Care home top up fees dispute

Bishbash

Mar 9, 2024
Hi, my mother-in-law is in a care home, which is now funded by the local authority. She was self funding for a short period before her money ran out.
We have never signed anything or agreed to a top up fee.
The home started to send us invoices. On receipt I emailed to ask if we could discuss explaining that we can't afford it, not have we ever agreed to it.
They have never responded to any of my emails, and yet every month they keep issuing invoices. ( Once they promised that the manager would contact us, and that never happened)
We genuinely can't afford the fees, and made it very clear all along that we can't pay.
I've asked them many times to stop sending the invoices as they are making me poorly with worry.
I'm so worried now that an extensive debt has built up, that we can't afford and never agreed to.
I wondered if anyone knows if they legally can continue to issue the invoices, and eventually try to get the money from us.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Bishbash and welcome to the Dementia Support forum. It's understandable that the situtation is causing you worry. Have you contacted the local authority about this, as they will have a contract with the care home regarding fees and may be unaware that the home is trying to get you to pay extra funds. If the home will not accept local authority fees without a top-up then the local authority may have to consider moving your mother-in-law. You may want to discuss this with Care Rights UK as they will be able to explain the legal position and provide you with advice. You can contact them via phone or book a half-hour appointment slot and they will contact you - see link below. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Bishbash

Mar 9, 2024
Hi Louise,
Thank you for this. We did let the LA know our position at the start but I've not been in touch with them recently so yes that's a good idea. Thank you also for the link I'll definitely get in touch with them thank you.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi @Bishbash , I pay a top up on my husband and its a proper formal contract document that both I and th Care home signed so its something you would have been aware you signed.
Top ups are voluntary and you cannot be forced to pay them. Also the LA usually asks for information about the money you are using, where it has come from and you have to prove 2 years of funds.
It must be a mistake on their part as its obvious you would notice all these things happening. If the Care home don't respond contact the LA. Its probably just an error but massively stressful for you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harrymarshallbrooks@gmail