Big deterioration in the last few days!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I hope you get through tonight, and tomorrow morning OK. I know it'll feel strange, but you've done more than your best - and nobody could ask for anything else. God Bless xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Lady A

it has taken me seven and a half months to come to terms (somewhat) with Tom being in the CH..

But there is a whole team of people not just me.

And that's the thing, isn't it? It gets to where it needs a whole team of people - especially when you are dealing with someone who, although elderly and a bit unsteady on his feet, is still very heavy and very strong. William has lost a lot of weight in the last year, but he is still 14 stone (about 89kg). And although very strong, he can't get up out of a chair by himself - so I have to lift him. He can't get out of the car by himself - I have to lift him. He can walk around the house aimlessly for a long time, but when we go out, if I don't hold his hand, he will either stop - or walk off in another direction, or keep walking when I stop to put something in the shopping basket! So I have the constant drag on one shoulder. And of course, when we do Manual Handling/Patient Moving courses, we are all taught to "mind our backs" aren't we? So I have - but because of constantly lifting such a heavy weight on my own I now have problems with one knee (using my legs for leverage rather than my back for lifting), have already damaged the sacro-iliac joint on the right side and had to have it injected - that still gives trouble now and then - and now the same joint on the left side is giving a bit of trouble, so I'm minding it carefully! And my neck and shoulders - already troublesome before - are giving a lot of problems too.

So, yes, my sensible head knows full well that it has to be.

onlyme247

May 21, 2014
N.W.England
I wish you well for tomorrow and a new type of strength for the future.Also that William settles so that you find some peace.My thoughts are with you.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Tomorrow will be a day for tears and cheers so make sure that you have some tissues and some chocolate with you, Is there someone who could come with you or if not, will there be someone for you tomorrow night ( apart from us I mean:rolleyes:) I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling, but I hope that you both get some rest tonight.

Wishing you and William peace for the different life coming and serenity to accept that it won't all be plain sailing ( much as we pray for it:D) Night Night....Maureen.x.x.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Will be thinking about you both tomorrow, hope things go as smoothly as possible. x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Tomorrow will be a day for tears and cheers so make sure that you have some tissues and some chocolate with you, Is there someone who could come with you or if not, will there be someone for you tomorrow night ( apart from us I mean:rolleyes:) I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling, but I hope that you both get some rest tonight.

Wishing you and William peace for the different life coming and serenity to accept that it won't all be plain sailing ( much as we pray for it:D) Night Night....Maureen.x.x.

Alas, alas! I have had finally to admit that a lot of my headaches are caused by "chocolate hangover"!!:( It never used to cause a problem - or maybe it was that I used to get so many migraines, that it was impossible to tell. Now, however, it doesn't seem to take much chocolate at all, to give me a sort of hangover headache next day.

Off to bed now - for the first time anyway.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
A friend of ours used to suffer Chocolate Migraines so she never touched the stuff apart from gala*y....it had no averse reactions:rolleyes:...well not until she was obliged to live in the USA for a year..:confused: I had to send her food parcels because the G. choc in the states was nothing like the home grown variety!!!!:rolleyes::D:D

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Dear LadyA :)

So many people have written such eloquent and lovely posts today and over the weeks. I do not know what to add, other than to say that you are both in my thoughts also. I hope that all goes well tomorrow, and am sending every good wish for the days to come. What a change is coming for both of you!

Take care of yourself, rest and allow yourself some peace.

All the best :)

Lindy xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Wishing all goes well for you Lady A . It`s a painful time, as so many of us know, but sadly seems the only alternative.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Thinking of you both Lady A. I do remember those mixed feelings - knowing it's for the best but wishing the move wasn't taking place. Keep strong. J x

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I hope all goes well for you both today and for the futute

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Talking Point mobile app

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
:) As a parting present - we had a peaceful night! William was only up once - he got up, wandered up the hall to his "office", and came straight back and got back into bed - by himself!! So, as I had taken my herbal sleeping tablets - I had gone straight to sleep when I went to bed, woke up briefly when he got up, and went straight back to sleep. So I've had a good night's sleep.

Rather typically though, with the prospect of letting go of years of tension - I appear to be catching a cold! I've warded them off with Vi**s First Defence now for the last few years, but I hadn't any on hand, and by the time I got some yesterday, it seems it may have been too late.:( But at least I will be able to take it easy this week if I do get sick!

Definite dip in the temperature here this morning - a real Autumnal morning - single digit temps! Was only 7C when I got up! A morning for porridge with dried apples and honey from son-in-law's brother's hives!

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Porridge sounds heavenly, especially with the accompaniments to hand in your house. Very Autumnal here too today; a chilling gentle S Westerly coming off the Channel. So glad you both had a peaceful night's sleep to set you up for today. Hope the germs will soon abate - a good clear out sounds like something of a positive option IMHO. Love X Shelagh:)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Dear LadyA. Thinking if you today and hoping all goes well. You will feel very strange for a while, quite other worldly, and very sad. Do take care of yourself and hopefully your cold won't stay around too long. With love and admiration for all you have done. Verity

Sent from my GT-N5110

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Holding your hand today and tomorrow and tomorrow's tomorrow.... Will only let go of it to bash the guilt monster when they arrive....

Strange emotions. A bizarre time.

Much love xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Thinking of you today and future days LadyA. As others have said, when things become so difficult there is sadly no alternative.

Keep strong and I hope your cold clears up soon.

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Lady A, Thinking of you and keeping 'everything crossed' that the move goes smoothly.

I've only just realised (having caught up with your post) that me needing a new knee could be related to having cared for my husband... me 50kg... him 70-75kg...
All the lifting (even off the floor !) ... years of moving and handling .... pushing/pulling...

Orthopaedic Doctors didn't ask . "Have you ever been a carer? We see this a lot in former carers knees"....

Good luck (hugs) for the days and weeks to come xxx