Adapted cutlery and one way straws

Tilly13

Jul 27, 2020
Hello
My Dad has advanced Alzheimers and since last week has suddenly had a steep drop - we ( staff and Advanced Nurse Practitioner ) haven't yet established if it is an infection or progression of Dementia.
He was suddenly unable to weight bear and has for some months been sleeping more/ keeping his eyes shut.
He is often physical with Personal care.
He is in a Residential Care Home.

Along with this change he is not eating a lot and seems unsure about how to use his cutlery.
Drinking is slow too and hesitant.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience of using adapted cutlery and would recommend any ?
Also I've seen one way straws and wondered about them too?

Thank you

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
I would get him checked first to see if there are any infections. It's surprising just how much infections affect PWD. It can seem like a step down but may not be.

Tilly13

Jul 27, 2020
Thanks for your reply @jay6
Yes I agree - he really struggled earlier in the year with his recovery from Covid

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
I was surprised just how much infections have an effect. It's now the first thing I look at fi things suddenly change. Only learnt that on here though.

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
My husband was having problems with knife and fork so meals are now either finger food or able to be eaten with a spoon. I also bought playes from the Alzheimer's shop that are blue and have a lip so it keeps the food on the plate and makes scooping it onto the spoon easier.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claire22