Aricept,

IMSOSAD

Oct 14, 2011
My father has been on aricept for 18 month now,
the last 6 month he has got worst,
not knowing who i'am , not reconising the house .
The consultant said that he is in the modert to severe stage of his dementia,
he saw the memory nurse and scored 18 on mmt, so they gave him 6 more month of aricept,
but not sure if aricept is just prolonging the agony for him and me,
have seen a few people on talking point sayig that they also have stopped giving the aricept,
also some said the their gp told them that if their loved one had dementia the would'nt give them any form of medcation,
am i being selfish or am i making sence
can't see what the aricept is doing to give him a better quality of life,
all i can see is that he is in a little world of his own,
don't know where to turn or do,
what a life.

Jenijill

Mar 12, 2012
Guildford
I really sympathise with you, it's very difficult to know what's best. I understand that Aricept doesn't actually improve the symptoms, just slows the progress of the disease (if you're lucky!) I would say just go with the doctors advice of 6 months more of Aricept (my OH scored 18 at last test and he's still on it) and see how it goes. But don't expect too much of the medication, it's not a miracle cure :(

Try and take each day as it comes and don't look into the future, is my philosophy :cool:

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
I am very sympathetic. I think the doctors are very limited in what they can do with any dementia sufferer. We have not yet found anything that really helps.
My experience is simply that I don't know whether or not it is making any difference to my husband's disease.
So we take the doctors' advice and my husband takes the aricept.

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
If my Mum took an MMSE test she would score zero :(. She is still on Aricept though. No idea why.
Nanak
missing what has gone and scared of what is to come

Derek61

May 11, 2012
I know that I'm probably clutching at straws for you here, but has your dad been tested for diabetes? The reason I mention it is that we didn't know that my mum was diabetic until she was going to go on a drug trial for Dimebon. Before she could take the trial she had a full medical, and diabetes was found. After that we stopped all the cakes, sweets and chocolate, and the confusion decreased markedly. She still has her moments when she is confused (sundowning) but much better than before.

IMSOSAD

Oct 14, 2011
Aricept

Thanks for your help and advice,
does any body know if the person with dementia on aricept, also be given ebixa to help with confusion and aggitation,
or can they only take one or the other,
i will also take dad to gp to see if he has dibetes, as he does go to toilet quiet alot,

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
not sure if aricept is just prolonging the agony for him and me,

Aricept will not increase or decrease lifespan it is meant to hold the symptoms back and sometimes there is a temporary improvement. If stopped too early the person's dementia symptoms could take a big decline. My husband was on it for approximately 8 years but was stopped as it was evident there was no longer any benefit from it.

There will always be different experiences as sufferers to seem to react in different ways. I think a few people have taken both Aricept and Ebixa but there are varying views about the benefit. It is better to ask the MH Consultant about this but it is unlikely they will prescribe both drugs together.

I am sorry your Father is getting worse and I do think it is a good idea for him to have a check up with the GP. I hope you can go with him as its a good chance for you to discuss any worrying points with him.

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
does any body know if the person with dementia on aricept, also be given ebixa to help with confusion and aggitation,
or can they only take one or the other

Mum has never been offered Ebixa. As far as I am aware it is one or the other but I could be (and often am :D) wrong
Nanak
missing what has gone and scared of what is to come