Feeling exhausted and a bit hopeless

DDJK

Nov 14, 2023
Hi,

My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in March, although I knew she was suffering from it just before the pandemic. She lives alone and has poor mobility. I have been working in various cities across the country and it is not possible for me to move back to my home city, although I have managed to get a job closer to home.

I am really shocked at how little can be done to support her. The services just don't seem to exist and there seems to be little to no communication between health services. Often, they will phone or just drop by my mums home and fail to communicate with me what has occurred or what was discussed.

I manage all her expenses and food and any needs she has; I have financial and medical POA. My mum has limited mobility, lives alone and has an ever shrinking circle of friends, so she is often very lonely and there is only so much I can do. It is exhausting me and it is at the point where I can become very upset myself. I have tried finding support groups but mostly there are during the day when I cannot attend, even the online ones.

I dread going home to see her as communicating with her is very difficult and there is always a huge list of things to be taken care of. I am at the stage of deeply resenting my brother for completely checking out of the situation... although typically he is the one my mum raves about when he calls once a year, whilst I am left calling everyday and making trips to see 2 to 3 times a month.

I know I cannot be the only one experience this and I would love to hear how people cope with the emotional upset and lack of support.

trickytimes

Sep 28, 2023
DDJK, alot of this sounds horribly familiar to me. It may feel like you're by yourself, but you are not. Truth never told I'm struggling to find groups near me too but loads of people are quietly or not so quietly (!) experiencing the same issues.
First of all-you need self care, rest and boundaries. Easier said than done but I really recommend reviewing what you are able to offer your mum without burning out and impacting your health-physical, mental, emotional, any further.
Then get in touch with alzheimers/dementia groups near you, ask around, go to faith groups, pubs (local pubs often have people in similar situations teaching for a drink!) the GP practice etc and ask, ask, ask. Someone/group, somewhere will be able to offer something. Grab it, ask for more, make some of it fit your need/situation. And no...there's very little joined up thinking...but if you are able (you'll need your mum's permission) then get your name/contact details down as the first point of contact to try to avoid miscommunication- its amazing how many professionals call a patient with alzheimers and expect their information to be factually correct and remembered after the call!!!
Try to shrug off some of your mum's comments, when you can. Of course she'll sing the praises of your brother, whilst you do everything. Even without dementia this often happens.
I wonder why your brother has checked out of the situation? Does he feel he does not have the capacity or skills? Does he see it as "women's work"? Is he embarassed about some of the issues that arise? Does he feel she should be in a care home/looked after by professionals? Or is it that he and your mum have a difficult relationship? There are so many reasons, but it may be useful to try to find out and possibly work around ie could he do her admin remotely?

Bottom line...you don't have to do everything. You may feel you should, or that you'd like to be able to "do it all", but you have to face your own limitations, just as you're seeing your mum's. You're human. That's OK!

Right...I'm off to clean poo out of the shower again!!!

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @DDJK and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. Has your mum had a needs assessment from her local social services, if not I would suggest that you contact them and request an urgent referral to discuss carers visits to help your mum. Please explain to them how dementia is affecting your mum and that also due to the nature of your job that you cannot constantly be on hand to look after her.
As your mum's dementia progresses it might be necessary for her to move into residential care, there she would be safe and well cared for.

DDJK

Nov 14, 2023
Hi @trickytimes and @SeaSwallow,

Firstly thanks for writing replies. I wasn't sure what I was hoping for, other than typing my frustration into the void. I found that quite therapeutic and more so since people actually took the time to reply, it means a lot for thanks. Also I am sorry you guys are also going through this.

@SeaSwallow, Yes, I have been dealing with the local authorise, but sadly I think they are far too stretch, so despite some very difficult circumstances, we were told that we do not meet the criteria. I have just today gone back to them to try to spell out the major difficulties in more detail, with the hope of having my mum re-evaluated. To be clear, I would like her taken into the very sheltered housing or care, as much as for her benefit than anything else. I cannot be good for her to be alone for most of the week, without anyone to look after her.

@trickytimes, thanks for all the suggestions and support. I will try to think how I could potentially engage my brother in managing some aspects. Wouldn't it be great if I could find a support group in the pub!!!! I will follow up on your suggestion of the local service of where I live and see if I can join something local. It is probably worth taking some time out of my work to attend if I can even if it's only occasionally.

Anyway thanks!

PolarB

Jul 22, 2023
I look after my elder sister who has Alzheimer's and my brother has checked out too. It has now been 20 months since he refused to help me out by screaming at me down the phone. He has totally abandoned both of us without even sending us Birthday cards. I'm not interested in his reasons why as I have enough to deal with, and to be honest there is no excuse for his behaviour. As devastated as I am I also now know that it would be an added burden to have to deal with whatever it is he can't cope with. There are friends and even complete strangers out there who know what you are going through and give support.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@DDJK It is amazing how just putting our thoughts down on paper can help, that is what is so great about this forum, we can say what is in our thoughts or hearts.

It is good that you have gone back to the local authority, if you are speaking to them again please emphasise that your mum is a 'vulnerable adult at risk of harm' and that you believe that she needs to be in a care home. Unfortunately sheltered accommodation does not always work for people with dementia.

I would also suggest that you contact the Admiral Nurse service for advice, they are there to help the carers of people with dementia. I have attached a link below.

Keep posting either for advice or to let off steam or rant. It's what we are here for.

Hilary Cooper

Nov 16, 2023
Hi,

My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in March, although I knew she was suffering from it just before the pandemic. She lives alone and has poor mobility. I have been working in various cities across the country and it is not possible for me to move back to my home city, although I have managed to get a job closer to home.

I am really shocked at how little can be done to support her. The services just don't seem to exist and there seems to be little to no communication between health services. Often, they will phone or just drop by my mums home and fail to communicate with me what has occurred or what was discussed.

I manage all her expenses and food and any needs she has; I have financial and medical POA. My mum has limited mobility, lives alone and has an ever shrinking circle of friends, so she is often very lonely and there is only so much I can do. It is exhausting me and it is at the point where I can become very upset myself. I have tried finding support groups but mostly there are during the day when I cannot attend, even the online ones.

I dread going home to see her as communicating with her is very difficult and there is always a huge list of things to be taken care of. I am at the stage of deeply resenting my brother for completely checking out of the situation... although typically he is the one my mum raves about when he calls once a year, whilst I am left calling everyday and making trips to see 2 to 3 times a month.

I know I cannot be the only one experience this and I would love to hear how people cope with the emotional upset and lack of support.
Hi there, I feel for you, I'm in the same situation with both brother & sister 'too far away' & busy with work or life & when I ask for help it's 'get mum into respite to give you a break' But why should I when both of them have homes she could go to? They pay lip service to me 'You're doing a great job, get her into respite so you & Mark (Husband) can have time together. I had to move in with mum when she had a fall & fractured her shoulder, hospital kept moving her in the middle of the night & she got very agitated & angry. Then the memory problems got much worse. I have tried to get a day care space in for her but they don't reply. We go to a coffee morning most Wednesdays but I go too, which I don't mind but am a little young at 62 for it! I'm struggling to get her stimulation and have to work in my cattery every day so am still trying to get help. Good luck xx

Hilary Cooper

Nov 16, 2023
Hi there, I feel for you, I'm in the same situation with both brother & sister 'too far away' & busy with work or life & when I ask for help it's 'get mum into respite to give you a break' But why should I when both of them have homes she could go to? They pay lip service to me 'You're doing a great job, get her into respite so you & Mark (Husband) can have time together. I had to move in with mum when she had a fall & fractured her shoulder, hospital kept moving her in the middle of the night & she got very agitated & angry. Then the memory problems got much worse. I have tried to get a day care space in for her but they don't reply. We go to a coffee morning most Wednesdays but I go too, which I don't mind but am a little young at 62 for it! I'm struggling to get her stimulation and have to work in my cattery every day so am still trying to get help. Good luck xx