Down and at a loss

Defeatedbydementia

Feb 19, 2024
Hi, I am new to the forum. This is a huge post, I’m sorry!
I wondered if anyone has any advice re coping with the fall-out from my mum’s influential friend who hates me and my sister and turns mum against us.
Mum was widowed and diagnosed with mixed dementia 3 yrs ago and since then myself and my sister have looked after her wellbeing, health and welfare and we have POA.
Mum insists on staying in her home instead of moving closer to us (90min journey on country roads), and so we have put all possibke safety measures in place to enable that. In that time she has had a stroke and a hip fracture and has limited mobility.
We regularly suggest viewing bungalows that have come up for sale near us and indeed near her, that are safer and more appropriate for her needs, that will mean shebis independent for longer, that she won’t have to go into a home if she has another fall.
She always says No to all suggestions of alternative places to live and we always then leave it at that, content that we have done what we can to try and enhance her safety and quality of life.
Mum is not safe in her home at the moment, she doesn’t use her walking frame as she launches it across the room once she has entered the room and then furniture surfs or shuffles while carrying stuff in each hand, she wanders at night and burns the toast she cooks in the early hours (we have cameras to keep an eye on her).
She has a friend who tells mum we are controlling her, that we are bullying her into moving, that she should spend all her money because we will spend it if not. Mum tells her she shops on her own by walking to the coop (she physically can’t) and that we rarely take her out or visit.
Her friend obvs has dementia and influences mum with her poisonous thoughts about us and mum listens to her and not us. Mum’s love and appreciation of us, her daughters, has been overruled by her friend’s influence and by the harsh thief dementia. It is hearbreaking and we have no advocate.
Mum has lost her love for us, dementia turned the dial to ‘off’ for her daughters love and support and ramped it up high for the influence of one particular friend, who’s own cognitive decline is turning mum further and further away from us. We have lost mum to dementia and we have lost all influence on her in terms of wellbeing, health, safety and love and support.
Mum’s decline after her fracture means that more needs to be put in place to enable her to live in her home, new bathroom, adaptations to the path, driveway and garden outside (huge amount of work). Mum does not want us to do this as she thinks she is fine and safe and healthy and that she walks to the shop and potters in the garden and has a wash etc safely. She doesn’t - she doesn’t go out because she physically can’t go out on her own.
She has carers for 30mins morning and eve and they are fab.
This is a huge post, a brain dump following a huge cathartic cry this morning after her friend visited and said cruel and horrible things about us to her and who thinks that every word of what mum says is true when not one word of it is. She even told her that my husband controls all her finances and she has no idea how much money she has. Which (the husband part) is complete nonsense. We know all of this because she relayed all the info to another person who then let us know.
Ok, so now I feel destroyed and defeated by dementia. Do I persevere and take huge facilitate the safety adaptations outside, a new bathroom, throw the toaster away, or do we throw in the towel and give up and admit defeat ?
Thank you for even just reading this, just posting it makes me feel less alone…

ShivyDevon

Oct 11, 2022
Hi, I am new to the forum. This is a huge post, I’m sorry!
I wondered if anyone has any advice re coping with the fall-out from my mum’s influential friend who hates me and my sister and turns mum against us.
Mum was widowed and diagnosed with mixed dementia 3 yrs ago and since then myself and my sister have looked after her wellbeing, health and welfare and we have POA.
Mum insists on staying in her home instead of moving closer to us (90min journey on country roads), and so we have put all possibke safety measures in place to enable that. In that time she has had a stroke and a hip fracture and has limited mobility.
We regularly suggest viewing bungalows that have come up for sale near us and indeed near her, that are safer and more appropriate for her needs, that will mean shebis independent for longer, that she won’t have to go into a home if she has another fall.
She always says No to all suggestions of alternative places to live and we always then leave it at that, content that we have done what we can to try and enhance her safety and quality of life.
Mum is not safe in her home at the moment, she doesn’t use her walking frame as she launches it across the room once she has entered the room and then furniture surfs or shuffles while carrying stuff in each hand, she wanders at night and burns the toast she cooks in the early hours (we have cameras to keep an eye on her).
She has a friend who tells mum we are controlling her, that we are bullying her into moving, that she should spend all her money because we will spend it if not. Mum tells her she shops on her own by walking to the coop (she physically can’t) and that we rarely take her out or visit.
Her friend obvs has dementia and influences mum with her poisonous thoughts about us and mum listens to her and not us. Mum’s love and appreciation of us, her daughters, has been overruled by her friend’s influence and by the harsh thief dementia. It is hearbreaking and we have no advocate.
Mum has lost her love for us, dementia turned the dial to ‘off’ for her daughters love and support and ramped it up high for the influence of one particular friend, who’s own cognitive decline is turning mum further and further away from us. We have lost mum to dementia and we have lost all influence on her in terms of wellbeing, health, safety and love and support.
Mum’s decline after her fracture means that more needs to be put in place to enable her to live in her home, new bathroom, adaptations to the path, driveway and garden outside (huge amount of work). Mum does not want us to do this as she thinks she is fine and safe and healthy and that she walks to the shop and potters in the garden and has a wash etc safely. She doesn’t - she doesn’t go out because she physically can’t go out on her own.
She has carers for 30mins morning and eve and they are fab.
This is a huge post, a brain dump following a huge cathartic cry this morning after her friend visited and said cruel and horrible things about us to her and who thinks that every word of what mum says is true when not one word of it is. She even told her that my husband controls all her finances and she has no idea how much money she has. Which (the husband part) is complete nonsense. We know all of this because she relayed all the info to another person who then let us know.
Ok, so now I feel destroyed and defeated by dementia. Do I persevere and take huge facilitate the safety adaptations outside, a new bathroom, throw the toaster away, or do we throw in the towel and give up and admit defeat ?
Thank you for even just reading this, just posting it makes me feel less alone…
Hi @Defeatedbydementia welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're having such a tough time of it.

Has your mum been assessed as no longer having capacity? Has there been any OT or adult social services assessments undertaken following her hip fracture? Would you consider asking ASS to do an assessment with you or your sister present?

It wouldn't be easy at all but I think you pursue moving her closer to you so you can keep an eye on her care. Also considering the future, she may need more support through carers or moving her to a care home. The friend sounds unhelpful but they also maybe her constant company when you're not there.

Definitely a challenging situation- good luck figuring it all out!

Defeatedbydementia

Feb 19, 2024
Hi @Defeatedbydementia welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're having such a tough time of it.

Has your mum been assessed as no longer having capacity? Has there been any OT or adult social services assessments undertaken following her hip fracture? Would you consider asking ASS to do an assessment with you or your sister present?

It wouldn't be easy at all but I think you pursue moving her closer to you so you can keep an eye on her care. Also considering the future, she may need more support through carers or moving her to a care home. The friend sounds unhelpful but they also maybe her constant company when you're not there.

Definitely a challenging situation- good luck figuring it all out

Defeatedbydementia

Feb 19, 2024
Her friend is not her constant company she visits once a month max.
No input following 6wks after discharge from hospital aftercare, despite asking for community referral. Have to get GP referral for assessment again as hospital didn’t do it…getting an appointment with GP near impossible, then will wait for 9mths like we did in 2022/3 even though urgent referral, the triage team decided it wasn’t urgent without even seeing her or asking us for info. ASS not interested in her. Refuses to move and can’t make her. Just desperate and lost the fight now tbh.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Defeatedbydementia and welcome to the Forum. I am sorry to hear about your mum and how you believe that her friend has an undue influence on her. My reading of your post suggests that the real issue here is that dementia has taken over your mum's life. Everything that you report is something that happens because of dementia. My view is that it is now too late to try to support your mum to continue living independently. Even a move closer to you will not solve the intractable problems of daily living that she is facing. She refuses to acknowledge this of course, and will certainly continue to do so, even as more and more of her life gets taken away by dementia.

She is vulnerable and at risk. Carer visits may help but they are no substitute for proper supervision and care. If not yet, then soon, you will reach the point where what she wants is no longer of prime importance. Her needs then become paramount. My view is that they may best be met by admission to a care home. It is not what anyone wants for themselves or the people they care for. But from my experience it can be the best way to ensure care and safety.

How to go about this is another matter. You may need to step back from doing any hands on care, even monitoring remotely from a distance. Social services have a duty to vulnerable people in your mum's situation but it may take a crisis before the reality of the situation is acknowledged and taken seriously.

It will not be easy and I am sure that many questions will arise. Come back here for suggestions and support at any time.

Last edited:

Defeatedbydementia

Feb 19, 2024
Thank you xx
Social Services told me today that unless we want to go down the safeguarding route, our only option is a GP referral for an OT assessment as SS have no involvement if mum has >£27k savings, is this correct ? She had. Social Worker while in hospital but he had no respobsibity for her once she was discharged.