BBC Breakfast

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Good morning everyone,

They are discussing the impact of football on dementia again on BBC Breakfast.

MaNaAk

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Yes, Gordon McQueen, footballer (Leeds Utd, Man Utd and Scotland) aged 70 has just died, after a struggle with dementia. I think his daughter Hayley is a commentator for one of the Sky sports channels or similar. It seems a higher percentage of footballers (heading the ball a lot) than would be expected are more likely to get dementia. This is interesting because the usual explanation for dementia / alzheimer's onset is about the digestive system and failure to break down amyloid proteins that then accumulate in the brain, rather than shaking it all up in heading a ball.

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
I suppose this just goes to show how much we still have to learn about what causes dementia. It seems that every new ‘breakthrough’ we hear about is, in reality, yet more stumbling around in the dark. Amyloid proteins seem to be a factor, yet there are people who clearly have dementia but whose scans do not show amyloids.

There is so much clear evidence showing that head injuries can play a huge part in later life dementia, yet as @Chizz says, it’s hard to square that with the latest theory that it all boils down to gut health and ultra processed food. Science still has a long way to go.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
What a player Gordon McQueen was, and by all accounts a wonderful person as well. Scotland used to batter England in the 70s and he was at the heart of that team. The only mistake he ever made was signing for that side from Trafford!

As @Chizz says footballers who head the ball a lot are at a much higher risk (especially central defenders and forwards). 70 is such a young age, now, this must have been the cause in Gordon's case.

Another possible cause that seems possible to me is not getting enough deep sleep, also I've heard too much sugar could play a part - who knows?

At the moment dementia has us by the short and curlies.

Last edited: