Driving

Platsy

Jan 29, 2024
My husband who has dementia had his driver’s licence taken away. He has been devastated ever since. He sometimes sits in front of the tv without turning it on. He will sit in a chair other times and just close his eyes. He was such a sports fan and has no interest in it at all.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Platsy and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community of members who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sorry to heat about your husband. Losing interest in things seems common in people with dementia. It is difficult to deal with but I hope that by joining us you will find support when you need it.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Platsy no longer being able to drive is usually devastating for a person with dementia and hard for them to adjust to.
It might be an idea to speak to your husband’s doctor as a mild antidepressant might help him.

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
Hi Platsy my husband was the same, it has taken a couple of years for him to calm down about it. He was more angry tho, took it out on me, criticising my driving and blaming me for telling lies about his driving to the dementia team.
He seems to have drifted on now to being more angry about me not having sex with him. Well it makes a change eh 😹
I am not sure if it is worse him being very withdrawn or him being angry. It’s all hard to take tho isn’t it? Sending love ❤️