Benefits of being a carer

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...I wonder if I would pass the written part of the driving test. No such thing in my day..."

Nor for me, did you have the pleasure of all the hand signals like I did in 1952?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It was a tad later than 1952 as I was born in 1951! Yes though I still had to do hand signals when I did my test in 1972. I bet not many people know the hand signal for turning left!!!:D

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
To a policeman on point duty or to following traffic?

Moving off signal whilst hill starting was fun.

Is thread hijacking allowed?!!

I'm having a cold sweat just thinking of it! Sorry for the hijack!

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Brilliant thread!

This is talking about disability, as MIL is 85 does dementia and getting Attendance Allowance (the higher amount) include all these benefits?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
You have to apply for a blue badge and you need to think carefully about what you write in the application form. I had one for mum butbshenhas a wheelchair. I was less confident about getting one for Bill but I got it.

I got a free radar key for disabled access toilets from the council. I used Bill's attendance allowance letter as proof of disability. I think this is also what I used when I bout the disabled person's rail card.

Assistance at airports requires no proof of disability.

The disability is mental incapacity as far as I'm concerned.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
When I applied for Blue badge they phoned me and said just because MIL was 85 and had dementia it didn't mean she could get it. Also a friend of mine applied and she had to go and walk about 100 yards which she did well so was refused the blue badge even though she has heart problems and has difficulty in the winter. MIL would 'rise' to the occasion if asked to demonstrate her walking ability and march along.......don't know what to do????

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Nobody came to see Bill. I made a lot of emphasis in the application on the fact that I can't drop Bill off to go and park or leave him waiting for me if I go to collect the car. He would be most likely to wander off. I also emphasised the toilet issue. If Bill needs to go to the loo needs to go as soon as possible. I wrote about the need to park as close to a disabled access loo as possible. I took extracts of my letters to the two doctors and used these in my application. I don't know if they were contacted or not.

I'm not sure if I kept my application or not. If I did I would be happy to email it to you to let you see how I filled it in. I'll need to check on my laptop later. I'm on the ipad just now.

I suppose each council is different in the way they view applications.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
When I applied for Blue badge they phoned me and said just because MIL was 85 and had dementia it didn't mean she could get it. Also a friend of mine applied and she had to go and walk about 100 yards which she did well so was refused the blue badge even though she has heart problems and has difficulty in the winter. MIL would 'rise' to the occasion if asked to demonstrate her walking ability and march along.......don't know what to do????

You can apply on the grounds of them being a danger to themselves or to other road users. So if MIL can walk but she might walk into the road/traffic without looking that SHOULD be enough even if she sprinted like Linford Christie. :D

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Noorza

That's exactly what she does! The other thing she does is .........we tell her to wait to get out of the car but of course she does not remember and opens the car door before I get round to her and virtually smashes her door against the car next to us! If we had a disabled parking spot she would have more space

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Noorza I think that sums up our position exactly. I made the emphasis as described in your link and I got the doctors' support. I still think it was our council's discretion which allowed us to get the badge.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
For some reason the link will not open for me. I know I am a pain but does anyone know which fact sheet it is please?

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I have tried google and it will not let me get the alz soc at all! It shows as I have no connection which of course I have as I am on this site! Help!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It seems to be in the frequently asked questions section - 'Frequently asked questions from our National Dementia Helpline' August 2010.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coop597