Annual GP Dementia Reviews

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
I often wonder that myself! It always seems to be very quiet anytime I go there.
You must go to the same surgery as me and OH. We can sometimes get an appointment with a nurse or a clinician (which I use to think was a doctor, but have now been informed isn`t!). When I have asked to see a "doctor" I have been told they are all fully booked for at least a month or two in advance!!! No wonder the surgery waiting room is virtually empty.

Harky

Oct 13, 2021
On another theme, my OH and myself have been thorough numerous stages of dementia and on this forum I've been given useful advice and also given some. Her latest thing is continually talking rubbish all day and also reading everything on the TV screen that comes up and also all road signs when out in the car. Also counts the number of oncoming cars. It's not a problem as it keeps her occupied all the time. I just interact occasionally with some other subjects and she's fine. We spend all day talking absolute rubbish. The most important thing is, she appears to be content. Has anyone else experienced this phase?

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @HughMa

When my OH was formally diagnosed with Alz's, she was prescribed Donepezil 10mg. (This has been no problem.) They (the Dementia Hub/ Memory Clinic) actually told us that we were now "on your own"

Yes, you can get LA ASS to carry out a care plan to see what help PWD needs, and/or a carer's plan to see what help carer needs. Yes, you can get GP surgery to do an annual medication review, but otherwise they will not even check up on PWD unless there is a problem reported to them. If you have a concern get on to your GP surgery, if you can get through. Caring teaches you determination. perseverance and stamina.

All dementia types are physical malfunctions on the brain, and dementia is a terminal illness, like motor neurone disease, etc - NHS cannot do anything other than meds to try and arrest progression, but it doesn't really, and so the system ignores dementia patients, unless they're causing a problem (eg violence)
The ignoring is the system!

Yes, there is a shortish window when a PWD can enjoy and participate in activities (eg, Men's Shed, Memory Singers, Forget-me-Not Cafe, craft groups, exercise groups, etc) mostly, if not all, organised by churches, charities, and carers' organisations.
Otherwise, the only friendly "faces" with sympathy, empathy, experience and advice is this forum. Thanks to all forum participants! 🫶👍:)

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My own GP practice does ‘old age’ annual reviews but the Practice nurse does them not the GP. It was the same for Pauline at her practice and, before Covid, she had two memory test reviews and then they stopped. This year she was called in and practice nurse did a mini memory test with her but nothing changed from it. Since then I have tranfered her to my practice and no idea if they do annual reviews of denmentia.

LouiseW

Oct 18, 2021
hi, not having a review may be a good thing. I went with my Dad to a random one instigated by his GP.

I was horrified when the GP who clearly had not read Dads notes (Lewy Body Dementia deiagnosis years before and numerous hospitsl visits due to falls, loss of blood pressure, vomiting etc) and told him that he had nothing wrong with him, was aging really well and that if in the future he had any issues that Social Services wouls wrap him in cotton wool and meet his every need.

At the time I was fighting Social Services to show some interest ( not a priority as he has local family) and was loosing alot of sleep over him cancelling his carers because in his opinion he didn't need any support.

Awful and worse than useless

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
My own GP practice does ‘old age’ annual reviews but the Practice nurse does them not the GP. It was the same for Pauline at her practice and, before Covid, she had two memory test reviews and then they stopped. This year she was called in and practice nurse did a mini memory test with her but nothing changed from it. Since then I have tranfered her to my practice and no idea if they do annual reviews of denmentia.
Wow @Agzy I'm impressed with your OH's former Drs' surgery. We don't get contacted, unless we report a problem, or because of needing covid or flu or shingles or pneumonia jab. The Incontinence Nurse does an annual review, as does the company supplying the home equipment for a service/check up.

I was told that they (medical profession) don't see the point in a dementia review or further cognitive testing, once a diagnosis has been made, because the progression is only going one way, and it doesn't really matter how speedily or slowly that progression is. No point wasting resources they haven't got!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We used to have a major overhaul/ review after age 70, initially was a detailed questionnaire with a practice nurse - weight, BP etc then you would have a long consult with GP to go over any concerns. COVID put a stop to all that.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
A few years ago, we ended up at Casualty as OH was having a major nose bleed and was treated by a doctor from UK. He told us that there are a lot of doctors from UK working in Australia because the NHS was crumbling. I think our system is failing too.

Carmenjane

Mar 17, 2022
I am very relieved that because my OH is in a good care home his meds and care plan are in constant review. He's recently been seen by a mental health nurse who has suggested trying an increase in his anti-depressants. The GP also attends for what I would consider fairly minor problems because the care home can't use over the counter medications like antihistamine or eye drops without a prescription. It's shocking that people who are cared for at home get no help from the medical profession.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I tend to agree that a review with a GP (if available) would not achieve much. Dementia is progressive so it is highly likely to worsen year on year. One doesn't need a doctor to point that out. What is more useful is getting relevant professionals to agree and update care plans. That can be a battle in the domestic setting when social services are involved but much easier in a care home setting.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
My husband had one with a nurse from the practice who also did a carer review. The carer review was poor in my view, think she was scared of what she’d uncover if she asked too many questions!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I tend to agree that a review with a GP (if available) would not achieve much. Dementia is progressive so it is highly likely to worsen year on year. One doesn't need a doctor to point that out. What is more useful is getting relevant professionals to agree and update care plans. That can be a battle in the domestic setting when social services are involved but much easier in a care home setting.
OH used to see the geriatrician every six months but after 7 years he was then non diagnosed.

No diagnosis so no reviews. His diagnosis was changed three times during the seven years so all those reviews didn’t really mean much but it would have been good to have had the geriatrician attempt to come to some firm conclusions.

The little assistance I get is because of my husbands heart condition, not dementia.

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
My partner has an annual review at the surgery for his emphysema even though he attends the respiratory clinic every 6 months and a full report is sent through to the surgery. When I asked why it was necessary to also attend the surgery review I was told that if he didn`t his relating medication (tablets and inhalers) would be stopped! OH also has to go to the surgery for an annual review in regard to his heart condition, again despite the fact that he sees the cardiologist regularly. Again, when asked, the surgery told me that OH`s medication would be stopped if he did not attend their review! As far as OH`s vascular dementia is concerned there are no reviews whatsoever! No medication involved!! There`s a surprise!!!

Harky

Oct 13, 2021
Nobody interested in people with dementia. Possibly because there is no cure. They just try to avoid any contact. Even our local dementia office are useless in my humble opinion. Earlier this year I was in contact with a specific question, was given a day when they would phone. It was CANCELLED 3 TIMES. I've just given up, you can get more answers on this site from people who are actually dealing with the various problems. Also, I find that people in these jobs move on regularly meaning you get no continuity. It's so frustrating.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
When I moved mum to a care home near me she was signed up to a local GP surgery (not mine) because the GPs there apparently 'did all the residents in the home'.

One time I was invited in to 'an annual GP review'. The doc saw mum for a while then came to see me. He looked at me gravely and just said, 'She's getting worse, isn't she?' I agreed but then he said, 'But how are YOU managing?' It was the kindest/nicest thing anyone had said to me for years! And totally unexpected. Of course, I collapsed in a heap of tears and poured my heart out. There was nothing he could actually do but he was so nice and listened to my woes for ages. I will never forget his kindness and understanding. I think he must have been the only medic I spoke to during the whole sorry time who really understood dementia and also what I was going through.

But his comments on mum summed it up really. I never saw him again though mum was in the home for 3 years.

Illy

May 11, 2013
Manchester
@HughMa Didn't even know they did a review and if they are now done by an OT, they'll be no chance as we've never even seen once since OH was diagnosed.
same here, not had anything at all since diagnosis in 2015 - it's like we just fell off the radar completely

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019

I was looking at the report from the memory clinic when My OH was diagnosed with Alzheimers and found that it includes a care plan with a review in 6 months. Not sure who was supposed to review but it didn't happen.​

I've been told that PWDs should have an annual review but OH has never been called for one though when I asked at the surgery they agreed to arrange one and as @SAP 's experience I have had a really good response from GPs/locums when I have arranged appointments for checks etc. I tried to google if it was a right but only found some NHS England that was marked guidance saying that an annual review should be undertaken. I also found the extract below which isn't clear about who should instigate the review the GP or the patient. My OH has Lymphoma and heart problems but is never ill - touch wood so I am debating whether to request a review - however reading the extract below I can't think what good it would be especially after reading the first sentence - my OH has never acknowledged his diagnosis and will not listen if told it. I have obviously tried in the past to discuss it but he does not want to know and who am I to say refusing to think about it isn't the best strategy available to him. I think if you feel a review would be beneficial you should ask your GP - in a way I feel we all should ask for them to encourage the NHS to take notice of us - if we were more of a nuisance we might get more action - while we battle on behind closed doors we are perhaps not helping ourselves.

Understanding the diagnosis​

The GP will check that the person with dementia understands their diagnosis. They may confirm which type of dementia they have, for example Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia or another type, and what this means.

Welfare questions​

To make sure everyone is safe and well, the GP may check whether the person with dementia or their carer is at risk of harm, or of not looking after themselves properly.

They may ask whether there is anything causing them to feel stressed or uncomfortable. The GP might also ask about the person’s hobbies, interests or how they are managing daily activities.

They may ask what living well means to the person with dementia, and what support they need to continue to live well.

Contact details​

The GP should check that the contact details of the person’s carer, family or friends are up-to-date. If you are a patient at the same GP practice, you should be offered a carer’s assessment and review of your own.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Good point @Sue741215

Alz society should design a template we can all fill in and send to GPs requesting the annual review….and then at the review hand in something in writing going through the above. If it’s in writing it has to be uploaded onto the notes.

I have to say mum was offered one this time last year and declined. She now would accept tho if I said it was happening.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ameads