Coronavirus

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
It’s all very well saying over 70s to be isolated at home for months, but as usual no thought about the many hundreds of thousands who rely on daily care visits. Are they suggesting people needing care will just be abandoned? That would send the death rate up nicely! Many people don’t have family on hand to step in and become carers full time, what about them? What about over 70s who are fit and well generally and are themselves providing care and support to older relatives not living with them, as a cousin does for my dad? No wonder people are panicking!
As no finer detail has been given of course it does make you panic,I'm sure the people that have carers will still have carers visiting,mum had a district nurse this morning and she said the carers will have to visit but they will probably come with more protective equipment,I will believe it when we've been given more information though.
I've just got back from Sainsburys it's absolute mayhem in there

Last edited:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
It’s all very well saying over 70s to be isolated at home for months, but as usual no thought about the many hundreds of thousands who rely on daily care visits. Are they suggesting people needing care will just be abandoned? That would send the death rate up nicely! Many people don’t have family on hand to step in and become carers full time, what about them? What about over 70s who are fit and well generally and are themselves providing care and support to older relatives not living with them, as a cousin does for my dad? No wonder people are panicking!

The mind boggles! It is such an impractical idea that I can't believe anybody has really thought that one through.

Safeway here has just announced that because of shortages caused by panic buying they will not be doing deliveries anymore. So if I can't get the shops, how am I and all the other oldies supposed to get food? I know our govt. said that we call on the Red Cross but they couldn't cope with all of it.

GPs don't do house calls anymore here so for out of hours visits, we are supposed to use a specific service. If a number of people get sick, you can imagine (or not) how that would work.

I really hope that common sense prevails and that it doesn't happen.

I have decided that if they try and do that here then I will be very disobedient. And I will continue to be disobedient.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
This article in the Washington Post is reasonable https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...U0LomKIqJp37WXNN0GBTN4m_Njpk6-0rN4YPjpsQFCsf8
and shows that trying to close down an area completely cannot work to prevent the spread of viruses. It didn’t even in Hubei Province but it did slow things down while people recovered. Social distancing is effective but it shows that some people have to get the virus. We are on a learning curve with this infection and shutting the elderly up in their homes seems a step too far, and I hope the government think it through properly.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I was appalled at the news about the over 70s. That includes me. I know I’m not caring any more, but I still have to look after myself. Not being able to stand for very long or walk for very far doesn’t help. Plus my diet contains a lot of fruit and other things that don’t keep. I don’t do online shopping either.
Generally I enjoy an amble round the shop and a cup of coffee.
Now what?
Really don’t think the government has thought this through.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Plus going to hairdresser, and places like the bank.
Sorry, afterthoughts!
And nearest family 70 miles away!

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Well if there can be any good to come out of the present situation it may just be that the government finally recognise the worth of unpaid carers looking after family and friends.......but I won't hold my breath.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
As on my other post care company gone into lockdown. Dads care group left him with a meal until I got back from home (I live 18miles away) He has a chest infection and they just went after calling 111. So dad has had no carers since Thursday. I’m phoning them tomorrow to see what is going on as well as the public Health Office.He doesn’t have Covid 19. Sleeping on a recliner is not ideal.

If it comes to the 4month self isolation I would have to transfer dad to a home. I couldn’t do 24/7 for 4months on a recliner!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Neighbours have just come back from Aldi.

Every that was out of stock is being delivered and just dumped in the aisle, all types of tissue, handwash, paracetamol, pasta, flour,....

They have a blanket ruling of a maximum of 2 for any item no matter what eg only 2 bottles of wine.

Looks as if they have prioritised the supply chain in favour of items that were out of stock at the expense of everything else.
Good thing is that there were supplies to deliver.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
As on my other post care company gone into lockdown. Dads care group left him with a meal until I got back from home (I live 18miles away) He has a chest infection and they just went after calling 111. So dad has had no carers since Thursday. I’m phoning them tomorrow to see what is going on as well as the public Health Office.He doesn’t have Covid 19. Sleeping on a recliner is not ideal.

If it comes to the 4month self isolation I would have to transfer dad to a home. I couldn’t do 24/7 for 4months on a recliner!
That's crazy,how they can do that,I would imagine the care companies will end up being forced to give care,I wonder if they have a certain license that the government might revoke for any companies that don't want to play ball, I hope something works out for you,and I hope they get a good dressing down for acting like that,I'm sure they are not allowed to do what they have done

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Th
That's crazy,how they can do that,I would imagine the care companies will end up being forced to give care,I wonder if they have a certain license that the government might revoke for any companies that don't want to play ball, I hope something works out for you,and I hope they get a good dressing down for acting like that,I'm sure they are not allowed to do what they have done
The lady from PH wasn’t happy. They only need to self isolate if they are showing symptoms. I also told her I have my mum who I can only phone to see if she is ok and I also have my own health issues.. Duty of Care.My ****

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Neighbours have just come back from Aldi.

Every that was out of stock is being delivered and just dumped in the aisle, all types of tissue, handwash, paracetamol, pasta, flour,....

They have a blanket ruling of a maximum of 2 for any item no matter what eg only 2 bottles of wine.

Looks as if they have prioritised the supply chain in favour of items that were out of stock at the expense of everything else.
Good thing is that there were supplies to deliver.
That's good Sainsburys were letting people have 5 packs of toilet paer when I asked the other day,which I thought was daft

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Plus going to hairdresser, and places like the bank.
Sorry, afterthoughts!
And nearest family 70 miles away!
Aged mother 125 miles away....
So i cook meals for Mum & deliver them fortnightly. Stock up her fridge & freezer, check post etc.
i can't stop doing that as otherwise she will have no food. Carers do not have time to cook from scratch! Or to do the shopping.
Reality is i will be making the journey every fortnight, we have handwash & hand sanitiser in place for months. Have purchased latex disposable gloves, & am trying to source antiviral face masks. so i'm doing everything i can to prevent transmission!

Aged Mothers response to all this
"i'm almost 89 i've got to die of something!"

pragmatic as always!

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
I hope there is a special place in hell for the mindless selfish morons who have been clearing the shelves.Closely followed by the supermarkets who have allowed them to do it.There are only shortages because of their behaviour.In a well known supermarket witnessed a very elderly gentleman who was extremely distressed because he could not buy his usual tins of soup etc.It is unforgivable

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I hope there is a special place in hell for the mindless selfish morons who have been clearing the shelves.Closely followed by the supermarkets who have allowed them to do it.There are only shortages because of their behaviour.In a well known supermarket witnessed a very elderly gentleman who was extremely distressed because he could not buy his usual tins of soup etc.It is unforgivable
It is sickening,I have seen photos on social media of the hoard that some people have that they are showing off with pride,many people had more stock than you would find in a small convenience store

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
My expectation for the future is care homes will refuse to admit any new residents.
They will have staff self isolating. If the schools close the staff will have to look after their children.
With limited staff resource you stand the risk of being accused of neglect, why would you accept new residents who will reduce the ratio of staff to residents and therefore make neglect accusations more likely.