1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Tell us what you think of Talking Point in our Annual Survey - We rely on your feedback to tell us if we're meeting your needs and how we can improve.

So please tell us what you think about Talking Point. You could win a £20 high street voucher for sharing your feedback.

Click here to complete the survey.

Recommended thread Compassionate Communication with the Memory Impaired

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Grannie G, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Mum1945

Mum1945 Registered User

Oct 17, 2017
    Thank you @Amy in the US. I really will try. I think the fact that the doctor visit went so wrong today has made me feel so guilty. But I hate the idea that if she accepted help, she might improve a little, but because she won't, there's so little we can do.

What a horrendous disease.

2. Amy in the US

Amy in the US Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    @Mum1945 , I'm going to comment over on your other thread, so as not to hijack this one further.

3. MaryH

MaryH Registered User

Jun 16, 2016
    Ottawa, Canada
    okay.. The link on page 1 does not work but have email the compassionate communication to myself. Being trained as an engineer, more on factual but they are in the don'ts..

4. elkmaster

elkmaster New member

Dec 22, 2017
    This is very helpful indeed. Me, the son and my mother's partner have made a lot of these mistakes...we have not meant to!
    I am gonna print this off and hopefully change the way we communicate with my mum. She and her partner are always arguing and he always seems to start a sentence with a question and rambles on...they are both 80s.
    I have tried talking to him gently about it and he says 'yeah yeah', but might not be able to change behaviour/adapt.
    I get frustrated when I hear it but can't say much as it would cause a row and he would say I was bullying him.
    My Mum says hurtful things sometimes and hard not to take it personally but most of the time I don't.
    Will try the above cues/techniques to stear the conversation to another topic.
    I am glad of this forum as want my mum to be in as much peace as possible throughout this dreadful illness.
    Kind regards
    elkmaster

5. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello @elkmaster Welcome to the forum.

I'm pleased you've found something to help . Even though it will be difficult to follow at all times it is still good advice.

I think we sometimes realise how inappropriate attitudes are when we hear them from others rather than ourselves. It is a very steep learning curve and some of us only realise when it is too late.

Please start your own thread if you wish , on the sub forum I care for a person with dementia.

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/

This way you will find it easy to access all your replies and support.

6. JanP

JanP New member

Nov 22, 2017
    Thankyou for sharing

7. PJ

PJ Registered User

Jan 26, 2017
    I imagine most of us do the ‘Dont’s’ please don’t feel bad xx