Benefits of being a carer

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Noorza

That's exactly what she does! The other thing she does is .........we tell her to wait to get out of the car but of course she does not remember and opens the car door before I get round to her and virtually smashes her door against the car next to us! If we had a disabled parking spot she would have more space

I think if you emphasise the danger she is to herself and others the council SHOULD look favourably on your application, they used to in my city I have had mum's on the grounds of her physical health for years.

annied55

Dec 11, 2011
manchester
What about council tax reduction?
Natioal trust only charge for cared for. carer admitted free.
Dont forget the ever so generous Carers Allowance if not already mentioned xxx

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
What about council tax reduction?
Natioal trust only charge for cared for. carer admitted free.
Dont forget the ever so generous Carers Allowance if not already mentioned xxx

Lots of amusement parks like Alton Towers give a free carer ticket when selling the other ticket to a disabled person.:D

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Can't imagine MIL going to Alton Towers :D

But National Trust now that would be useful x

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Can't imagine MIL going to Alton Towers :D

But National Trust now that would be useful x

I could just imagine putting my mum on "The Smiler" the 14 loop ride. That would keep her quiet for a bit lol.

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
All news to me. Only knew about carers allowance - knew nothing about other benefits. I don't see any benefits to being a carer, just stress, anxiety and feeling ill!

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
All news to me. Only knew about carers allowance - knew nothing about other benefits. I don't see any benefits to being a carer, just stress, anxiety and feeling ill!

You definately get those thrown in for free too.

Robstick

May 4, 2013
Just checked on carers allowance, must admit not looked at as work full time and visit mum as 4th carer at night to see her to bed. Now know why...

- You must be 16 years old or over.
- You must look after someone for at least 35 hours a week.
- The person you look after must receive a qualifying disability benefit.
- If you work, you must not have net earnings above £100 a week. For more information on this, see the section on caring and earnings below.
- You must not get certain other benefits. See overlapping benefit rules below for details.
- You must be living in the UK when you claim Carer's Allowance and satisfy certain residence and immigration rules.
- You must not be a full-time student.

So you get £59.75 per week for 35 hours of looking after someone...

I know we do it because of love for our nearest and dearest but how can this be right...

Choose your own expletive...

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Back on track

Thank you izzy! I knew someone would be intelligent enough to find this x x x x

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Blue Badge application

I have completed a photocopy of the application for the blue badge. Tomorrow I will finish it and take it to the library. Hopefully I will get one! Thank you izzy x

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Thank you. Still looking for any other things that I may be able to get as a carer

Carers support have been fantastic. I have someone come every other Monday from 10.00-17.00. But now she will come 09.30-17.00hrs. And they are giving me an extra day on a Saturday 09.30-17.00 although it is a one off. I can not thank them all enough. I make sure I don't come back until 5 minutes before she goes home to get the most of it.

Hubby and I have precious time together. I know it is not any help to anyone else here, and I am sorry about that.

Bit fed up by all the baby talk. MIL has had it on since 09.00hrs on BBC news 24 :eek: Now waiting for William and Kate to come out with baby...............hubby has lost the will to live and is reading some which mags that someone gave him

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I haven't watched one moment of the baby stuff. I turned off the radio and I don't buy newspapers. I skipped all the stuff in the online newspaper I subscribe to.

I never have been a baby person but that aside I think all this hoo ha about it is ridiculous. People have travelled miles to be outside Buckingham Palace? Good grief!!

Sorry - wrong thread - should have been in the Grumble Grumble thread!!