Lpa

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
Nitram, I have to tell you that your link was most enlightening! It may even help my case for my mother being financially exploited - I have used law society notes for other information but not for LPAs.

Thank you so much!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Surely an Appointeeship for financial matters is all that is necessary here. Health and Welfare is debatable too if you are next of kin though I guess if there is already an element of dispute, it might be advisable. However, with joint agreement necessary for everything, any dispute will continue and nothing will get resolved.

kevwright

Aug 4, 2012
Suffolk
OK, I think now we only need the Welfare LPA, and can actually find people who need ot know (can be my SO and my Brothers SO right?), but my brother seems to think we don't need an LPA as (in his words) "I am next of kin and would have to act for her in law, and if anything happens to me you have to take over"

Before I speak to him, I wanted to be sure, but everything I have read suggests in the UK "next of kin" means just about buggar all?

For clarity, finance is not an issue, all I am bothered about is stopping Doctors, Health Workers and SS people from deciding later on what is best for my Mum with us unable to do anything, and as I read it ATM, we DO need an LPA?

Kev

JMU

Feb 17, 2012
Cornwall
I've just been through this myself. I didn't start filling in the forms until I was sure I fully understood them. If you are informing anyone of the LPA (form LPA001) you only need one certificate provider, if not then you need two. The certificate provider can be a professional or a close friend or neighbour (but not relative). My father also was unable to fill out the forms so I did it from myself and paid the fee myself, which is okay, just be careful you fill in the right bits of the form. The idea for the certificate provider is that they guarantee you aren't doing anything dodgy.
It's seems I've filled the form in okay, because I've now had confirmation back that all is in process.
As for attorneys, I chose my sister to be my replacement attorney. She only then acts if anything happens to me.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I thought the Certificate provider had to sign that your relative had the mental capacity to understand what he/she is signing. If they don't they cannot undertake an LPA. You cannot sign on your relative's behalf.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Before I speak to him, I wanted to be sure, but everything I have read suggests in the UK "next of kin" means just about buggar all?
I think in uk law, next of kin means exactly as you stated
but many many do take note of N O K wishes
Personally I dont like leaving things like that to trust

So in my opinion having a LPA are best as it will give you far more say as the PTB (powers that be) do have to at the very least listen to you

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
PeggySmith said:
You need only have one certificate provider (in our case GP) but in that case you must have two (min) persons to be told.

Peggy - can I just correct you on something? You do not need two people to be told. With just one certificate provider, you can have just one person to be told.