Broken hip....i knew this would happen

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Visited mum today, 24 hours plus post surgery, she is very confused still in bed and had no idea who I was. I am hoping tomorrow is better. They have said she is likely to be discharged on Monday back to the nursing home.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Hi lizzie
Had a really distressing visit today. Physically I think she's OK, though she is wriggling round (maybe pain she couldn't say) trying to get out of bed, swearing, cursing, pulled her canula out, wouldn't let the nurse take her BP. I also don't think she's eaten today. Her MH is awful, shouting out for people we don't know, hallucinating dreadfully sating really awful hurtful things to us, we couldn't really talk or ask her anything she just kept telling us to shut up. One thing I was really upset at was she said she wished she was dead, and what kind of daughter was I, she kicked and lashed out at me twice. Both my aunt and I cried when we left. They couldn't give her anything as they couldn't even get near so staff chose to leave her to calm down (it's also easier I guess to walk away).
My aunt described the visit as purgatory, and it was to see her like that.
All this and I go on holiday tomorrow, I wanted to see her relaxed at least but I am also angry that because of this incident she's never going to recover and get the right treatment which she should be having right now.
It's awful, just awful, I hope you find your Mum better than mine TerryN x

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
oh gillybean, I am sorry to hear that your mum was so agitated today.

Don't know what to say.... Only positives I can think of are that she did know you and was showing a lot of fighting spirit at least. I am hoping that by now you may have rung the hospital and got some better news.

Oh dear:(

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I'm so sorry Gillybean, that must have been so distressing for you all. I think that older people are really affected for some time by general anaesthetic, my dad was, even though he did not have dementia, he would hallucintate for several days, imagining terrible things and being so distressed, it was heartbreaking, so maybe some of your mum's confusion and agitation is down to that? It could also be due to being in unfamiliar surroundings too. I do hope that she will be calmer tonight so that you can have some reassurance before you go on holiday x

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Hi Dazmum...I wished I could say it was down to that but I know they just sedated her and she had an epidural, however she seemed better after the sedation, calmer, but now it's back to 'normal' only worse because she can't pace up and down so she's trying to get out of bed, I said to the nurse I was worried about it but she said I don't think she will but i've been proved wrong so I wasn't filled with confidence. They can't even get her to take a sedative :(

My Dad did get much worse after his GA, I know that can happen probably why they used the other method.

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Easier said than done but I hope you can relax & enjoy your holiday. You cannot do anything for her at the moment so you may as well let your husband take the strain for a few days & enjoy this time with your precious daughter.

You definitely deserve it.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Easier said than done but I hope you can relax & enjoy your holiday. You cannot do anything for her at the moment so you may as well let your husband take the strain for a few days & enjoy this time with your precious daughter.

You definitely deserve it.

Thanks Lizziebean, that's the problem, I can't help her anymore.
Hubby has said he will make sure she is 'safe' I will be phoning every day but won't be on here x

onlyme247

May 21, 2014
N.W.England
I really hope you and your daughter enjoy some time I can imagine how difficult that may be but I still wish that for you .Do not eat too much unless your taking a larger sized outfit for coming home.Enjoy!

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Hope you have a good holiday gillybean :). I went and saw mum today. She didn't recognize me or the word mum. I called her by her name and she opened her eyes. I hope this stage doesn't last long.

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Day three post surgery mum could tell me who I was what had no idea about broken hip or where she was. I managed to get her to eat a sandwich
She didn't get out of bed today as she told the staff she wasn't well and slurred her speech. They did a catscan and nothing appeared.
They originally said mum would probably go home tomorrow. That is now likely not to happen

(thought I would give a bit of day by day for a few days just for possible future interest)

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Thank you lizzybean :)
Day 4 mum was quite alert when I arrived. She is now aware she is in a particular hospital but is still querying it. She thinks she is underground
she knew me but was annoyed she wasn't being told anything yet didn't know what she should be informed about.
They did get her up and she walked for about four mins. Though once she was back on her chair she promptly threw up.
Her confuse appears to be abating. (well the new confusion) just hoping they can convince her to continue to walk.

Last edited:

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Hello all.....back after a much needed holiday, it was lovely though I ran up a £20 phone bill calling when I could so I didn't properly switch off but it was nice to not have to have any responsibilities for a week.

So...Mum, when I visited her she was asleep and on waking recognised me. Gone are the days when I can have any sort of conversation, that's just gone completely. She seemed rested though she was still hallucinating talking about weird random things. One thing I'm concerned about is she isn't moving, I mean they don't seem to be mobilising her much, just giving her warfarin. They are also pushing to move her to a rehab home which I don't think will meet her current MH needs we have a meeting for this on Wednesday, more pressure. Another thing that worries me is that she now appears to be incontinent, she wasn't before the operation. And the eating, unless we go and try she has no urge to eat and the staff don't have the time of course, so each time we go we take things up but she soon gets annoyed at us forcing the issue. So I will see how she is tomorrow....I honestly don't even think she realised I had been away, I tried to talk to her about it but it was no good. We had to buy her more new nightwear and clothes as most of it is at the other ward along with all her personal care stuff. Good job we can afford to do it!

Mrs TerryN how's your Mum doing?

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Gillybean mine is almost identical. Mum isn't eating much at all. The nursing home is trying to give her protein drinks but she isn't having a bar of that. I took on fish and chips and she ate most of that. She is very rambling at the moment. She won't walk for them saying they need to wait as she is in pain. She was also a bit chesty today.
I am hoping the physio has more success than the nursing staff as mum flat out refused.
She looks very pale and is sleeping a lot. She has also lost six kilos in three weeks.
We also had to buy new night attire for her.
I hope things are going better for you gillybean

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Glad you had a good break Gillybean

I hope that you have a better visit today-that goes for you as well Mrs T

Love from

Lyn T XX

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Thank you Lyn T your wishes must have helped :). Mum was so much better today.
She was coherent and slightly mobile.
Interesting side note though she can't read the analog clock on her room. She says it is too difficult

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Thank you Lyn T your wishes must have helped :). Mum was so much better today.
She was coherent and slightly mobile.
Interesting side note though she can't read the analog clock on her room. She says it is too difficult

Ah that's good Mrs T.....we have a 'meeting' tomorrow at the hospital :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77