everything turned out well in the end. Just the sort of thing I would do (have done).

Hope everyone has a peaceful night and a good day tomorrow.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Morning Es, stencilling sounds wonderful :) can't wait to see your photos . Pleased to hear everything is coming along nicely . It must be relentless and physical demanding having to assist and prompt . I think we all have our different difficulties and challenges . Was only talking to a friend the other day and we were saying how we are getting used to dealing with situations when they occur and then kind of get used to it and it becomes the new normal . Hope that makes sense?! Thinking of you both often , much love to you and Nick xxxx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I will get caught out one of these days, Verity! Too careless. Another day I went off down to the neighbour's and stayed there for over an hour, and had left my front door wide open!

Hello LadyA , I have the same things with my purse . Always misplacing it , thinking I lost it and then finding it again ;) your day with mum sounded lovely and can't stop thinking about that huge cake :) xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Can take nothing for granted with dementia, can you?!
William is so weak these days. It takes two people to support him walking. Yet he has to walk. Even the regular visitors to the home know him by now, and know that he has to walk! But he is so weak, and so feeble, and so terribly thin.

But you can't relax your guard, can you? Today we went down to his room, he lay down and was very relaxed - went off to sleep, and slept for an hour or so. Like a lamb. Then I rang for a care assistant, as I was about to leave. An assistant came, and said that as William was sleeping, apparently soundly, he would put the side rail up and leave him sleep another 20 minutes until teatime. But - the care assistant went to move a quilt that was under William's feet (it was blocking the side rail being put in place). Mr. William was not as deeply asleep as we thought. He woke up - and aimed a very strong kick at the care assistant's head! And he was wearing his heavy leather shoes at the time! Fortunately, the carer was out of reach and the kick didn't connect - which made me wonder if they know to keep out of his reach when he's waking up?! Once he was awake, he turned back into a happy, relaxed man, all smiles and co-operation! Thanked the care assistant for helping him up from the bed, and thanked him again for walking him down the corridor and settling him into an armchair in the day room! Just that flash of aggression - presumably from fear and self-preservation instincts?