P.O.A.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
I've just dropped off OH for a couple of weeks respite and the care home want a copy of his P.O.A. is this normal? why do they need it?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, I have been asked for copies of POA/deputyship by both mums care home and OHs respite. I think it's in case of any problems, particularly illness

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Yes, I have been asked for copies of POA/deputyship by both mums care home and OHs respite. I think it's in case of any problems, particularly illness
Thanks canary. I was puzzled as to why they would need them. If there is any problem I'd have thought they would just phone me. They already had the form with all his wishes if he was taken ill (can't remember what it was called) which we had to get done by the doctor.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If there is any problem I'd have thought they would just phone me. They already had the form with all his wishes if he was taken ill (can't remember what it was called) which we had to get done by the doctor.
Others may know a more definite answer, but I always felt there was an element of backside covering....

It does seem to be fairly common, though.
I honestly wouldn't worry about it.
Don't take the original - take a certified copy, or they may even be happy with a photocopy

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I think some while ago that next of kin were treated the same as POA, but POA does give you more of a voice, and over my time on here I've noticed it is asked for more and more.

I certainly found that when my mum was in hospital as NOK they weren't listening and I waved POA and mentioned capacity to understand the decision in question and they jumped.

Also if someone else is POA then that overrides NOK so proving you are both ensures everything is covered legally, and sometimes an (adult) child is POA not the spouse so they have to follow due process.

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
All agreed as above. Plus they will want to know who is legally responsible for paying the bill. I have always been asked for copy of POA when the resident has dementia and is not covered by LA

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
When my OH was admitted to hospital for a couple of days his behaviour apparently became ‘very challenging’ to quote the nurse! They had no idea he had dementia, (though it must have been in his notes). I discovered that he’d been demanding that he be allowed to go home now, he was fine and he’d told them he’d get the bus home. I told them under no circumstances should he be allowed to discharge himself, I had to be consulted about anything.

As soon as I mentioned that I had POA and I WOULD use it if needed, everything changed, I had to bring in a certified copy that they’d photocopy for their records and give back and it would help considerably in any dealings they had with him.

I feel pretty sure that, as others have said, in your case they are covering themselves if they have a copy of the POA. It makes everyone’s lives easier as you have authority if any decisions are needed.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
I would also like to add even here we see examples where two equally close next of kin, are in total disagreement about the parents needs.

Knowing who has POA in such circumstances helpful to care provider

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Thanks for your replies. I took the P.O.A. in and they photo copied for their 'records'. Now two weeks of bliss