1. Expert Q&A: Dementia Research, Tuesday 26th March, 3-4pm

At Alzheimer's Society our research program focuses on improving care for people with dementia today and finding a cure for tomorrow.

Hannah from our Research Team will be answering your questions on all our research efforts on Tuesday 26 March between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Recommended thread Compassionate Communication with the Memory Impaired

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Grannie G, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Lady M

Lady M Registered User

Sep 15, 2018
    Female
    Essex

2. Lady M

Lady M Registered User

Sep 15, 2018
    Female
    Essex
    @Grannie G just read your post about communication and the extract shown! I will print this and keep referring to it! I will learn the rules, I hope!!! Thanks

3. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Please don't put yourself under too much pressure @Lady M and please see Compassionate Communication as suggestions or guidelines rather than rules.

We cannot get it right all the time especially when under pressure, sleep deprived and really worried about the people we are caring for.

We can only do our best and if we do our best is good enough.

4. Phelippe

Phelippe New member

Dec 21, 2018
    This is superb and even in the early, pre-diagnosis stage that we are in, absolutely to the point! It’s clear that if (as?) my wife’s condition progresses, the challenge for me will be how to maintain and develop my resourcefulness. I hope I will be able to find my way back to this thread on ‘Compassionate Caring’ so as to refresh my understanding.

Thank you.

Thank you also to Alzheimer’s Society for providing such a responsive website.

5. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hi @Phelippe
    welcome to TP
    to be able to find this thread again you can press the 'Bookmark' button at bottom right of your post
    then, to find any bookmarked posts, go to the extreme top right of the whole page where the blue bar is - press on the round icon and there's a dropdown list, Bookmark is 3rd down on the righg

6. scullet

scullet New member

Jan 10, 2019
    Hi Im new to this . dad just diagnosed two days ago and mum is doing all dont's! its so hard for us to watch our lovely dad who now forgets things but really wants to learn too. Thank you for thread x

7. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    hello @scullet
    a warm welcome to TP
    glad you found this thread - it helped me to begin to see things from my dad's perspective and so I started to respond to him differently - it takes time to adjust to how things are now, rather than how we want them to stay, your mum will find her way

8. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Welcome from me too @scullet.

I'm glad you're finding the thread useful. Please have a look round the forum - I'm sure you'll find a wealth of useful information. If you feel it would be helpful you might want to begin your own thread - if you have a question to ask or concerns to share - or even just to get something off your chest. Just go to the

I Care for a Person With Dementia

area of the forum and click on new thread. Looking forward to seeing you around.

9. lilypat

lilypat Registered User

Mar 1, 2019
    Female
    @Grannie G
    Just found your post and its going to be huge help to me .hopefully I have managed to save it to print off later. Just reading it made me understand how much I am doing wrong
    Thanks again