Casbow's Diary.

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
Only just catching up on your post and really feel for you .Hope you look after yourself while everything is ongoing and hubby is placed and settled .Sending my love and hugs .xx

sajimjo

Jun 18, 2013
Staffordshire
Just wanted to add my heart felt wishes for you at this awful time and hope things will be better for you in the not too distant future. Big hug Sajimjo x

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Thank you to everyone for your kind remarks and for being so thoughtful. Took David to the nursing home yesterday afternoon and he seemed a bit frightened at first. I told him I needed a little rest for the weekend as I was very tired. He seemed to go with that ok. Sorted out his clothes and stuff and put some of his 'toys' on the lovely window sill. It is a bay window with a deep (must be 4ft) deep sill and he can sit in his chair and watch the trees and birds and also a bit of the people walking along a road to get to houses. Everything is brand new as it is a ten bed extension of the original dementia unit but has locked dividing doors. His room door looks down all the way to the exit door so he can see all the comings and goings from there to the kitchen and dining room. The staff where really good with him and when I left I felt hopeful that he will settle. When I spoke to the home this morning they said he was a bit restless after I left but ate his tea and slept well. This morning they where still trying to get him out of bed at eleven. But that is how he has been here for the last few weeks. They said not to worry they would keep popping back til they have success. Then I had my hair done earlier today and the hairdresser was really pleased to hear which home he was in as she has a very good friend who is a nurse who's mum was in there and said it was wonderful. So I am feeling positive. Will keep you posted after a few days. ME. I feel sick to the stomach!!!) It will get better I am sure.xxxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's very positive news Casbow. I'm glad.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I'm sure it will get better too Casbow

You have been walking such a tightrope for I don't know how long so it will take a while , but the home sounds really lovely and David's first night sounds fine.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Hello Casbow

I have been checking back during the day for a post from you. I know I don't post on your thread much but I do read it.

It sounds very positive for David which is great.

I imagine it's much harder for you being at home on your own.

I hope you can keep in your mind that this is probably the best thing for your husband.

But I am sure it's very hard to accept so I am sending you a very big hug.

Be gentle with yourself, you are tired and stressed but you have selflessly put David's needs before yours - well done.

I hope you can take some time to recover your strength and wellbeing so you can continue to be David's carer, albeit in a different way.

Please take care of yourself and, when you are able to, let us know how you and David are xx

Sent from my SM-T310 using Talking Point mobile app

cuppatea

Oct 28, 2016
South Wales
Glad to hear the home sounds a good choice, well done! You must be feeling strange being on your own - hope you are OK, we are all thinking of you xx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
It feels very strange. I fell asleep in front of the tv last night and when i woke up I thought Oh no where is he (thinking he was up to something) and came out to the conservatory to suddenly realise he is not here. xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It feels very strange. I fell asleep in front of the tv last night and when i woke up I thought Oh no where is he (thinking he was up to something) and came out to the conservatory to suddenly realise he is not here. xx

I remember that feeling. It took me so long to sleep through the night when William was no longer at home, getting up every hour or two, and it also took me a long time to speed up the pace I walked at! I had gotten so used to walking so slowly, leading William along. Try and catch up on rest, Casbow. That's the priority for you. And be careful as you go about. I was so stressed and worried about William when he first went into care that I literally tripped over my own feet one day going out the living room door, and fell heavily against the wall on the opposite side of the hall, so much so that for a moment or two, I was convinced I'd broken my arm! But it brought me up short. I was rushing around trying to "get things done", as if there was some hurry about it. Treat the first few weeks as "respite", and just don't think about the rest of it. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Give yourself time to heal Casbow.

You have been through such an ordeal, I doubt you will appreciate such an ordeal until you are able to look back on it. Then you will wonder how you survived.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
I am doing ok. Had a lovely long walk with my lovely little dog. Popped to local shop. Spent the afternoon gardening ,and a friend called in for tea. David it seems is settling quite well, so I am more relaxed knowing that. He had been getting easier for me to manage this last few weeks so maybe I have got the timing right. He is apparently eating and sleeping ok. Accepting personal care and generally not too bad. So I am feeling better.xxxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I am doing ok. Had a lovely long walk with my lovely little dog. Popped to local shop. Spent the afternoon gardening ,and a friend called in for tea. David it seems is settling quite well, so I am more relaxed knowing that. He had been getting easier for me to manage this last few weeks so maybe I have got the timing right. He is apparently eating and sleeping ok. Accepting personal care and generally not too bad. So I am feeling better.xxxxx

That is such good news! I hope you have a good nights sleep now.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
That's good Casbow. Hope you sleep well tonight. Everything will feel odd and things will be up and down but do take care of yourself, you have had such an exhausting and stressful time xx

Sent from my SM-T310 using Talking Point mobile app

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5