But oh those lonely nights .........

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Oh I'm sure it does. As I might have mentioned, I've had this for a few years, but with John's illness, it just went onto the back burner - and we've all put someone elses health before our own, haven't we.

My son in the SA, Skypes me once or twice each week. I've just had an email from him, saying he woke up ( 1.30 am), feeling worried about me and was I OK. Isn't that spooky. I've lied beautifully, and said that except for the ol' arthritis, torn rotator cuff etc, I'm fine!

Hope you have a good day Scarlett. We Mam's, do tell wonderful porkies, don't we? :D:D:D

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Grand-daughter came over today, and asked if I wanted to watch The Crown on Netflix, as she has an account. So we watched 3 episodes together, and it was great! I said that she was actually doing the modern day version of being a Lady's Companion, because instead of reading to me, she was accessing a very interesting series, that I enjoyed.

She replied that she had the best Saturday job ever!!!! xxx

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Grand-daughter came over today, and asked if I wanted to watch The Crown on Netflix, as she has an account. So we watched 3 episodes together, and it was great! I said that she was actually doing the modern day version of being a Lady's Companion, because instead of reading to me, she was accessing a very interesting series, that I enjoyed.

She replied that she had the best Saturday job ever!!!! xxx

How sweet of her, so caring xxxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Quite dramatic at the hospital with Gloria today. They believe she may have latent TB, and are altering her treatment accordingly. She had TB 68 years ago and was in a sanatorium for 2 years.

Apparently it's non contagious and can be controlled with medication. We waited nearly 2 hours at the pharmacy, and she said she'd be so pleased if the steroids are stopped, or at least reduced, as they've caused quite a lot of facial hair, which is so distressing to her.

She is absolutely exhausted, and her face is puffing up again, so they'll need to drain the fluid at some point this week, as this is putting a strain on her heart. What a roller coaster it all is for her.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Gloria is so blessed to have such a good friend as you Scarlett, but please make sure you look after yourself too xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read about your friend. I'm glad she has you for support but it must be emotionally draining for you.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Quite dramatic at the hospital with Gloria today. They believe she may have latent TB, and are altering her treatment accordingly. She had TB 68 years ago and was in a sanatorium for 2 years.

Apparently it's non contagious and can be controlled with medication. We waited nearly 2 hours at the pharmacy, and she said she'd be so pleased if the steroids are stopped, or at least reduced, as they've caused quite a lot of facial hair, which is so distressing to her.

She is absolutely exhausted, and her face is puffing up again, so they'll need to drain the fluid at some point this week, as this is putting a strain on her heart. What a roller coaster it all is for her.

Morning Scarlett.
Do hope everything goes well for Gloria. Make sure you take care of yourself. Have a good day. M xxx :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Poor Gloria - and poor Scarlett. We tend to forget these days how very prevalent TB used to be. I remember my grandparents saying that here in Ireland, you'd be hard put to find a family that hadn't been affected by it.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
John's Mum died of TB, at age 28/29. As you say, we forget how many families were affected by this. I think the findings are similar to those of asbestosis, which don't manifest themselves until 40 years after people were first exposed to asbestos.

But, I'm hopeful Gloria's condition can be treated. :) I'm off to choir rehearsal today, and will slap my thigh with gusto. :D At least I now know all the words of both the script, and the 13 songs - and so do a lot of other people in hospital waiting rooms. ;)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
You are amazing, Scarlett. Hope Gloria's condition can be improved by medication. I had a course for 6 months in the 80s because of scarring on the lungs which strangely enough has just come to light again as a result of a chest x-ray. My GPs weren't aware of it as 'all medical records were computerised in 2002',!! They eventually found hard copies of correspondence relating to this in their archives but no x-ray so was sent to have a CT scan to see what has happened in the intervening nearly 30 years! Rang for result 2 weeks later to be told that the GP hadn't commented on it yet and she would ring me to discuss on the 14 Nov! Am assuming there is not much to say if it takes that long. What happened to the days when you could see your doctor in a day or so? Enjoy your rehearsal and don't cause too much bruising

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
What happened to the days when you could see your doctor in a day or so? Enjoy your rehearsal and don't cause too much bruising

Indeed, I can remember those far-off days, when you went into the waiting room, and if there were a lot of people there, you went off, did some shopping, and came back. Then you waited your turn, people coughing, smoking, sneezing, chatting, and then went in.

I also remember when you phoned the number of a company and spoke to a Real Person, who connected your call to the correct extension. And you weren't given a dozen options, of which number to press, which meant by the time you'd heard number 8, you'd forgotten 1 to 7. ;)

Hope all goes OK for you. :)

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Indeed, I can remember those far-off days, when you went into the waiting room, and if there were a lot of people there, you went off, did some shopping, and came back. Then you waited your turn, people coughing, smoking, sneezing, chatting, and then went in.

I also remember when you phoned the number of a company and spoke to a Real Person, who connected your call to the correct extension. And you weren't given a dozen options, of which number to press, which meant by the time you'd heard number 8, you'd forgotten 1 to 7. ;)

Hope all goes OK for you. :)

Good afternoon, Scarlett.
I remember sitting in the surgery. As everyone came in they would ask who was the last to come in, so everyone knew where they were and were seen in turn. No pushing in, and, lots of interesting stories from the older generation. Now no one speaks, all texting. Sad isn't it?
Phone calls were so much more personal too. We were dealt with straight away, operator was polite and helpful, not like now, as we are told we are 99th in the queue hanging on for an hour :eek: Mind you. occasionally, we do speak to a Real Person, the trouble is they are in India, or some far flung distant land. :D

Have a pleasant day. M xxx:)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Good afternoon, Scarlett.
I remember sitting in the surgery. As everyone came in they would ask who was the last to come in, so everyone knew where they were and were seen in turn. No pushing in, and, lots of interesting stories from the older generation. Now no one speaks, all texting. Sad isn't it?
Phone calls were so much more personal too. We were dealt with straight away, operator was polite and helpful, not like now, as we are told we are 99th in the queue hanging on for an hour :eek: Mind you. occasionally, we do speak to a Real Person, the trouble is they are in India, or some far flung distant land. :D

Have a pleasant day. M xxx:)

Thank you for making me smile. :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Back in the day, I was one of those "real people" - a switchboard operator for a large firm of Solicitors. No one could phone outside the building without going through me, and all incoming calls were answered and directed to the most appropriate person by me. In those days, I probably had well over 100 telephone numbers stored in my head. Now, I don't even know my mother's mobile number - and only know her house number because she's had the same number since we were teenagers!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Gloria's back in hospital. Her blood pressure and pulse were racing, and she is so terribly weak. The consultant said he was "puzzled", and further tests will take place tomorrow. My poor friend. :(

Then the police visited yesterday to ask me to look at cctv footage of people going into my neighbour's house. She has Alzheimer's, is in her 90s, and lives on her own. A carer arrived to find a man and a woman in there. The woman was keeping my neighbour occupied, whilst the man was in her bedroom, rifling through wardrobes and drawers.

They assaulted the carer, and of course my neighbour couldn't remember, 5 minutes later, that anyone had even been there. The images weren't clear, as they were from another neighbour's cctv, further up the road, on the opposite side, and I couldn't recognise anyone.

The police asked if I had contact numbers, and if I'd phone the nieces and nephews to tell them. I said I'd give the police the numbers but I wouldn't make the calls, as whenever I phone, if she's unwell, or has fallen, or gone missing, I'm made to feel a nuisance.

The police phoned, and then came this morning to tell me it took 6 hours for someone to come round. Two of the relatives live about 5 miles away, and one lives 10 minutes walk away. :eek:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Gloria's back in hospital. Her blood pressure and pulse were racing, and she is so terribly weak. The consultant said he was "puzzled", and further tests will take place tomorrow. My poor friend. :(

Then the police visited yesterday to ask me to look at cctv footage of people going into my neighbour's house. She has Alzheimer's, is in her 90s, and lives on her own. A carer arrived to find a man and a woman in there. The woman was keeping my neighbour occupied, whilst the man was in her bedroom, rifling through wardrobes and drawers.

They assaulted the carer, and of course my neighbour couldn't remember, 5 minutes later, that anyone had even been there. The images weren't clear, as they were from another neighbour's cctv, further up the road, on the opposite side, and I couldn't recognise anyone.

The police asked if I had contact numbers, and if I'd phone the nieces and nephews to tell them. I said I'd give the police the numbers but I wouldn't make the calls, as whenever I phone, if she's unwell, or has fallen, or gone missing, I'm made to feel a nuisance.

The police phoned, and then came this morning to tell me it took 6 hours for someone to come round. Two of the relatives live about 5 miles away, and one lives 10 minutes walk away. :eek:
OOOOOHHHhhhhh! Just speechless! The absolute scum!! And as for the relatives! I guess the next step now is a nursing home for the poor woman- where at least she would be safe? I assume the Police will have contacted SS? I'm sure once the neighbour dies, and there's the sniff of inheriting, the relatives will not take so long to come around! :mad::mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bronskibeat