Care home resident enjoys showering but care home only offering once a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
just thinking....

To shower or not to shower every day. I can see the pov of both the Ch and the relative.

From the pov of my mother, showering is now a horrible experience. She is losing her language, but in trying to tell me that 'they' had given her a shower, she described it like this.

"hitting all over" "most unpleasant" and used her hand to pat herself all over. It occurred to me that perhaps the water spray is actually painful on her frail, thin skinned body. Is that why people seem afraid or reluctant to shower?

I had never thought of this but you could easily be right. Showers do vary a lot in their intensity - I can see why some people would feel positively battered. I have felt a bit like that myself once or twice in an over-powerful hotel shower. But at the time I have mostly just thought of what a colossal waste it is, both of water and of the energy for heating it.

Realn

Mar 15, 2014
Bury, Manchester.
At work i find people usually prefer a bath. It also allows me to get into the hard to reach places - in between toes etc (that is, if they are unable to wash themselves). If someone is doubly incontinent i make a point of bathing them a lot more regularly. It also allows me to ascertain any skin concerns - rashes, skin breakdown, pressure areas, bruises etc.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
At work i find people usually prefer a bath. It also allows me to get into the hard to reach places - in between toes etc (that is, if they are unable to wash themselves). If someone is doubly incontinent i make a point of bathing them a lot more regularly. It also allows me to ascertain any skin concerns - rashes, skin breakdown, pressure areas, bruises etc.

Thank you RealNurse. This is what people, especially those who are doubly incontinent, need if they are to stay healthy and what their relatives should expect from a 'RealCareHome'.:)

If some homes can reach this minimum standard, why can't they all?

Realn

Mar 15, 2014
Bury, Manchester.
Hi Stanley, i work on an organic assessment unit for people with dementia, or are leaning towards a diagnosis of dementia, within an NHS trust. The people i look after recieve very good care, but unfortunately (for my own selfish reasons, i do get attached) it is only an assessment unit, and people will eventually go into care outside of hospital once their needs have been identified.

Thank you RealNurse. This is what people, especially those who are doubly incontinent, need if they are to stay healthy and what their relatives should expect from a 'RealCareHome'.:)

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Possibly because all homes differ!

When my husband is bathed or showered, it takes at least 40 - 45 minutes by the time he is hoisted out of bed into a bathing chair, then hoisted back to his own electronic chair etc. He is unable to help by moving backwards or forwards and cannot do anything for himself and is also terrified of what is happening to him so is in no way compliant.

Any slight slip or knock will result in his amputation site opening up as it is only skin on top of bone, with no flesh or muscle in between as this has shrunk away so utmost care is necessary which takes time. His other skin is also fragile.

Others on his wing are all frail and need everything done for them.
Multiply those 45 minutes by 20, add in those who are continent being hoisted to the loo and back multiple times a day, those not continent having to be hoisted for changing, everyone being taken where they want to be, feeding the residents, providing them with cups of tea etc as well as having to do the actual feeding for many etc. etc. etc.
Are there enough hours in the day?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I've already said that what to do about residents who are terrified or non-compliant is a separate issue.

I believe this thread started with a worry that someone who would allow showering/bathing was not being showered/bathed and it seems that a weekly shower/bath is the norm even for people who would welcome a more frequent shower.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Apologies to Stanleypj as I've take this quote out of context, it is not how it looks, he said:
"I've already said that what to do about residents who are terrified or non-compliant"
Is it just me or is "non-compliant" about the ugliest phrase going? It get's bandied about a lot as in Stan's (out of context) quote and by care homes and medical profession in general but how could you use it in a "normal" context. Imagine any scenario in the world where I wanted to do something to you then critised you for being "terrified and non-compliant". Some oldies don't like the humiliation of a public shower or bath, no locks on the doors anyone, staff or patient may wander in remember the school showers after games:eek:who'd want to do that every day.
Maybe it's just me but "non-compliant" seems so Stalinist, rant over, peace and love.
K

clareglen

Jul 9, 2013
Cumbria
My mum went into 16 days respite for the first time recently. I gave her a bath the night before & sent her with bubble bath, deodrant, etc. She had specified in her assessment she preferred a bath, doesn't like showers. I was dismayed when I collected her that she said she'd only had 1 bath in the whole time! And by the smell of her I think she was right. I expected them doing it every day. Neither did she take her bubble bath & deodrant to the bathroom :rolleyes: & obviously no-one asked her for them. Just splashed her with water she said & hauled her about (she does exaggerate). She had an en suite toilet & handbasin in her room but said there wasn't any hot water. There was but it needed 'running'. She told me there wasn't enough staff to bath more often. She had her hair washed & set by a professional hairdresser both weeks who she paid at the time. At over £500 a week in a lovely care home I did expect more hygiene than this. The first thing when I got her home I had to bath her which I didn't expect to have to do. So it does sound like the norm. I know of a couple who went into respite for 2 weeks in a local authority home & they weren't offered a shower or bath at all!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Apologies to Stanleypj as I've take this quote out of context, it is not how it looks, he said:
"I've already said that what to do about residents who are terrified or non-compliant"
Is it just me or is "non-compliant" about the ugliest phrase going? It get's bandied about a lot as in Stan's (out of context) quote and by care homes and medical profession in general but how could you use it in a "normal" context. Imagine any scenario in the world where I wanted to do something to you then critised you for being "terrified and non-compliant". Some oldies don't like the humiliation of a public shower or bath, no locks on the doors anyone, staff or patient may wander in remember the school showers after games:eek:who'd want to do that every day.
Maybe it's just me but "non-compliant" seems so Stalinist, rant over, peace and love.
K

Yes, I agree with you Kevin. I was using the term 'professionals' use without thinking.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
My mum went into 16 days respite for the first time recently. I gave her a bath the night before & sent her with bubble bath, deodrant, etc. She had specified in her assessment she preferred a bath, doesn't like showers. I was dismayed when I collected her that she said she'd only had 1 bath in the whole time! And by the smell of her I think she was right. I expected them doing it every day. Neither did she take her bubble bath & deodrant to the bathroom :rolleyes: & obviously no-one asked her for them. Just splashed her with water she said & hauled her about (she does exaggerate). She had an en suite toilet & handbasin in her room but said there wasn't any hot water. There was but it needed 'running'. She told me there wasn't enough staff to bath more often. She had her hair washed & set by a professional hairdresser both weeks who she paid at the time. At over £500 a week in a lovely care home I did expect more hygiene than this. The first thing when I got her home I had to bath her which I didn't expect to have to do. So it does sound like the norm. I know of a couple who went into respite for 2 weeks in a local authority home & they weren't offered a shower or bath at all!

Surely this is unacceptable.

It surprises me that, given that there are plenty of references on TP to reallly good care homes, peoplle are so willing to excuse the care homes that are not attempting to meet minimum standards,

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
It surprises me that, given that there are plenty of references on TP to reallly good care homes, peoplle are so willing to excuse the care homes that are not attempting to meet minimum standards,

I discussed this with my husband's nursing home on Monday.
Yes, the residents, all of whom as I have previously said, are frail and mainly immobile.
are bathed or showered once a week.
Note the third person - nobody is able to manage alone or even with one carer, two are needed for each person.
In between they have daily top to toe washes, including all private areas of course, every day.
This is considered less traumatic for the resident as they do not need hoisting and transferring to and from a special shower chair and deluged with water.
Also less chance of slipping as most need support.
All areas which need special treatment such as special cream also treated at the same time.
Clothes are changed daily or more frequently if necessary and areas needing refreshing done as needed.
All of the above I have personally observed.

Surely the aim should be to keep residents clean, fresh and as relaxed and content as possible.
To have a shower or a bath can be traumatic for many and can cause immense distress.

I have more important issues to concern myself with regarding my husband's health, none of which would be alleviated by an extra shower a week. In fact that would in all probability exacerbate the situation.
So, I do object to the implied criticism in the above quote that I am in some way selling my husband short by settling for an inferior home simply because he has more washes than showers.

Last edited:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Once again Saffie I feel you are overlooking the fact that, as the title of the thread makes clear, this is about people who enjoy showering.

Of course the residents of some home will exclusively, or alamost exclusively, be people who will not co-operate or who, for obvious reasons, cannot be showered or bathed frequently.

I thought I'd made that clear in my previous posts but I obviously didn't so I apologise.

I certainly appreciate that you have more important concerns.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Thank you Stanley.
I admit to being quite defensive regarding my husband's care as I watch it like a hawk and am similarly hawk-like in my ability to pounce on something I am not happy about.

I would liked him to have returned home rather than have gone into a nursing home in the first place so am doubly watchful and critical!

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
I've been thinking about this post so today I asked mum's care home how often she has a bath/shower and she said it's once a week and they can choose if they have a bath or shower. Mum has always liked baths and she knew that so they clearly respect their wishes in that regard.

I pointed out that mum always looks washed and fresh and she said they have a wash every morning and evening too. She said mum is running low on toothpaste so they obviously keep and eye on that too!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon

As I said in my previous post Pete gets a bath once a week (gold star to his lovely carers for achievement:D) However not only is he doubly incontinent he has psoriasis so twice a day the carers have to fill in a skin viability chart and use the prescribed cream for him. So he is looked after without the trauma (for him) of being hoisted and bathed, both of which would make him very agitated or aggressive.

By the way I do check the chart;)

Take care

Lyn T

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
My Dad gets two baths a week at his care home and full all over washes all the other days, he always smells nice and fresh and has moisturiser applied all over daily.

Funny enough his CPN told me not to judge a home by daily shower/baths and to concentrate more on the care, stimulation and kindness that the staff showed on a daily basis.

I suppose we tend to judge things on a modern basis but when Dad was a youngster there is no way a daily bath was the norm, he is 86 now and I doubt they had hot running water for a daily bath.

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
My mother is no longer able to get in the bath nor the sit in bath along the corridor (she is 99 and lives in retirement accommodation - owning her own flat). She does however receive a full wash down every day which although not perfect does keep her clean and with no offensive smells apart from a recent UTI and that is now gone.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
My Dad gets two baths a week at his care home and full all over washes all the other days, he always smells nice and fresh and has moisturiser applied all over daily.

Funny enough his CPN told me not to judge a home by daily shower/baths and to concentrate more on the care, stimulation and kindness that the staff showed on a daily basis.

I suppose we tend to judge things on a modern basis but when Dad was a youngster there is no way a daily bath was the norm, he is 86 now and I doubt they had hot running water for a daily bath.

I'm only 69 and I remember that even in my early years, a weekly bath was the norm - if you bathed at all! By the time we had our first home - mid twenties - a daily bath/shower was becoming the norm.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
I would hope that common sense would prevail though. My mum is 66, not incontinent (to date), is able to maintain a certain level of hygiene (though this is deteriorating with her memory). I would hope the ladies who require more attention receive it. The care home never has an unpleasant smell and the residents look clean and tidy. I visited many and I have to say they couldn't all boast this.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
If its any comfort, it is much easier to reach and wash all the 'bits' when giving a bed bath, as opposed to actually putting someone in the bath or shower :) With a bed bath, its so much easier to turn someone, and even to do things like making sure in between the toes are properly washed - in a bath, or if someone is sat on a shower chair, it can be so much more difficult to do other than squeeze a sponge of soapy water and then rinse, in order to try to get the bottom area properly clean - and lifting someones foot/feet in the bath can cause panic, and some find it hard to balance once feet are lifted. Although we technically were not supposed to 'waste' pads, the biggest incontinence pads, plus 3 large towels, made it more than possible to give full shampoo's too - rolled towel under neck, pad placed under neck and head, towel over the top of the pad - and a bowel of warm water and a small jug. An experienced carer can combine this with a full bedding change, and it can be done quickly and gently - it meant that even those who were bed bound and too fearful of the hoist or water, could be kept lovely and clean and comfortable.

I do agree though, that those who want a bath or shower more than once a week should be able to have this - its not just about keeping clean - a bath or shower can be so relaxing, and for some, they just don't feel 'fresh' enough, and so are not comfortable with a 'once a week' tubbing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.