Broken hip....i knew this would happen

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Glad your mum's a bit better Mrs TerryN :)

And welcome back gillybean :) Glad you had a good holiday with your daughter :cool: Good luck with the 'meeting' tomorrow.

All the best :)

Lindy xx

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Gillybean how did the meeting go?

Thanks lindy50 :)

As per this disease, dementia, mum has changed again and has been rambling.

When I visited today :
She didn't realize she wasn't on her news station
She wasn't able to eat her meal without me feeding it to her
She wasn't able to tell a friend why she was unwell (broken hip)
She appears to have pulled all the buttons off her phone
She is making me sad. I am worried.

Though as per usual I will more than likely visit tomorrow and she will be full of beans

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
This is so hard for you both, I can't remember who it was but I'm sure somebody posted a while ago & their parent eventually responded very well & was mobile again, feeding themselves etc.

Fingers crossed!

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Hi all x

Slow progress indeed.....she is still not wanting to mobilise and I have yet to see her out of her bed. The meeting was that we will await to see what the consultant has to say next week and then have a meeting with her on the best way forward. Right now I can't see her leaving there.
On average she eats 1/4 of a sandwich and an ice cream per day so at that rate thing's aren't good. Though today apparently she ate a little better. My aunt took soup and we tried feeding her that and sandwiches, also rice pudding. Bless her my aunt takes things in a flask but after a few spoonfuls she clamps up her mouth.
I will be visiting this weekend, she is also very rude to visitors telling them to sit down and shut up. I think that's a positive though as it's like her 'normal self' well not in the sense she was always this way I mean normal as in a few weeks ago. Amazing how things have changed so fast for her. I can't help feeling angry though she's been denied the MH treatment she so needs as she's still hallucinating and scared, must be awful to be in her world.

Mrs T how's things with you?

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Mrs T and gillybean :)

I am so sorry to hear that things are still so difficult for you and your mums :(

Gilly, this is such a turnaround, it is awful. I do hope your mum takes some liquids and nutrition, and improves at least a bit. As you say, it must be scary to be in her world :( I'm sure it's not pleasant to be in yours, either......

Keeping my fingers crossed and wishing you all the very best

Lindy xx

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Mrs T and gillybean :)

I am so sorry to hear that things are still so difficult for you and your mums :(

Gilly, this is such a turnaround, it is awful. I do hope your mum takes some liquids and nutrition, and improves at least a bit. As you say, it must be scary to be in her world :( I'm sure it's not pleasant to be in yours, either......

Keeping my fingers crossed and wishing you all the very best

Lindy xx

Thanks Lindy x Just taking it one day at a time

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
More worries, visited her tonight to find her bed empty :eek:

They have moved her nearer the nurses station as at 2am she managed to climb out of bed and fell on the floor, whatever next???? And the sides were up :eek:

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Thanks Lindy

Our mothers appear to be similar gillybean

I got there and mum was on the loo. Mum apparently used the walker herself :( though I told the staff and they assisted her back to her chair.
She isn't eating much however is accepting having some foods fed to her. I also have cheese and crackers there for her which I give her.
The have ordered some 'compact' forsip drinks for her to encourage her to have some protein. I hope she drinks them
She is so pallid and frail looking

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
More worries, visited her tonight to find her bed empty :eek:

They have moved her nearer the nurses station as at 2am she managed to climb out of bed and fell on the floor, whatever next???? And the sides were up :eek:

Oh dear gilly :( Hopefully your mum being nearer the nurses will keep her safer :) xx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Thanks Lindy

Our mothers appear to be similar gillybean

I got there and mum was on the loo. Mum apparently used the walker herself :( though I told the staff and they assisted her back to her chair.
She isn't eating much however is accepting having some foods fed to her. I also have cheese and crackers there for her which I give her.
The have ordered some 'compact' forsip drinks for her to encourage her to have some protein. I hope she drinks them
She is so pallid and frail looking

Keep up the good work Mrs T :) Hope your mum is better soon :) xx

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Mum has become mentally worse. Her walking is coming on in leaps and bounds (yep really bad analogy).
Her short term memory is becoming very poor.
Her hallucinations have returned.
Her sentence structure is almost non existent.
I am hoping I am being maudlin for no reason.
Every the duty sister commented how confused she is today. I am not sure that she actually knows who I am.
She also isn't eating much.

count2ten

Dec 13, 2013
Just a week Lindy, a cruise to Ireland and Scotland. I need a total break but know I will be worrying..

Take a deep breath and tell yourself the hospital staff will do their job and take good care of your mum while you are away - your job is to take care of yourself and spend this precious time with your daughter. Nothing bad will happen, you need this break and the time with your daughter - you will have plenty of time to worry about your mum when you get back.

Last edited:

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
I have started another post as Mum isn't mobilising and they are wanting to move her into a care home for 24 hour care, feeling despondent now.

I assumed because she coped with the op she would recover, I think they are assuming she won't now walk again.