Coronavirus

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My expectation for the future is care homes will refuse to admit any new residents.
They will have staff self isolating. If the schools close the staff will have to look after their children.
With limited staff resource you stand the risk of being accused of neglect, why would you accept new residents who will reduce the ratio of staff to residents and therefore make neglect accusations more likely.
I think schools are being kept open for essential key workers ie care staff, nhs etc

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
As on my other post care company gone into lockdown. Dads care group left him with a meal until I got back from home (I live 18miles away) He has a chest infection and they just went after calling 111. So dad has had no carers since Thursday. I’m phoning them tomorrow to see what is going on as well as the public Health Office.He doesn’t have Covid 19. Sleeping on a recliner is not ideal.

If it comes to the 4month self isolation I would have to transfer dad to a home. I couldn’t do 24/7 for 4months on a recliner!
Shocking behaviour from the carers - they have a duty of care !

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
That's good Sainsburys were letting people have 5 packs of toilet paper

Things will level out fairly soon, the finely tuned supply chain has taken a hit, it was geared up for Easter Eggs and BBQ food not toilet paper and dry goods..

Hopefully people will see stock in supermarkets and just buy normal amounts retaining their excess contingency stock although some may start using it as their credit card is maxed out.

Practically every time bad news is announced they will decide that their stock of n weeks should be increased to N weeks and hit the panic button

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I think schools are being kept open for essential key workers ie care staff, nhs etc
I think the problem is what is an essential worker.
The bus driver who transports the essential carers?
The lady who rolls out the cage of milk in the supermarket?
The undervalued cleaner? What happens to the virus with no cleaners?
The lady you call when you smell gas? ( use air fresheners and don’t light any cigarettes) ???

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
They won't be able to enforce an over 70s lockdown - who's going to police it?

There are Facebook groups popping up all over the country for people who agree to go shopping and run errands for the elderly and vulnerable, and I've already put my feelers out, but of course they can't replace carers.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Being 69 (just) I've got another 7 months of freedom before I'm "banged up":D so I had better make hay while the sun shines.:cool:

The pub last night was absolutely rammed so I could always practice self-isolating there. Or perhaps I need to start wearing a hoodie and polish up on my street-talk - innit.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Being 69 (just) I've got another 7 months of freedom before I'm "banged up":D so I had better make hay while the sun shines.:cool:

The pub last night was absolutely rammed so I could always practice self-isolating there. Or perhaps I need to start wearing a hoodie and polish up on my street-talk - innit.
???

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hi everyone,

From what I've seen, many of you have questions and concerns about Coronavirus COVID-19 and particularly how you can stay safe and healthy, and also continue to care for people with dementia in the best way.

There’s a lot of information out there. But not all of it is trustworthy. The situation is also changing quite quickly.

I've put this notice together to help everyone on Talking Point:

>COVID-19 and advice for people affected by dementia<

I hope this is helpful. Please continue to post on this thread and do contact our support line if you have questions about dementia.

Thanks.

Serena
Talking Point Team

Serena - There are, not surprisingly, lots of different threads appearing relating to coronavirus. Just a suggestion, but as this topic will be ongoing for some time could thought be given to having a new forum specifically for posts relating to the subject? It would mean that relevant threads would be easy to find/identify rather than spread across the various forums, making it easier for members to find posts from those with similar concerns and also reduce possible duplication of questions. Your message in the 'Alzheimer's Society Notices' forum - directing people to this thread - seems to be getting overlooked as it is close to the bottom of the forum index list so a separate forum would also make messages/announcements from the Society more prominent.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Safeway have announced that for the moment they are going to restrict the hour of 7 - 8 am for people over the age of 70 or disabled to do their shopping. Personally, I think that an hour later in the day would have been better but I suppose they are looking at their financial interests.

Don't forget to send emails to your MPs protesting about the 70+ question.

Scaremongering at its worst, look at how we are all reacting!!!!!!!!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
This is an emotive subject folks, & it's only going to get more so; we need to remember that we all joined this forum for support & information at a time of personal crisis in our lives. Added issues will only complicate lives that already are difficult, meaning supporting each other is more important than ever.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
This is an emotive subject folks, & it's only going to get more so; we need to remember that we all joined this forum for support & information at a time of personal crisis in our lives. Added issues will only complicate lives that already are difficult, meaning supporting each other is more important than ever.

Agree wholeheartedly @DesperateofDevon, supporting each other will help us get through this.
And talking of support, can I add a plea to everyone?
Please, the next time you go to the supermarket, buy a little extra and pop it into the food bank box. It was horrible to watch people wheeling trolleys full to the gunnels of tins and packets past the food bank, ours was looking decidedly empty this morning -hopefully because it had just been emptied.
We put some bits and bobs in, and it brings back memories of how hard up we were as a young married couple. It's such a worry for people who live hand to mouth and don't have the luxury of stocking up, especially at the moment.
Thank you and I'll get off my soap box now.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
BBC News Special
16 Mar 2020 - 4:30pm - 6:00pm
BBC1
SUMMARY
Full coverage of the latest developments including a news conference by the prime minister, chief medical adviser and chief scientist.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Agree wholeheartedly @DesperateofDevon, supporting each other will help us get through this.
And talking of support, can I add a plea to everyone?
Please, the next time you go to the supermarket, buy a little extra and pop it into the food bank box. It was horrible to watch people wheeling trolleys full to the gunnels of tins and packets past the food bank, ours was looking decidedly empty this morning -hopefully because it had just been emptied.
We put some bits and bobs in, and it brings back memories of how hard up we were as a young married couple. It's such a worry for people who live hand to mouth and don't have the luxury of stocking up, especially at the moment.
Thank you and I'll get off my soap box now.
Such a good thought.
especially as many school children are dependent on the food they receive there.
If they close the schools and people are not donating to food banks???

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
@Kay111 I appreciate what you are saying but I live in the Greater Toronto Area and there were 43 deaths from SARS here . People were very agitated and panicky at the time, particularly as SARS was also killing young, healthy people in their prime. The media certainly didn't help with the manner in which they reported the news.

The mortality rate for SARS was 10%. Covid-19 has a mortality rate of 2 to 3% and it behaves more like flu, with the very old, very young and immune compromised bearing the brunt of it. Not that that makes it any better, but my point is that hundreds of thousands die every single year of the flu and no one is upset or worried about that at all. Travel plans do not get changed because of flu season. The media doesn't report it because it happens every year and therefore is not newsworthy.

I do feel the media is whipping up a frenzy, because that is what sells. I find it very frustrating because I feel it creates undue worry, when ordinary precautions of frequent handwashing are our first line of defense.
We have 2 cleaners once a fortnight. They are due this week. I am 85, husband 91. Should I cancel for 4 months and live in a dirty house or what should we expect of them to keep us safe

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I honestly do not understand the mindset of people thinking this is all just scaremongering. Countries and entire continents do not take decisions like they do now out of a whim. They do not tank the economy for fun. This is serious, it's a virus that kills, with no vaccine like the flu, where people unlike with SARS can infect others while symptomless, spreading it around wildly. The flu still kills because the vaccine isn't a 100% effective and not everyone gets the jab. But because a lot of people do it doesn't kill millions. So please stay at home, wash your hands and be safe - this will also keep others safe.

Last edited: