Applying for LPA

uselessdaughter

Jun 8, 2009
West Country
Hi

Has anyone successfully completed the LPA forms for Property and Financial Affairs? I am in the process of doing these on behalf of my Dad. It will be very straightforward. He wants it set up so that my brother and I can handle (together and independently) his finances and the sale of his house if/when this becomes necessary. There will be just my brother and I as Attorney’s, with my husband and my brother's wife as reserves should anything happen to either of us. There are no special requests or conditions and we will not receive any fee for doing this. His Doctor has agreed to be the Certificate Provider and my uncle will be named as a person who needs to be notified when the document comes into force.

It is all very simple so is there really a need to pay a solicitor to do it for us? There is nil chance that my brother and I will disagree over any of the decisions that may need to be made. Any advice would be welcome.

Linda

Val_B

Oct 27, 2009
Scotland
I have done it and all we did was tick the boxes and follow the instructions. We did not use a solicitor. I am not offering advice or a recommendation but simply saying that's what we did. Our LPA (financial) has been registered with the Public Guardian and I am now using it successfully to help my mother manage her financial affairs.

ChristineR62

Oct 12, 2009
NW England
I've filled the forms in for both LPAs. A neighbour, who has known Mum for over 70 years, agreed to be the Certificate Provider. I don't envisage any problems when I come to get them registered, as we followed the instructions to the letter. I know of other people, too, who have filled them in without involving solicitors.

In our case, it was simply the case that we couldn't afford to involve a solicitor!

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Hi Linda,
Yes, I did all the forms for my mums LPAs and without the use of a solicitor. My situation is very like yours with my brother and I being attorneys and all being kept as simple as possible. That was at the beginning of the year and I haven't had any problems since they came through.

If it is all straightforward, I don't see why you can't go ahead without paying for a solicitor. Go for it - my only advice is to check and double check the forms before sending off. (I did miss the fact that the GP hadn't ticked one box and it held things up for a little while, but it all came through in the end).
Good Luck.
Gill x

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
hi lynda, i too have done LPA for both care and finances and did it through a solicitor friend it never cost anything. and it was easier than i thought .

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Linda,

Make sure you are using the new forms which came out in October this year.

Check and re-check the form that you haven't missed ticking any boxes that should be ticked, and that you have crossed out boxes where instructed.

Also check the order in which the form should be signed - i.e. your dad signs and dates the form first, then the doctor and lastly the attorneys.

uselessdaughter

Jun 8, 2009
West Country
Thanks ...

for all your replies. It looks as if it should be possible to do this without involving a solicitor. It is comforting to see that other people have achieved this successfully.

Sue, I was a bit concerned about your remarks about the new forms which came out recently as I have already filled everything in but have been waiting for ages for a reply from Dad's Doctor who has now agreed to act as the Certificate Provider. I phoned the Office of the Public Guardian and they have assured me I don't have to start again as the old forms will be vaild until March 2011. Phew!

Thanks again everyone.

Linda

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
When I was helping a neighbour do their LPA a few weeks ago I had to ring the Help Line.

During the conversation the Help Person told me that when the application forms and fee are sent in I should tell my neighbour to send a covering letter asking for “two free office copies (certified copies), which could then be used as required, as the proper LPA should be locked away to keep it safe”.

I have not seen this advice on either their Web Site or in the literature that comes with the forms… but then I may have missed something obvious.

Clive

ChristineR62

Oct 12, 2009
NW England
When I was helping a neighbour do their LPA a few weeks ago I had to ring the Help Line.

During the conversation the Help Person told me that when the application forms and fee are sent in I should tell my neighbour to send a covering letter asking for “two free office copies (certified copies), which could then be used as required, as the proper LPA should be locked away to keep it safe”.

I have not seen this advice on either their Web Site or in the literature that comes with the forms… but then I may have missed something obvious.

Clive

Thanks for that, Clive. I remember reading something similar somehwere else, but it definitely wasn't on the Public Guardian website - I remember looking on there after I'd read it, but I couldn't find it anywhere.