Timothy West and Prunella Scales

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I am reading their book for the Alzheimer’s magazine - but still in the early chapters

i don’t know how I would manage such a long, slow decline…

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband lived with his diagnosis of dementia for 15 years. I’m pretty sure the dementia was there a good few years before he was diagnosed. It’s a mixed blessing I think.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
My mum's in mid stage dementia now, but we still have happy moments. Would I want her to have full use of her faculties - of course, and it is a tragedy that anyone should go through this. But she's still there, doesn't know I'm me, of course, but even saying that isn't quite right.

She still enjoys having a quick chat and a smile with people we meet on our walks. Longer chats would be a struggle. And there are definitely challenging times too! Just not all the time.

When it comes to the end stage, maybe that's a different matter - bedbound, not able to communicate, one wouldn't want that to go on for too long.

Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
she looks very loved. she has vascular which i thought she had alzheimers. when she was asked a question, it was sad that she had to ask husband what she should say. he looks so patient. not sure if they have help to lighten the load

Rubina

Dec 19, 2019
I watched Timothy West and Prunella with very mixed feelings. I wonder if the average viewer would think that everyone‘s experience of dementia would be like that. There are very devoted , caring partners out there whose lives are so very difficult and exhausting who couldn’t put their hand on their heart and say ‘ but we’re coping’. Carers who no longer recognise ,or at times, like their partners. Carers who are beyond tired and can’t see any light at the end of the tunnel. I so hope that my comment isn’t cynical, because I genuinely believe that some people can have a ‘contented’ dementia, I just wish everyone could.