Best Way to Prevent Mom from Falling Out of Bed but Still Allow Freedom to Get Out of Bed

Marygibk

Apr 29, 2024
Hello,

Can anyone suggest what I can buy that will protect my mom from falling out of bed but still allow her to get out of the bed on her own? We have a pressure floor mat that sounds an alarm when she first gets out of bed but sometimes she rolls out of bed and falls on the mat. I still want her to be able to get out of bed on her own so a long bumper or guard rail will not work. Any advise will be very helpful.
Thanks,
Mary

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Not sure what will do that! A crash mat is usually put down for those that roll out, but not good to get out onto.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Marygibk and welcome to the forum, I do not have any suggestions apart from contacting your local occupational therapy service for advice.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Marygibk

Might a bed frame help? Something like this.

M54234.webp

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
This is what my Mum used before she went in to care - worked very well. But the bed needs to be low enough that she can put both feet flat on the floor while sitting on the side of the bed otherwise her feet may slip forward and she will land on her bottom. Getting the occupational therapists involved is important but you might have a long wait

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
Hello,

Can anyone suggest what I can buy that will protect my mom from falling out of bed but still allow her to get out of the bed on her own? We have a pressure floor mat that sounds an alarm when she first gets out of bed but sometimes she rolls out of bed and falls on the mat. I still want her to be able to get out of bed on her own so a long bumper or guard rail will not work. Any advise will be very helpful.
Thanks,
Mary
I have this problem with my oh. I have just purchased an adult bed rail from Amazon. It sits under the mattress and can be fastened at opposite side of bed. Easy to put together. I have it fitted so that he can swing his legs out and he can hold on when he needs to stand tatting dressed. But it keeps him from rolling out of bed.

Attachments

• IMG_1606.png
    IMG_1606.png
    220.2 KB · Views: 40