Becoming my Mum's Carer...

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi HillyBilly
if you do think that, please get her GP and district nurse involved - dad needed the services of the hospital to be 'flushed out' properly, not sure the lactulose will suffice

all the best ;)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Shedrech could be right - particularly as your mum has had this problem since she arrived with you.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Got two cups of tea into Mum, no food. Edit: I forgot, I gave her a bowl of porridge.
We've had another mini explosion...not pretty.
I'm going to have to dismantle the toilet when this is all over in order to clean it :eek: ...and redecorate ;)
Rang PHN (and actually got to speak to her instead of answering machine!).
She advised to take Mum to GP.
Easier said than done.
Got an appointment with GP for 3.30pm.
Am trying to keep Mum up and walking on her frame, then going for a sit down on the toilet...
Poor Mum doesn't understand...

Last edited:

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Not overflow diarrhoea according to GP, nothing up there :(

Been presented with a sampling kit and the helpful advice, "There's no easy way to do this..."

If that reveals nothing then it's camera up the bum time :eek:

Not a totally wasted visit as Mum had the flu jab and a pneumonia jab while she was there...

(After my last bathroom clean up session, the expression on OH's face when I asked him how much white emulsion paint we have left was priceless :D )

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
When I bought my first apartment years ago, I painted the kitchen white. I can still hear my mother scathingly saying " You'll regret painting it white - it will show every bit of dirt!" To which I replied, "Well the way I look at it, either it's dirty or it isn't. The fact that the dirt doesn't show doesn't alter the fact that it's there, and the place needs cleaning. "

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Perhaps HB should paint the bathroom...brown?

Or just tile the walls!

(Sorry, poor attempt at humour. No offense intended.)

I'm glad you got the flu and pneumonia jabs while you were at the doctor's appointment. Hope it wasn't too much of a trial to get her there and home. How's the Trouser Situation?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Perhaps HB should paint the bathroom...brown?

Or just tile the walls!

(Sorry, poor attempt at humour. No offense intended.)

I'm glad you got the flu and pneumonia jabs while you were at the doctor's appointment. Hope it wasn't too much of a trial to get her there and home. How's the Trouser Situation?

Perhaps not a "solid" colour? A pattern? (sorry, HB!)

And oh, bleah - I need to go get my own flu jab. But right now, I appear to have, for the first time in my life, a UTI, so unless it clears up by itself in a day or two, it'll be a trip to the doc for me. Better postpone the flu jab until it's gone, I suppose.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Yes thank you all for the interior design tips :D

How's the Trouser Situation?
On a knife edge, Amy, on a knife edge!

Poor you LadyA. Drink plenty of bicarbonate of soda dissolved in water. It's vile but does the trick x

For someone who's had hours of horrendous D-word, had 2 jabs and then a GP's finger up the bum, Mum's in remarkably good spirits...

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Lady A, very sorry to hear you have a UTI. No fun, that's for sure, and no, I wouldn't get the flu jab while you have it. Hope it clears up for you as soon as possible.

HillyBilly, perhaps you need a sort of Defcon warning system for the trousers? Trouser Alert now at high level? Trouser Threat levels?

Your comment about your mum's state of mind nearly made me spit my water all over the desk. Thank you for the laugh; the first one today!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Will try the bicarb. :p
Mind you - I can now understand why it affects the behaviour of PWD so much! I didn't have a high temperature or anything, but boy, was I out of sorts yesterday! Felt tired, sorry for myself, uncomfortable, and uncharacteristically cross with the world!

Last edited:

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
HillyBilly - It's not the easy option for you but it does sound as if you made the right decision delaying your mum going into care - if she is going to possibly need treatment, if she's at home you will be able to keep a much better eye on how she is. Fingers crossed it just calms down by itself, we all feel for you and your poor mum!

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
If you're reading this LadyA, I hope you're feeling better now?

We've had no more of the D-word here which is good. Mum went to day care today, bit later than usual as she decided she was going to sit on the toilet for half an hour after getting up. During the night she seems to be able to get there and back in minutes sometimes. We (OH and I) are attuned to listening out for the clippety clop of the walking frame. We try and track her movements...sometimes one of us will fall back asleep and then wake up, asking the other, "Any idea where she is?". It is comical. Well, the day after it's a bit comical. Not at 4am it's not.

On the way to day care this morning Mum came out with, randomly, "There used to be a saying - "Life's a ***** and then you die"". Yep Mum, that saying still exists.

Sundowning this evening, culminating in a tantrum over her non-ability to remove her dentures. My fault of course. I've made her life hell since she's been here. Plus her arms feel sore from her jabs yesterday so any time we help her to get up she yelps.

I have cheap LIDL white wine, the dog has a whole sofa and OH is listening to The Clash :D

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Was one of those jabs for flu? this year I have decided to take up the nhs offer of free flu jab for carers and I just know it is going to be painful, hate injections but hate the pain after even more!

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Yes, Mum had the flu jab and one for pneumonia. One in each arm. Didn't know they were available for carers too - not been mentioned to me, maybe it's different in the UK. TBH am not a fan of jabs...I don't trust what could be in 'em! But what with Mum going to Day Care I thought it would be for the best, for her.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Not sure what qualifies me, think it has something to do with being over 60, on carers benefit or no employed income. I am not looking forward to it, quite happy to push mum in there, but I hate the idea for myself, but this year I have had 2 bouts of what I think was flu and they just knocked me out. Still come Friday I may just chicken out!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yes, hb, as a Carer, you are as far as I know, entitled to the flu jab. It doesn't cost a lot anyway, a lot of the chemists do it. I've been getting it for about 20 years, since having the only bout of real 'flu I ever had. I was so ill I couldn't even get to my bed, much less a doctor! William was away at the time, and dau, who was only about 12, kept things going making cups of tea and things. I lay on the couch, drifting in and out of consciousness for a few days. And it left me with long term affects, "intolerances" I didnt have before. Never wanted another dose like that!!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Tin - you qualify as a 'carer' if you notify your GP you are a carer, not means tested.

I think in the UK over 60s qualify automatically and anyone with asthma. Son has an asthma review next week so am hoping asthma nurse will do our flu jabs whilst we are there (she lives in our road).

Our local chemist is advertising it for £8.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Yes, hb, as a Carer, you are as far as I know, entitled to the flu jab. It doesn't cost a lot anyway, a lot of the chemists do it. I've been getting it for about 20 years, since having the only bout of real 'flu I ever had. I was so ill I couldn't even get to my bed, much less a doctor! William was away at the time, and dau, who was only about 12, kept things going making cups of tea and things. I lay on the couch, drifting in and out of consciousness for a few days. And it left me with long term affects, "intolerances" I didnt have before. Never wanted another dose like that!!

And your description is why I will probably go ahead, being unable to move or do anything even taking a bath is hard then double all that for mum!

The last time I had a flu jab was back in the 90's and cost around £30, I think.