Can't handle care agencies and moving - fed up rant alert

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by nae sporran, Nov 26, 2016.

1. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    I emailed the Building manager and copied it to her head office and to Social Services, but will call at 9.30 tomorrow to make sure. On site care manager never gave us a direct contact number, which is one of the frustrations I raised on email.

All the best to you and your mum, JM.

2. nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Thanks Sammyjo. Do you have family who can help?

Best of luck with your move, maybe we can compare notes in a couple of weeks if we're still able to type. :)

3. Sammyjo1

Sammyjo1 Registered User

Jul 8, 2014
    Thanks Rob. Unfortunately I don't have any family who can help - OH's siblings are about as much use as a chocolate teapot and I am trying hard not to be bitter and twisted about them.
    My family all live abroad. I do have very supportive friends and am getting professional help as well so should be ok.

I hope your move goes as smoothly as possible. I think I'll be lying down in a darkened room for a while after ours. Luckily we're going to stay with friends for Christmas - can't wait!

4. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    I don't have a direct line for care manager - but can just phone into building reception and be put through to her on the days she works. Whilst care is paid for to council, this is provided by a care firm subcontracted in by council and I don't think SS have much if any contact with them. SS did the initial review of mum, as required by the housing association, but that was it, and I don't get the impression from care manager she has much contact with SS in total for others either. Building manager is employed be housing association and has absolutely nothing (clearly explained) to do with the care side of it at my mum's as this is in theory run by the council, but subcontracted to the care firm. I hope this explanation helps you try to navigate things.

Building manager does run all the activities though. They share an office but work is very clearly delineated.

Hope this helps. I am sure once you are in and settled it will all be worth it, moving is always horrendously stressful.

5. Mal2

Mal2 Registered User

Oct 14, 2014
    Enfield
    Hello Rob. I was so sorry to read you post. Moving is so stressful, without additional problems looming up. I am pleased to see you have managed to contact people. I hope things will now fall into place, and run smoothly for you both. Thinking of you and Christel. Take care M xxx :)

6. disi

disi Registered User

Hi Rob, I'm so sorry you are having such problems, as everyone says moving is stressful enough without being a 24/7 carer. I'm so pleased you have managed to speak with someone and sincerely hope it can be worked out satisfactorily. Hope Christel's son comes in good time tomorrow. With very best wishes, Diana

7. nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Thanks for the explanation JM. I looked at the notice board today and there is a separate number on there, so will call that tomorrow.

Thanks Mal and Di. Hope you are both well.

8. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

I'm so sorry - but not surprised - that your own health is suffering as a result of all this stress. Moving health in itself is one of the most stressful things we encounter. Trying to do that alongside 24/7 care takes it to a different level!

As Esmeralda said, anything extra shows up how close to the edge full-time carers are even under 'normal' circumstances :(

I hope you get some answers tomorrow and that what you hear is reassuring.

9. nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    We moved yesterday, went fairly smoothly in the end. No internet for about 2 weeks, though I can pop down to the old place to pick up a few bits and pieces while sorting some things out for another day or two.

Thanks again to everyone for advice and a bit of moral support, could not have survived the weekend with you. All the best. Rob :)

10. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

I'm very glad that the move went smoothly and hope that you both enjoy your new home.

11. CeliaW

CeliaW Registered User

Jan 29, 2009
    Hampshire
    Well done Rob, all the best to you and your OH in your new abode and hope it makes life a little easier for you and the settling in goes as smoothly as possible for both of you x

12. nannylondon

nannylondon Registered User

Apr 7, 2014
    London
    Hi Rob, so glad the move went smoothly, hope you and Chrystel enjoy your new home big hug Sandi

13. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Well done Rob. I hope you and C settle well into your new home.

14. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    Rob, glad to hear that you are in your new home, hoping that you both settle in quickly.

15. Sammyjo1

Sammyjo1 Registered User

Jul 8, 2014
    Well done Rob in getting moved successfully. You give me hope that mine will go smoothly as well.

Good luck with everything in the new place and i hope you'll be able to cope without broadband!

16. Lilac Blossom

Lilac Blossom Registered User

Oct 6, 2014
    Scotland
    Just caught up with this thread - sorry the move has been so difficult Rob. Now that you have moved in I hope that everything will gradually fall into place and that life will be a lot easier for you to cope in your new home.

All the best xx

17. esmeralda

esmeralda Registered User

Nov 27, 2014
    Devon
    Glad you are moved now Rob, hope everything starts to fall into place. Virtual 'welcome to your New Home' card on its way to you and Christel:):):)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

18. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    So glad the move is over Rob :) wishing you and Christl all the best on your new home . Here's to an easier time for both of you .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

19. maryw

maryw Registered User

Nov 16, 2008
    Surrey
    Rob, so pleased you've moved. Hope you and Christel settle happily in your new home x

20. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Wishing you both happiness in your new home :)