Mother at home with advance stage dementia

Shiraz88

Mom has late stage, along with heart disease and swollen legs. She stopped taking her meds for about a week and all she eats are peanut butter crackers, bananas and sometimes popcorn. We were grinding her meds for two days and collective decided to stop, we know this sounds cruel, but we think that she, even though not in her right mind, has the freedom to decide her on fate.
My sisters have been trying to take care of mom over these past years. I’ve been on assignment overseas and just returned. Visited mom and dad at their house, opened the door and came close to losing my cookies.
The smell was horrific. Almost like something dead. Mom does not utilize the toilet at all, she just goes wherever. Her pants were stained with urine on the front and the back was covered in dried poop.
I have a sneaky feeling that she has bed sores, from the smell and this is because she sleeps and sits in a chair and seldom moves from it.
She will not allow anyone to clean up the downstairs, so my sister runs down the basement and cleans up while she is upstairs with my other sister’s keep here occupied for awhile.
She no longer recognizes any of us except my one sister that goes there 3 times a day every day and she is now starting to forget her as well.
My mom is one of the difficult dementia ones. Any of us would rather be lock in a cage with a puma than try to give mom a bath or sponge bath, clipping her nails or brushing her hair etc.

Us siblings think she should be in a hospice, however, dad is the legal caregiver and his mentality is that mom might get better. He’s asked all of us if we thought she would? Breaks our hearts, but we have to be strong, realistic and honest with him and tell him she will not get better daddy. It’s really worn him down, because she doesn’t know who he is anymore also.
At what stage would our mother be in at this time? We know it’s the latter stages.

Is a hospice the answer?
We know she’ll not be with us much longer, we’ve all accepted this.

This is a very horrible disease and hard to watch someone you love dearly, suffer, not knowing anything or anyone.

Any insight will be valuable and dearly appreciated.

Sorry for this book, but I think you need to know everything in order to give insight.

Thank you for your time snd support.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Welcome to the forum @Shiraz88

It sounds as if both your parents are vulnerable and at risk. I don`t know how long they will be able to exist in this way.

Have you made any contact with the Alzzheimer`s association for some help and support?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Hi @Shiraz88 and welcome to our Forum, a community of helpful and knowledgeable members. I am sorry to hear about your Mom. I guess from what you have written that (unlike me) you aren't UK based, which means only that I don't necessarily understand the health and care system in your locale. Dementia recognises no borders, of course, and it sounds as if your mom is definitely in need of a significant amount of care both day and night. In the UK this would be provided within a care or nursing home. If a hospice is your equivalent then the short answer to your question is Yes, that is what she needs.

You have a job to do which is to convince your Dad that, not only will she not get better, letting things continue as they are is not doing what is right for your Mom. Please do come back here if you have any questions, to find solace in sharing with people who understand, or to let off steam.

Jools1402

Hi @Shiraz88 Welcome to this really helpful, friendly forum. This sounds like a horrible situation you are in and there definitely needs to be some professional input with your Mom. Can you tell us if you are based in the UK - from the way you have written it sounds as if you are in USA. This makes a difference to what help would be available

canary

Hello @Shiraz88 and welcome

Finding your mum in that state must have been an awful shock. She is obviously in late stage dementia and possibly at end of life, but it is impossible to tell for certain. I guess, though, that what you really want to know is how much longer she will live, and I'm afraid that individuals are so different that it could be anything. I have known people to live in that state for a couple of years.

I would say that it is definitely time for professional involvement. I'm guessing that you are in US and here in UK the system for residential and end of life care is very different. We do not use hospices for dementia, but instead use dementia nursing homes, so I don't know what the criteria for hospices in US is. If you were in UK I would definitely suggest that you contact Social Services and push for a nursing home. The state your mum is in would also, IMO, trigger a safeguarding case. Your dad may not see a problem, but you cannot leave her like that.

BTW, you won't want to hear this, but the way your dad is oblivious to your mums needs and thinks that she will get better makes me wonder whether he too is developing dementia....