Live in Brother making parents worse

Somersetboy

Apr 28, 2024
Hi. I am new to the Forum and am looking for some advice please. My Mum has advancing Vascular dementia and my Dad is due to be assessed for Alzheimer's. I have both Powers of Attorney for my Mum and my Dad's applications have been submitted. My brother (who is 49) lives at home with my parents but is making them worse. He continually shouts at them and threatens them. He works but pays no rent or for food etc. He does absolutely nothing and although he knows of their diagnoses, he refuses to read anything about it and says they are deliberately doing things to ruin his life. We have never been close and he screams, shouts and physically threatens me if I say anything. I am at my wits end with worry and frustration - I can't get through with logical arguments. He can't afford to move out and can do nothing for himself (through choice not ability). Has anyone else had anything similar? Can anyone make any suggestions? Should I get the GP involved (I have Mum's Power of Attorney)? All the stress and pressure is speeding up my Mum's condition. My brother is also against my Dad being diagnosed as it may stop him driving (my Brother is in massive debt, owns Dad's car and can't afford to sell it). I want to scream at him but know that would do no good. Any advice would be really appreciated

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Somersetboy

That seems like a very distressing situation and I wonder if it may be worth while talking to the experts on the support line as they are very good.

Just click the following link for details

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Both your parents are vulnerable people and this sounds like a safeguarding issue to me

I would contact Social Sevices