But oh those lonely nights .........

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Oh Verity - rats!!!! I'm terrified of rodents, and because my neighbours feed the birds, and the feed drops down from the bird table, they frequently have them. And of course, the rats don't understand garden fences. :(

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
I find there's quite enough of the things I like, on Freeview, but annoyingly, so many clash. It's OK for the ITV channels, because they have a plus one facility, but the others don't.

I read somewhere that the Carrs factory (of water biscuits fame) was flooded, but I don't know what has affected bourbon biscuits! The ones I bought are gluten free, but I have phoned the shop to tell the lad that I have them. He was very pleased. :)

All this talk about bourbon biscuits Scarlett, they are just my favourites. Unfortunately I can't get them over here in Sweden :eek::eek: When I came over recently to the UK, can you believe I actually forgot to bring some back, senior moment again:D:D

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O Verity no contest! Pay the money and lose the rats!
They terrify me to the extent it is probably phobic..
All rodents do in the main but rats ar by far the worst.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
O Verity no contest! Pay the money and lose the rats!
They terrify me to the extent it is probably phobic..
All rodents do in the main but rats ar by far the worst.

I am the same. :( Verity, stop feeding the birds, get the Rat Exterminator in, and put your mind at ease. :)

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
We had a rat colony under our shed , we didn't feed the birds but neighbour was on the grass ,,and even with a rant from OH she still does.

However ...rats live close to us whether we know it or not , see them or not.
Even if you stop feeding they will remain somewhere. Xx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
I hate rats with a passion but I do love watching the birds feeding. It will be very hard to take the feeders down when they are used go them being there. Specially this time of the year. I wonder if the seed catcher trays that go under the feeders work? Will consult pest controller (or rat catchers as they were known!) and investigate.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I gave up feeding birds because of the rats here - I know in the country, there will be rats anyway, but no point encouraging them. I've done what I can to stop them around the chicken pen. I even have paving slabs on the floor there, and the walls are 2.5mm weldmesh which come down and extend under the slabs for a couple of feet. The rats tunnelled under the slabs - some of the slabs now tip up when you walk out there. We'll have to do some work out there when the weather is milder. Maybe put the wire the whole way under the floor or something. The chicken feed is already in a rat-proof feeder, so it's not as big a problem as it used to be. Haven't actually seen a rat all year, thankfully!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I though it was 6 so am feeling a little safer now!
I gave up the bird table but try to assuage my guilt by keeping 3 bird baths full!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Well that's reassuring, Stanley. However my rat person counted AT LEAST 20 runs in my garden and under the shed. He showed me therir tracks between shed and shrubbery where feeders are. They have gnawed their way into the shed and it is full of their pellets. Have taken bird feeders down much to confusion of sparrows and tits. He says I can put them back up in 3 weeks when the treatment Is complete and agrees that seed catchers on the feeders should work well. However, we do back on to fields with old stone walling so I think they will always be present no matter what we do. Hopefully not as close as my garden shed. The strange thing is that I never see any. They must emerge at night. Sorry, hope I haven't given you all the shivers!! Just imagine how many I would have had in the breeding season

Last edited:

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I read Saffie's reply first, so I daren't look at Stanley's link, as I know it won't be pleasant! The new DVD recorder/player was delivered by a child of about 3 (!), well OK, a young man about 18, who explained everything at 100 miles and hour, and thrust the instruction book in my direction saying "iss all in 'ere luv". This will need careful step-by-step reading, but then I did cope with the 116 page report from CRAG, so there's hope for me.

But boy oh boy, did our singing go down well at Liverpool Street Station! There were 3 ladies from Marie Curie, wearing large DiddyMen type yellow hats, and they had the daffodils and the collecting buckets.

What a great audience! People were recording us on their phones, which was amazing, and they were all ages. Coins and notes were thrust into the tins, and the best thing was ................. commuters smiled!

As I knew I would never see any of them again, I gave full throttle when I sang to a group of young men, suited and booted, "Amore", ;) and was delighted when they got their wallets out!!!!! Island of Dreams, Bachelor Boy, Teenager in Love and Halfway to Paradise had the older commuters smiling, and the younger ones had a good laugh at Teddy Bear, Wooden Heart and It's Now or Never. And we sang about another 30. :)

And then, in the middle of this huge throng of rushing people, a lady suddenly stopped, gobsmacked - it was my daughter's best friend, on her way home! I couldn't really chat, but she was just asked how I was and what I was doing singing, and then gave me a fiver for the collection.

My granddaughter texted me to ask how it had gone, and I said we'd raised a lot of money (don't know how much yet), and that I'd seen Lisa, and she replied "well done on your singing".

Now I was determined not to get upset, by the lack of Mother's Day cards, but the sad thing is that Lisa's Mum died 10 years ago, and she'd probably love to be able to send her a card. I can't be any more hurt than I was at Christmas, when my daughter made no contact (I haven't heard from her now for nearly 5 months), so I'm going to text her next week and say

"As you know, Dad's entry should, hopefully, appear in the Book of Remembrance next week, and I would love it if you would come with me. I hope you're all well. Love Mum xxx"

The worst that can happen is I get a vitriolic reply. The second worst is that I don't get any reply. What do you all think? I'd really appreciate any comments/advice. xxx

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Good for you Scarlett, amore was a fave of Fil , he sang as Kareoke at new yrs even in his 80s , it was knew of his funeral celebration of life songs .

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Oh dear Scarlett. You dau needs a good talking to but how lovely that your granddaughter stays in touch. I think I would send that text but try to prepare myself against yet more hurt. It's so difficult. It would be very spiteful of her to send a vitriolic response or ignore you but, from what you have said in the past, that seems to be the way she is. Wish I could offer a more positive response. Well done on your singing by the way. Yet another achievement.xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Yes, I agree. Do send it. You are reaching out and if it's not accepted then at least you have tried. Your wording can not be in any way considered provocative. You have a lovely caring granddaughter but I know that doesn't make up for the hurt felt at your daughter's attitude. I am sorry.

How lovely to receive such a reaction at Liverpool Street Station. I'd love to have been there. I expect it's changed a lot since the days I used to pass through it but I'm sure it could still do with the cheering up you all gave it. Wonderful. Congratulations. :)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I had a nice email from my son, wishing me Happy British Mothers Day (they celebrate it in May in the USA, and everywhere else in the world), and one from my grand-daughter, wishing me Happy Mother's Day, and saying that she's sent a card.

So that's nice. Also I have a Building Society account, that I've paid a set sum of money into each month since she was born, and converted this into a Bond a few years ago. Each year, I add to it, with what has been paid in during that year.

She's had the paper work sent to her, stating that it's due to mature (we roll it over, each year), and I explained what she needed to do, or said I would do it, and thankfully, she wants to do it with me, and so she's coming to me next week, and I'll take her to the Building Society to do this, and have dinner, which will be another lovely opportunity to see her.

That's next Monday, and then Thursday next week is Book of Remembrance Day, and would have been my wedding anniversary - 48 years. I'll send the text to my daughter later this week, and hope she responds, but if not, I'll go to the Crem on my own, and then take myself out to lunch.

I've had offers from friends, to come with, but I feel strong enough to do this myself. It was too early after John's death for the entry to appear last year, so this will be the first time. Today, I feel both my Mum, and John, holding my hands, and urging me forward. God, how I miss them both. xxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Dear Scarlett. How lovely that your granddaughter has sent you a card and that she is such good company for you, also that your son remembered even tho it's not until May in the USA and Europe too, I think. Hopefully your dau will respond positively to your text and you will share Thursday with her. I am glad John and your mother are with you at this time to give you the strength you need.xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foundagoodbooktolivein