Carer's Assessment

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
I get the impression that some are confusing the assessment of the PWD with that of the carer(s)!
As I understand it the PWD is assessed financially with regard to the care that he/she requires or needs. But the carer(s) is assessed only by need for respite provision.
We get 3 hours a week respite with a sitter staying with my M-in-L and also doing a bit of ironing or the like. We also have cover for when either my husband or I have medical appointments. All this is free to us, not my M-in-L.
We also recently received 50% Council Tax relief or discount, whatever it's called because we both care for her full-time.
I hope that this helps

There's the odd stray post I guess but nearly every post here is not confusing the two... far from it. What they're demonstrating is the postcode lottery and box ticking nature of many Carer's Assessments. The wording of the Act is sufficiently vague to enable local authorities to interpret it however they wish....

Some are nicer than others. Some are more strapped for cash than others too, specially in the poorer regions where there's often more demand for services.

I have qualified AS A CARER to have the highest level of needs in my Carer's Assessment but I get nothing. If I want Respite or time out my mother has to pay for the care. I'm not interested in a voucher for an hour in the gym or whatever but it was never offered anyway. And if it was, they wouldn't pay for my mother to be supervised in my absence.

The famous organisation who has won the outsourced contract to run the Carer's Assessments in my area couldn't even be bothered to let me know. I had to chase them many weeks later, it took several calls, loads of jargon-riddled double-speak, and I have never had it in writing. Or any follow up whatsoever.

Some people here get something, one person in London reports a genuinely nice deal but so far most get nothing or very little. I'm keeping track which is why I asked for private messages if folks don't wish to name the authorities concerned in the forum.

Council Tax discount is nothing to do with Carer's Assessments, that's statutory for mental impairment and many local authorities offer it for carers too. Ours does but that's the (small) local council not the (bigger) authority that is responsible for social care. But you don't need a carer's assessment to get it.

The OP got nothing too

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
I had a Carers assessment & carer break assessment rolled in together yesterday. I wasn't expecting much after a total fiasco for mum. ASC attitude to mum was that as she's self funding "she can gaily go ahead and arrange whatever she needs".

I was not impressed at "gaily"

Anyway, my assessment lasted 3 hours, probably so long as I was upset. Mum had flipped 1/2 hour before telling me to "go away, just leave". So I was frustrated, cross & tearful

The lady listened to me. That was major for me. No one listens to the carer. But she did

The outcome for me was amazing, yes it's promises, but if any of it happens, I'm grateful

- Carers grant to spend on things to help me relax, get a break etc
- A mirror grant for mum (!!), to cover additional care visits so it doesn't cost me double to have a break
- a PA for mum to encourage her to join in activities (mum will have to pay £10 - £15 an hour), but ASC will find someone
- a supper club (x 2) that meets once a month for carer & caree, so mum can see others who are not drugged up or vacantly dribbling, so encourage her to join in DC etc

I was also told the GP should have told me to contact ASC on diagnosis & I would have had a face to face meeting to see what they could do to help me to care for mum

The mirror grant for mum & help finding a PA were a welcome surprise. The supper club may be a way to introduce a little time for me. We may meet someone mum gets on with & make new friends :)

I felt I'd been listened to & someone wants to help me to care for mum. Yes, she will pay for the PA, but at least it'll be someone who has knowledge of Alzheimer's so that's a benefit

Apparently, Sussex are working on educating GP surgeries in where to signpost Carers to. I suggested she contact mums GP :eek:

Brilliant, but what's ASC (I may be being a bit of a muppet here)?

wamw

Oct 9, 2012
swansea, wales
In Wales we only have to pay the first £60 per week of any home care costs - the Council then picks up what's over and above that. If you use your own agency you pay the top-up, as the current rate that the council will pay is around £11 per hour. Private care is much more expensive than this generally, but worth it if you feel you've found an agency you can trust. Just to add that this isn't means tested.

I am in Wales also but have found out the hard way that not all councils offer this. My friend in a different authority from me pays a cap of £60, but I have to pay in full.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
I had a carers assessment last year from Derbyshire Carers. It resulted in me being awarded £250 which I put towards a weekend break at a local country hotel. OH was and still is in hospital. It was a lovely gift of downtime and self indulgence. Of course it didn't make my problem go away but it so eased the pain.

Hello, may I ask if this was before or after April 2016 please? (The legislation changed last April).

I keep thinking of this thread in comparison with the thread in the other forum "what would you do if you had a night off?"

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
Ooh... best of luck. Please keep us posted as I am trying to build up a picture of the variations around the country.

Hi ,just to say I have received confirmation from ASC and as a carer will be eligible to respite allowance and a weekly daycare for my respite .
Along side of this under care and support my hubby as a shower and dressing 3 times a week .
I am surprised to say for this we will pay nothing for 12 months anyway.I do believe it is a matter of ticking the boxes at the end of the day to which you can't advise anyone as we are all different in different circumstances. Good luck to anyone applying for any of these needs or carer's needs .xx

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi ,just to say I have received confirmation from ASC and as a carer will be eligible to respite allowance and a weekly daycare for my respite .
Along side of this under care and support my hubby as a shower and dressing 3 times a week .
I am surprised to say for this we will pay nothing for 12 months anyway.I do believe it is a matter of ticking the boxes at the end of the day to which you can't advise anyone as we are all different in different circumstances. Good luck to anyone applying for any of these needs or carer's needs .xx

Would you be self funding or under the limit?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
We are under the limit but I did expect to pay something as we are not solely reliant on state pension and have savings .x

Sorry, I meant are you self funding, having savings over the £23k limit, or LA funded as under the savings limit. Mum is self funding & I've more or less been told to figure it out for myself until last week.

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
Sorry, I meant are you self funding, having savings over the £23k limit, or LA funded as under the savings limit. Mum is self funding & I've more or less been told to figure it out for myself until last week.

OK, We have under the 23k but a good income and we are funded by the LA.
I'm not sure how it all works but I think it is reviewed again in 12 months .xx

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
OK, We have under the 23k but a good income and we are funded by the LA.
I'm not sure how it all works but I think it is reviewed again in 12 months .xx

Sorry, didn't mean to come over as pushy :eek:. They just checked mums savings, said she's self funding & looked no further.

I've asked for direction on what I can, or should do to make things easier, but got told I can "gaily go ahead and sort whatever I need". No direction, no suggestions, no nothing

From a lot I've read, there seems to be an attitude to self funders of go away & don't bother us till you are broke & broken

For me as the carer, with very little saving left, no earned income & CA, I don't see why mums situation has to be taken into account (twice, once for her and once for me). She doesn't want the Carers if I have a break, I need them to cover me not being here making sure she us safe & calm, so I can relax

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
Sorry, didn't mean to come over as pushy :eek:. They just checked mums savings, said she's self funding & looked no further.

I've asked for direction on what I can, or should do to make things easier, but got told I can "gaily go ahead and sort whatever I need". No direction, no suggestions, no nothing

From a lot I've read, there seems to be an attitude to self funders of go away & don't bother us till you are broke & broken

For me as the carer, with very little saving left, no earned income & CA, I don't see why mums situation has to be taken into account (twice, once for her and once for me). She doesn't want the Carers if I have a break, I need them to cover me not being here making sure she us safe & calm, so I can relax

Hi, Please don't worry you're not being pushy I'm just very new to all this and wasn't sure of wh
ere I stood as regards to income (I new about savings).
To be honest after a brief conversation on the general situation he told me I qualified for carers allowance and did a care and support questionnaire later, when he asked about savings ,so I have waited for a financial assessment reply to which I received after 2 weeks.
So it does seam like we had a fair interview ,I never realised how each authority could vary in providing what all of us need fairness.
I hope you get respite you deserve ,good luck .xx

Susisuster

Mar 6, 2017
Carers grant

Hi, I get a regular monthly payment which I use for gym membership so I can go swimming, pay for a massage once a month to relieve the tension in my back and neck, and I can use what's left for spa days to go out with my daughter and to pay for someone to sit with my husband if needed. There is no charge for this, my husband has not as yet had any social care assessment as he does not want one, but I was able to have a carers one.

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
Hi, I get a regular monthly payment which I use for gym membership so I can go swimming, pay for a massage once a month to relieve the tension in my back and neck, and I can use what's left for spa days to go out with my daughter and to pay for someone to sit with my husband if needed. There is no charge for this, my husband has not as yet had any social care assessment as he does not want one, but I was able to have a carers one.

Hi,I could if I wished have money as a regular payment every month ,not sure yet what I feel is best for me .
We are also having fitted ,grab rails in the shower and downstairs cloakroom.
I wasn't sure if any help was needed at home as regards aid in washing and dressing but it is now obvious to me that this situation we are in is moving on and I am feeling the benefit of this help .xx