Disabled daughter caring for Dad

DaftDad

Apr 8, 2024
Hello everyone. My username is my Dad's handle for himself, so thought it would be (in)appropriate, just like he is.

Dad has vascular dementia and possibly Alzheimer's too. He was formally diagnosed in 2021 but has had an earlier diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment since 2018 and symptoms of dementia for a fairly long time. Dad has always imagined himself to be much younger than he really is and actually, minus the dementia, he is pretty fit for someone coming up for 85. Which makes it all the more difficult to care for him.

Because he doesn't see himself as old, he never made any plans for his old age, bar signing PoA for me and my brother. He hasn't saved any money for care or made his house safer/more accessible. I acquired a disability 7 years ago and so now we have a situation where his main carer and main person enacting the PoA is me, a wheelchair user. Dad's house isn't wheelchair accessible and I can only get inside with difficulty and preferably with the help of someone else (usually my husband). My husband and I both work FT and we have a primary school aged child too.

Dad's insistence on travelling around on the buses and trains is now becoming dangerous. He repeats the same journey over and over, seemingly forgetting he's already been. He will be out for 7-8hrs without eating and drinking but despite having 3x care visits a day, he refuses to accept anything they hand him to eat and he is often not at home. We can't make him stay still. He has got minorly lost on his travels but got home via taxi when a bus driver rang me, saying Dad didn't know how to get home. He goes out trying to buy newspapers at all hours of the night, sometimes three or four times, triggering the monitored door alarm. The alarm people ring me and so my husband and I are getting little sleep at times.

Social services and his GP have been utterly useless. They believe all the **** he says about how he cooks meals and goes to do XYZ on his travels. Based on the tracker we have on his phone, he just rides around on the public transport but doesn't stop at a destination often or for more than 10-15mins. He seems to forget why he's left the house frequently, often to be seen leaving on the Ring doorbell but then returning within a few minutes, only to set off again a short while later. Repeat this several times before he actually goes somewhere.

Dad refuses all attempts to provide care, is rude and belligerent with the carers and expects me to pick up the phone and solve the crises he finds himself in, without question. Social services don't seem to care that a disabled woman is expected to be wholly responsible for a difficult man with dementia and my brother, although he tries, doesn't understand how hard it is for me, either physically or mentally.

I'll stop now because I'm waffling, but this is me and my family's story.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the forum @DaftDad

As long as you are available, Social Services will rely on you.

If you tell Social Services you can no longer take responaibility for your dad you have too much difficulty managing your own life, they might take some action.

If you say he is a vulnerable adult, at risk and always in crisis you might be listened to.

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
@DaftDad -I could have written much of this myself.

My father is about five years into an alzheimers diagnosis, with a variety of other medical conditions. He is 85. Very independent and not always easy to support.
I have had hip displasia from birth and other less common conditions and walk slowly with the aid of a crutch.
I find generally services are floored when I say I am disabled. Mostly, they are concerned with my dad, which is understandable, but my father is coming home from hospital soon, and I am not sure how this is going to go.
Whilst people generally accept that I may not be able to do some physical kinds of care, that is where support for disabled carers ends, I have found. I wish it were otherwise.
I would say, if you get the chance to write to or email services beforehand, make it clear that your father's position is unsafe and that he has no real insight (like my father, who thinks he can do everything, despite being in bed for five weeks).
Keep writing here, many will understand.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
im disabled by chronic pain, and nerve pain. i care for my husband. you dont get carer and disabled in the sentence according to medics etc. i do all his care and muddle through with help from my son and daughter.

SarahMac1

Apr 7, 2024
Hello, I have nothing useful or helpful to say, just here in solidarity! I also feel the struggle of balancing all the things and all the stresses.

DaftDad

Apr 8, 2024
Welcome to the forum @DaftDad

As long as you are available, Social Services will rely on you.

If you tell Social Services you can no longer take responaibility for your dad you have too much difficulty managing your own life, they might take some action.

If you say he is a vulnerable adult, at risk and always in crisis you might be listened to.
Hi! I've already told Social services that I can't cope and that it's causing my health to deteriorate but they haven't made any effort to do anything. The care agency has asked for a joint meeting of SS, them and me twice now but each time, SS say it's not necessary. I've started putting my phone on do not disturb from about 10pm because the constant calls from the door monitoring etc were making me and my husband I'll from lack of sleep.

Dad is currently obsessed with visiting the place where he went to school but it's the rural middle of nowhere and quite far from his house. That might be the subject of another post but I need to deal with the fallout of it first before posting.

What a life for all involved!