Can't handle care agencies and moving - fed up rant alert

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi Rob

Hopefully once you are in, the care package will kick in and all will be well. It sounds like the care manager didn't explain it properly, as she would have known that the on site team would take over on day 1. She probably assumed you knew how it worked as it should have been explained when you were offered the flat, not when you were sorting out the care routine with her.

Is she on site tomorrow - she would be a good point of contact if she is - as she should rota the carers etc. My mum's is lovely and was very helpful when she moved in and when she returned after hospital a couple of years ago.

JM

I emailed the Building manager and copied it to her head office and to Social Services, but will call at 9.30 tomorrow to make sure. On site care manager never gave us a direct contact number, which is one of the frustrations I raised on email.

All the best to you and your mum, JM.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hi Rob.

Just wanted to say that I really empathise with what you are going through as we are moving into a smaller place in a week's time. My OH is still pretty independent but is unable to help with any aspect of the move and I am feeling totally overwhelmed.

All that's keeping me going is the thought of how much better and easier things will be for us once we have moved and settled down.

I hope you manage to get the care and support you need during the next few days - it is such a worrying time isn't it?

Good luck with everything and stay strong!

Thanks Sammyjo. Do you have family who can help?

Best of luck with your move, maybe we can compare notes in a couple of weeks if we're still able to type. :)

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
Thanks Sammyjo. Do you have family who can help?

Best of luck with your move, maybe we can compare notes in a couple of weeks if we're still able to type. :)

Thanks Rob. Unfortunately I don't have any family who can help - OH's siblings are about as much use as a chocolate teapot and I am trying hard not to be bitter and twisted about them.
My family all live abroad. I do have very supportive friends and am getting professional help as well so should be ok.

I hope your move goes as smoothly as possible. I think I'll be lying down in a darkened room for a while after ours. Luckily we're going to stay with friends for Christmas - can't wait!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I don't have a direct line for care manager - but can just phone into building reception and be put through to her on the days she works. Whilst care is paid for to council, this is provided by a care firm subcontracted in by council and I don't think SS have much if any contact with them. SS did the initial review of mum, as required by the housing association, but that was it, and I don't get the impression from care manager she has much contact with SS in total for others either. Building manager is employed be housing association and has absolutely nothing (clearly explained) to do with the care side of it at my mum's as this is in theory run by the council, but subcontracted to the care firm. I hope this explanation helps you try to navigate things.

Building manager does run all the activities though. They share an office but work is very clearly delineated.

Hope this helps. I am sure once you are in and settled it will all be worth it, moving is always horrendously stressful.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Hello Rob. I was so sorry to read you post. Moving is so stressful, without additional problems looming up. I am pleased to see you have managed to contact people. I hope things will now fall into place, and run smoothly for you both. Thinking of you and Christel. Take care M xxx :)

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
Hi Rob, I'm so sorry you are having such problems, as everyone says moving is stressful enough without being a 24/7 carer. I'm so pleased you have managed to speak with someone and sincerely hope it can be worked out satisfactorily. Hope Christel's son comes in good time tomorrow. With very best wishes, Diana

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I don't have a direct line for care manager - but can just phone into building reception and be put through to her on the days she works. Whilst care is paid for to council, this is provided by a care firm subcontracted in by council and I don't think SS have much if any contact with them. SS did the initial review of mum, as required by the housing association, but that was it, and I don't get the impression from care manager she has much contact with SS in total for others either. Building manager is employed be housing association and has absolutely nothing (clearly explained) to do with the care side of it at my mum's as this is in theory run by the council, but subcontracted to the care firm. I hope this explanation helps you try to navigate things.

Building manager does run all the activities though. They share an office but work is very clearly delineated.

Hope this helps. I am sure once you are in and settled it will all be worth it, moving is always horrendously stressful.

Thanks for the explanation JM. I looked at the notice board today and there is a separate number on there, so will call that tomorrow.

Thanks Mal and Di. Hope you are both well.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I'm so sorry - but not surprised - that your own health is suffering as a result of all this stress. Moving health in itself is one of the most stressful things we encounter. Trying to do that alongside 24/7 care takes it to a different level!

As Esmeralda said, anything extra shows up how close to the edge full-time carers are even under 'normal' circumstances :(

I hope you get some answers tomorrow and that what you hear is reassuring.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
We moved yesterday, went fairly smoothly in the end. No internet for about 2 weeks, though I can pop down to the old place to pick up a few bits and pieces while sorting some things out for another day or two.

Thanks again to everyone for advice and a bit of moral support, could not have survived the weekend with you. All the best. Rob :)

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Well done Rob, all the best to you and your OH in your new abode and hope it makes life a little easier for you and the settling in goes as smoothly as possible for both of you x

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
We moved yesterday, went fairly smoothly in the end. No internet for about 2 weeks, though I can pop down to the old place to pick up a few bits and pieces while sorting some things out for another day or two.

Thanks again to everyone for advice and a bit of moral support, could not have survived the weekend with you. All the best. Rob :)

Hi Rob, so glad the move went smoothly, hope you and Chrystel enjoy your new home big hug Sandi

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
Well done Rob in getting moved successfully. You give me hope that mine will go smoothly as well.

Good luck with everything in the new place and i hope you'll be able to cope without broadband!

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Just caught up with this thread - sorry the move has been so difficult Rob. Now that you have moved in I hope that everything will gradually fall into place and that life will be a lot easier for you to cope in your new home.

All the best xx

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Glad you are moved now Rob, hope everything starts to fall into place. Virtual 'welcome to your New Home' card on its way to you and Christel:):):)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
So glad the move is over Rob :) wishing you and Christl all the best on your new home . Here's to an easier time for both of you .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point